October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Kemet - Review

More
28 Jul 2020 12:30 #312535 by thegiantbrain
Kemet - Review was created by thegiantbrain
In Medias...

At the start of the year the team made their predictions as to what we would see in the board game world over the course of 2020. Whilst much of what has occurred could not have been predicted by even the most pessimistic amongst us, one prediction that has come true is the continuation of reprints. Spartacus is coming back to us, Dune at the end of last year is getting more content, and now Kemet has had a very successful Kickstarter for a new edition. Kemet is a firm favourite of mine, and Iain Chantler's, that I have never cast my critical gaze upon. I thought it was time to rectify that.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2020 13:13 #312538 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Kemet - Review
I have always wanted to play this one. Yet I never wound up with it in my collection. I passed on the KS because now I have Lords of Hellas and I don't have room for both.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
28 Jul 2020 15:16 #312550 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Kemet - Review
I haven't played Kemet in ages. I really liked it though. I have been wanting to try it with the new rules.

More
28 Jul 2020 16:52 #312556 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Kemet - Review
As a relatively old hand at this game (and hoping that Wade will show up to this thread), the new rules smoothed out a lot of the rough patches and largely made it so that people like me didn't run over newer players. You can still pull off some cool combos. They just don't seem as onerous.

I did not get into the KS, though, largely because I already own everything for the edition I have now and, in all honesty, it's not that old and still works perfectly fine, as it were. If there were obvious strategies that made every game seem the same or obvious flaws that could really use some correction, that's one thing. But when I have a complete collection and you're telling me that you want to produce a whole new version just for artistic upgrades and cooler minis? Ehhhh...

I mean, I don't have money for Kickstarters right now, anyway, but I especially don't have it for changes to an already great game that are mostly cosmetic. The announcement of this one really put me off KS (I was not a huge fan to begin with) and some of the current trends in the industry.

Didn't mean to tangent the discussion right at the outset, GB. Apologies. Wade and I discussed the rules tweaks here a while back and, like you, I will now never be able to look at some of the tiles and not think about "white power." Ye gods...
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
29 Jul 2020 03:01 #312566 by thegiantbrain
Replied by thegiantbrain on topic Kemet - Review

hotseatgames wrote: I have always wanted to play this one. Yet I never wound up with it in my collection. I passed on the KS because now I have Lords of Hellas and I don't have room for both.

I have played Lords of Hellas, only once mind, and I have to say they couldn't be more different. Lords of Hellas definitely trends towards the more traditional armies on maps setup where you spend the first part of the game building up whereas Kemet is in your face right from the start. I found Lords of Hellas very fiddly, but it certainly has a lot of fans.

No worries about a little derailment Jackwraith, I totally understand your point. I almost went in on the Kickstarter but I think I'll just wait for the new edition to come out and get it then. I think the new edition will be a great entry point into the game for new players and hopefully see people pick up this excellent game. I am still to try Inis or Cyclades.

More
29 Jul 2020 09:06 #312569 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Kemet - Review
On that note, here's the piece that Wade and I did on all three of the Matagot trinity: therewillbe.games/articles-beyond-review...-s-legendary-trinity

And here's the one we did on the rules update: therewillbe.games/articles-beyond-review...-revised-1-5-ruleset
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
29 Jul 2020 16:47 - 30 Jul 2020 11:12 #312578 by WadeMonnig
Replied by WadeMonnig on topic Kemet - Review
I think I've played twice with the updated rule set. And probably a half dozen times since they were announced with the old rules due to not wanting to turn a chance of playing Kemet into a "teaching" game. BOTH ways are still perfectly fine I have not looked at the Seth updated rules but i need to do that.
Last edit: 30 Jul 2020 11:12 by WadeMonnig.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
29 Jul 2020 17:08 #312579 by WadeMonnig
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Jackwraith

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds