October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

GF9’s Aliens: Another Glorious Day in the Corps Loses its Aim - Review

More
10 Dec 2020 11:48 #317003 by Michael Barnes
I would argue that Aliens – specifically the 1986 James...

Inglorious bastardization.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, allismom3, sornars, WadeMonnig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2020 15:47 #317021 by Msample
The minis are a major fail IMO. Not all press to fit, they require some effort to assemble. Some require basically balancing a head the size of a pea on top i a figure then gluing in place. Other connection points are very thin. WTF.

More
10 Dec 2020 15:47 #317022 by mads b.
I think I've only seen the movie once or maybe twice, but I've played the flash-version of the solo board game a lot. And as I rewatched the movie the other day I noticed how well the game not only captures the story of the movie, but also the feel.

You can find it right here: www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/408816

More
10 Dec 2020 16:01 #317023 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, I think the minis are going to be a major problem for a lot of folks. They aren’t as difficult as some GW stuff, but for board gamers who are going to have to buy clippers, a file, and glue...yikes. I haven’t seen the Queen or Powerloader figures but I am guessing they are multipart and likely pretty fussy.The minis also aren’t great. The quality/detail level is well below many BG minis these days. The only really good thing about them is they have the characters’ names molded on the base, which I love.

More
10 Dec 2020 16:40 - 10 Dec 2020 16:56 #317026 by Msample
The Queen and Power Loader models are about a dozen parts apiece. For the latter, I am gluing a section, letting it dry, then adding more pieces. In a day and age where KS gives you better models fully put together, this is a fail IMO. Past GF9 minis have been fine, this is a step back. I’m sure it’s cost related, but it’s gonna bite them in the ass.
Last edit: 10 Dec 2020 16:56 by Msample.

More
10 Dec 2020 17:00 #317030 by jpat
My wife asked for the preorder bundle--and it just arrived today--to paint, so I'm hoping this plays a bit better with us than with Michael. We knew the minis had to be removed from the sprues and assembled, and she has done some assembly for Space Hulk (though she never finished the painting process, and I've never actually played the game ...), but this does sound somewhat daunting. She did a good job with the low-detail Mansions of Madness base game minis, so I'm really only concerned about her frustration level on what's supposed to be a fun activity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
10 Dec 2020 17:16 #317032 by southernman
Excellent review Michael, with the maybe unintentional point that GF9 is now in the also-rans since its main designers left as a strong secondary in it. I think your points of they aren't designing at today's level and it is only a $60 retail game were both poignant but the former is the most important.
And I stopped making models when I was 11 or 12, even when I had a brief foray into Warhammer Underworlds I assembled two packs slowly (and got very bored) then palmed the others off to one of my gaming mates who does Warhammer normally, so that would stop me cold anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
10 Dec 2020 17:59 #317036 by Msample

jpat wrote: My wife asked for the preorder bundle--and it just arrived today--to paint, so I'm hoping this plays a bit better with us than with Michael. We knew the minis had to be removed from the sprues and assembled, and she has done some assembly for Space Hulk (though she never finished the painting process, and I've never actually played the game ...), but this does sound somewhat daunting. She did a good job with the low-detail Mansions of Madness base game minis, so I'm really only concerned about her frustration level on what's supposed to be a fun activity.

These minis are more fiddly than SPACE HULK. I’m almost done with the Marines. Fuck the aliens, I’ll just use tokens I’m so frustrated. This is gonna piss off a lot of people.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, jpat

More
10 Dec 2020 18:05 #317037 by southernman

Msample wrote: These minis are more fiddly than SPACE HULK. I’m almost done with the Marines. Fuck the aliens, I’ll just use tokens I’m so frustrated. This is gonna piss off a lot of people.

Wow :ohmy:

More
10 Dec 2020 18:31 #317038 by Shellhead

Msample wrote: These minis are more fiddly than SPACE HULK. I’m almost done with the Marines. Fuck the aliens, I’ll just use tokens I’m so frustrated. This is gonna piss off a lot of people.

If you use tokens, you can use screen shots of the character's faces on the tokens. Here, this will get you started:

www.writeups.org/wp-content/uploads/Vasq...enette-Goldstein.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
10 Dec 2020 19:17 #317043 by jason10mm
I have Robotech:Tactics, what are you guys complaining about? :p
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, n815e

More
11 Dec 2020 10:37 #317066 by drewcula
I came to read Michael's review, but stayed for the comments.
Well done everyone! I'll just pull down my shelf toad SPACE HULK 3rd Edition and rekindle my fondness for it.

MB & Co. - this is a bit of a deep dive, but how would the ol' MB/GW joint "Space Crusade" hold up in 2020?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, n815e

More
11 Dec 2020 13:21 #317084 by southernman

drewcula wrote: ...
MB & Co. - this is a bit of a deep dive, but how would the ol' MB/GW joint "Space Crusade" hold up in 2020?

I played it last year and it was reasonable fun still but for these times probably lacking missions. I think if GW are in on it the price of the game, for what you get, because of their minis may limit its uptake. I think they would need to be allowed to put it out with more normal minis to keep the price down a bit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
11 Dec 2020 18:40 #317094 by Michael Barnes
The last time I played Space Crusade (maybe 2 years ago?) I could really feel it’s age. It was still fun though, and occasionally I do regret selling it because it is so simple and direct while also having huge toy appeal.

The Space Marine Adventure games are the real descendants of Space Crusade- but modernized and streamlined a bit with son nods to current trends. They are really fun, not of them, and capture some of the same conceptual ground as an Aliens game should.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Rliyen, Gary Sax, SebastianBludd, Msample, drewcula

More
15 Dec 2020 11:12 #317198 by Michael Barnes
LMAAAAAAO I just saw that this review is being discussed on BGG. Don’t bother going over there, here are the takeways:

- some guy doesn’t know who this “joker” is
- I played the game wrong. (Note- I did not)
- Some other people liked it so what does this guy know
- I’m talking out of “both sides of my ass” when I state that the game succeeds as fan service but fails to deliver the gameplay I want from an Aliens game
- I rated the game a 2 on a 10 point scale (although we have a 5 point scale)- therefore, lower than Tic Tac Toe
- OMG you have to glue the minis
- numerous posts discussing the nuances of the BGG rating system

OMG that fucking site...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, themothman421, hotseatgames, drewcula, fightcitymayor

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds