October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Play Matt: Sherman Leader Review

More
24 Nov 2020 09:00 #316503 by Matt Thrower
Except we’re not. The clue is in the name: like...

"Patience is a virtue”, runs the old adage, but it’s in short supply when it comes to solo games. So I dive in head-first, flipping out the mounted board and picking the quickest campaign options. That turns out to be a Cut-Off mission in the desert warfare of 1942 North Africa. Next up, I have points to spend to pick a force. This being Sherman Leader, I spend most of my allowance on three Shermans. Then, presuming combined arms are going to be useful, I grab an anti-tank gun, a scout car and three platoons of infantry and we’re away.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo, Ah_Pook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2020 12:09 #316504 by Gary Sax
This is a dumb question, but how different are the Leader series games from one another?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
24 Nov 2020 14:26 #316511 by Ah_Pook

Gary Sax wrote: This is a dumb question, but how different are the Leader series games from one another?

Phantom Leader, Hornet Leader, and IAF Leader are very similar and feature lots of pre-planning your loadouts and etc, and then fairly abstract tactical mission resolution. Tiger Leader 2e and Sherman Leader are the same game with American or German units, and are both pretty similar to Thunderbolt Apache Leader. All three feature significantly more in depth tactical mission resolution, where you are moving your units around a hex map. TAL has more in depth pre-planning than TL/SL (on the same level as Hornet etc) where you are choosing specific ordinance for your units. B-17 Flying Fortress Leader is pretty different, as it almost entirely abstracts out the tactical aspect, and focuses on an operational level take on the air war over Europe. I haven't played the other ones to comment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Sacco, WadeMonnig

More
25 Nov 2020 11:46 #316556 by Sagrilarus

Ah_Pook wrote:

Gary Sax wrote: This is a dumb question, but how different are the Leader series games from one another?

Phantom Leader, Hornet Leader, and IAF Leader are very similar and feature lots of pre-planning your loadouts and etc, and then fairly abstract tactical mission resolution. Tiger Leader 2e and Sherman Leader are the same game with American or German units, and are both pretty similar to Thunderbolt Apache Leader. All three feature significantly more in depth tactical mission resolution, where you are moving your units around a hex map. TAL has more in depth pre-planning than TL/SL (on the same level as Hornet etc) where you are choosing specific ordinance for your units. B-17 Flying Fortress Leader is pretty different, as it almost entirely abstracts out the tactical aspect, and focuses on an operational level take on the air war over Europe. I haven't played the other ones to comment.

I'll just mention that this is a kick-ass response. Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig, Ah_Pook

More
26 Nov 2020 17:15 #316625 by Ah_Pook
I like the combination of really in depth planning (which could definitely be seen as a bunch of tedious bullshit, if you don't like that kind of thing), and then seeing your best laid plans get absolutely shredded the very first second you engage with the enemy. This system really lends itself well to emergent narrative that way, and I find myself really getting attached to my named leaders as they level up and stuff. Makes the clutch die rolls that much more intense, etc.

More
10 Dec 2020 10:35 #316984 by jason10mm
I liked TAL quite a bit when I was playing it years ago. It's unfortunate that each "era" or side necessitates buying an entire game instead of an upgrade pack.

I still REALLY want an X-wing or Veritech Leader game. I think a little sci-fi gloss over the campaign abstractions would work out really well.

More
10 Dec 2020 10:49 - 10 Dec 2020 10:49 #316985 by charlest
I enjoyed TAL quite a bit too. Thought the tactical map was much more interesting than the flyover system in Phantom Leader (although I preferred the Nam conflict).

While a completely different game, I still think Warfighter is the best DVG game where you spend a large chunk of the game in the prep phase. Although I suppose that one has less than the Leader series.

I don't currently own any DVG titles, but I do one day hope that Huey Leader gets developed as I'm very eager for that one.
Last edit: 10 Dec 2020 10:49 by charlest.

More
10 Dec 2020 11:31 #316990 by Ah_Pook
I want to play warfighter but buying into an lcg isn't really what I'm here for, beyond the marvel one I'm already bought into.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, charlest

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds