October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Godzilla: Tokyo Clash Crushes It - Review

More
25 Jun 2020 12:32 #311378 by Michael Barnes
Now, as a lifelong Godzilla fan, I must admit that...

One of the worst board games I’ve ever played was a Godzilla game- the late Richard Berg’s Godzilla: Kaiju World Wars was a tremendous misfire executed by a designer who pretty clearly just didn’t really understand what the Kaiju thing was all about and also didn’t bother to turn in a complete, coherent set of rules to the publisher prior to printing. Apparently a complete overhaul of the rules was eventually released but I just went back to off-brand offerings like Avalon Hill’s classic Monsters Menace America and Garfield’s oddly everlasting King of Tokyo to get my kaiju kicks. 

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2020 16:44 #311383 by ubarose
I really want to play this. And I really want to play it with Josh Look. Damn this stupid killer virus.

More
25 Jun 2020 17:01 #311384 by ChristopherMD
You had me at Jet Jaguar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
25 Jun 2020 19:39 #311386 by Andi Lennon
Oh man, I've just convinced myself I need Unmatched:Cobble & Fog, and now this....

This will tie in well with a running joke my friends and I have about Mothra just constantly waiting by the phone for his agent to call.

"Jerry you're killing me here.. I have larvae to feed..."

More
25 Jun 2020 20:50 #311392 by ubarose
Mothra just constantly waiting by the phone for her agent to call.

Mothra’s Queen of the Monsters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Andi Lennon

More
25 Jun 2020 21:47 #311393 by Sagrilarus

also didn’t bother to turn in a complete, coherent set of rules to the publisher prior to printing.

From Richard Berg? No!

More
25 Jun 2020 22:17 #311394 by Andi Lennon

ubarose wrote: Mothra just constantly waiting by the phone for her agent to call.

Mothra’s Queen of the Monsters.

Of course! I'm an idiot.

More
27 Jun 2020 17:08 - 27 Jun 2020 17:22 #311439 by Josh Look
I just played it and I don’t want to jump to conclusions but I think I’m pretty disappointed.

At the very least, I think there are some caveats to how you play it that, of course, make enjoying it something of a trial by fire. I’m not sure if it’s really a 2 player game, which IS essential criteria for a Kaiju game for me. I like the concept of the King of the Monsters token, but in practice it’s kind of a rich get richer thing. In a 2 player game it’s damn near impossible for it to change hands by the end of the round. If you do play 2 player, Mothra makes the game extremely boring and SLOW. In fact, I think there might be enough unbalanced bullshit with Mothra that I’m not sure I’d want her in anything other than a 4 player game. And while I also love how damage works, it does lead to having fewer options as the game winds down, and even with a 45 minute playtime, I’m never a fan of that.

Everything Michael praises is spot on though. It is a remarkably intelligent game and is not a big dumb monster brawl, which as some of you know is the same case in my Kaiju game, but the depth makes the missteps all the more frustrating.

I’ll definitely play again, there’s a lot I do like, but my first play was kind of a frustrating mess.
Last edit: 27 Jun 2020 17:22 by Josh Look.

More
05 Oct 2020 11:10 #314834 by jpat
My wife and I just picked this up and tried it last night. I kind of agree, so far, with both "sides" here in terms of strengths and shortcomings. It's a generous package at $35, and yet the dark tones of the tiles, vehicles, and small buildings are genuine playability issues, and I found myself yearning even for Monopoly-style houses to throw. The rules are generally OK but lack a certain level of polish in terms of anticipating likely player questions, particularly around fighting, throwing, and damage. (For one thing, it seems odd in a mass-market game that they wouldn't stress the point that the monsters don't have hit points. This didn't confuse me, though some aspects around throwing did, but it was a contrary-to-expectations moment.) We had a decent time, but it's probably better at four, as has been said (also true for Monsters Menace America, though we have some house rules that make things a little better at two).

More
05 Oct 2020 12:27 - 05 Oct 2020 12:30 #314835 by Josh Look
I've been able to play it multiplayer since my first post and I'm coming clean: I HATE THIS GAME.

It has some interesting ideas as far as no HP and instead collecting cards from opponents for VPs and yet I can't think of a single choice made that was the right one. Every turn feels like I'm just doing something because I can, not because I want to, or I'm doing something because I have to. I just do not care about anything going on for the entire duration of the game. It needed that investment that comes from the idea that I can defeat you when I attack you, not that it's going to net me points. Plus it has playability issues, any game with Mothra is boring and too long, the throwing rules blow, and the math in the VP to damage outputs is completely fucked.

I love Godzilla but there's no two way about it, this is a terrible game. It's more than a stumble for Prospero Hall, it's garbage.
Last edit: 05 Oct 2020 12:30 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, mezike, engineer Al, sornars, Vysetron

More
08 Oct 2020 08:50 #314906 by Vysetron
100% what Josh said. Ditched this after 1.5 plays and no that's not a typo. It lifts a bunch of its design decisions from better games without understand how any of them actually work, and the result is an overwrought mess that is absolutely no fun in motion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Josh Look, engineer Al, sornars

More
10 Oct 2020 07:16 #314966 by WadeMonnig
*sings* Oh, no. Josh says it's got to go. Go~go~Godzilla.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Josh Look, engineer Al, DarthJoJo

More
11 Feb 2021 15:26 #319136 by Jackwraith
Mild threadomancy:

MB, was wondering if your opinion had changed in the intervening months, especially given Josh's visceral rejection of the game (and Vysetron's, whose opinion I also respect.) It showed up in the ad column on BGG for me today and I noticed that it's been listed essentially at cost (i.e. half of MSRP) by Amazon for the past six months, which usually means a clunker that they're trying to clear out. Does it still seem worth it or did you run into the same cited problems? Is replayability still there? As you say, it seems like a nice visual design, at minimum, for less than $20. Of course, no one knows what Prospero Hall is doing these days (I saw someone on BGG say they're doing "spec work for Funko"), so no telling if this will get any expansions for more beasties to play or if it's just a one-off like Jaws.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Vysetron

More
12 Feb 2021 19:01 #319188 by Michael Barnes
I dunno, I still liked it when it came back to the table a couple of months ago...it is a pretty shaky design and Mothra is definitely unbalanced but we still had fun with it. There are some aspects of it that are a little tentative but are great ideas, like how the military/aliens come into play.

I mean, it’s a $20 (probably $10 now) mass market beat em up game...I think it’s worth the price. But like a lot of these titles, they have a strong first impact and not what I would call a long shelf life. All of these games from that run of PH/Funko stuff that I reviewed well and still really like, but I can totally see where some folks see them as limited in shelf life. Villainous would be the one big exception to that, it really has legs. And a new expansion with the freakin’ Horned King in it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
12 Feb 2021 22:09 #319194 by Jackwraith
Thanks. Good to hear that it was still worthwhile when you got back to it. I agree that Villainous is the one that has real lasting power. I just wish I could convince more of my locals that that was true. I was geeked to hear about the new xpac, too, but I suspect it will struggle to see the table like the rest of them. Villainous seems to struggle from the Root problem. It needs regular players who are familiar with all or most of the decks to really hit it. That's part of the appeal of Godzilla, in that the system is right there in front of you the whole time.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds