October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Eyes on the Eyrie (Root)

More
02 Jul 2020 15:48 #311645 by Jexik
If this sounds delightfully weird to you, you might just...

Rightful rulers.  Wandering monsters.  Force of nature.  Politically unstable.  Careful computer programming?

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: OhBollox

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2020 12:10 #311649 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Eyes on the Eyrie (Root)
It's hard to get your head around a faction in Root that is *not* very action limited typically. That's the usual tension in this game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
03 Jul 2020 16:28 #311651 by OhBollox
Replied by OhBollox on topic Eyes on the Eyrie (Root)
They're too much of a tightrope run for me to enjoy playing them, but it's always fun watching someone sweat bullets as they program the decree. Avoiding turmoil completely often ties you in knots, but a nice early turmoil when there's little damage done, and a switch of focus in your new decree can be a really good move.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jexik

More
03 Jul 2020 16:30 #311652 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Eyes on the Eyrie (Root)
Yeah, I recognize they are quite powerful and takes a high skill level to play but I just don't enjoy playing them. It's a stressful puzzle rather than a fun one for me. I'm also an inherently conservative game player (why I like the moles) and the Eyrie absolutely rewards pure aggression and stretching your lines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik, OhBollox

More
03 Jul 2020 17:08 #311653 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Eyes on the Eyrie (Root)
They've kinda become my default faction.

"We need someone (or two people) to play a board presence faction."
"If no one wants birds I'll take 'em."

I really enjoy the puzzle, despite my dismal first showing. I don't know if anyone else remembers my first post from a Root game, but I lost something like 30-1 in a 2p game because I went into turmoil nearly every other turn. Constructing a robust decree is something I like, and I think you can definitely win if you go into turmoil just once in a game, so sometimes you shouldn't fear it too much if you're actively improving your board presence along the way. Every now and then I'll try to play a double-build decree game, and that really forces you to get out there. You're almost guaranteeing that you'll go into turmoil even if no one messes with you by turn 4, but establishing your infrastructure like that is huge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OhBollox

More
04 Jul 2020 15:13 #311683 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Eyes on the Eyrie (Root)
I think the Eyrie suits long-term planners in games, but it certainly helps to be experienced with them. This is an old saw for Root by now, since many of us have expressed the feeling that the game works best when all of the players have experience both with their own faction and others, which is a significant time/attention demand. While I don't enjoy the Eyrie as much as I do other factions, I think there's enough room in their design to not have to feel locked in. In my experience, it just takes some anticipation of opponents' moves to not corner yourself. But not everyone enjoys playing that way.

All of that said, Jexik is really, really good at it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jexik

More
04 Jul 2020 18:39 #311687 by Jexik
I said back in April when I did the otter one that I'd do more articles, and I kinda hit writers' block/ got distracted by other things for awhile.

I'd like to get back in the swing of writing again, and I'm looking to do the Vagabond next. I think it'd be kind of silly to get exhaustive and talk about each different Vagabond character card, but I do have a general angle for how I want to approach it.

Corvids and Moles will likely be awhile as I've not acquired a physical copy (was looking to get it from the FLGS in March, haha), and have yet to even play as either one in Tabletop Simulator yet, although I have played against them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
04 Jul 2020 23:46 #311688 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Eyes on the Eyrie (Root)
It's been a long time since I played any Root but I remember enjoying the Birds, even as a beginner. More than anything I liked that kind of thematic distillation of an establishment ruled by tradition,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
06 Jul 2020 13:43 #311715 by Jexik
I like that about the Eyrie too, and how it's just one way that one faction interacts with that same communal deck. It's cool that other factions like the Woodland Alliance and Lizard Cult care about their cards a lot too, but for different reasons.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds