October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine Review

More
11 Dec 2020 00:00 #317078 by oliverkinne
After this rather average introduction, it's time to look at...

Space, the final frontier. We're on a 50 mission journey to find a new planet in our solar system. We have to work together to seek out new theories, new experiments and new proof. It's no trick and we have to boldly go, where no scientist has gone before. These are the adventures of The Crew by Kosmos.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2020 13:00 #317079 by WadeMonnig
This is an amazing game. Co-op that avoids almost every pitfall of co-op games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Ah_Pook

More
11 Dec 2020 13:16 #317083 by Sagrilarus
I've been playing this on BoardGameArena with my buds and we've had a great time with it. We're up to around mission 37 and still enjoying it.

There were some missions in the middle that seemed harder than some of the missions we're seeing now. But each adds a little more interest to what you're trying to do. All in all this has been a great use of my time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, WadeMonnig

More
11 Dec 2020 13:30 #317086 by kmj
Just a note that Fox in the Forest Duet (a follow-up to the popular Fox in the Forest) is also a fully cooperative trick-taking game; and it is designed solely for two players. It's a neat game!

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/288169/fox-forest-duet

Both are worth checking out, though The Crew is definitely amazing at 4 players. We've had a regular Monday night "The Crew" session for the past couple of months, and it really is a unique game. One thing that sets it apart from The Fox in the Forest Duet (aside from the wider player count) is that Duet uses a small board and some pieces to help track your success, while The Crew is (almost) just a deck of cards.

Funny that they both came out (or, at least, became available in my neck of the woods) at roughly the same time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, WadeMonnig

More
14 Dec 2020 08:48 #317141 by the_jake_1973
I've never been a fan of rebranded/themed trick taking games since I really enjoy Hearts, Spades, and Euchre. There has been no compelling reason that drove me to the plethora of other trick taking games as those three are solid.

The Crew has been a great surprise to me. I love the mission goals for each hand and the team format. The limited communication is fantastic since you have to figure out how much information you can indicate with one card.

Will I explore more in the trick taking game realm? Likely not, the big three aren't flashy with the theme and colorful cards, but they cover what I look for in the genre. I am happy to add The Crew to that number.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, WadeMonnig, Ah_Pook

More
15 Dec 2020 08:13 #317195 by Sagrilarus
I’ll tune in again to mention that as far as I’m concerned, this is the best cooperative game I have ever played and by a wide margin. It’s rigid in that you need four, but I have two campaigns of this going and have had hours of fun playing it. Best new game I’ve played in a few years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, the_jake_1973, WadeMonnig, Ah_Pook

More
15 Dec 2020 08:31 #317196 by Ah_Pook
It works anywhere from 2-5 in my experience. 4 is ideal, but I wouldn't turn down a game at any player count. 3 is solid as long as you use the 3p variant from later rulebooks. 5 can be brutally hard but it's still fine as long as you're okay with losing for to player count sometimes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, WadeMonnig

More
23 Dec 2020 11:54 #317469 by Sagrilarus
And to follow up just a little bit more, I'll mention that, on my second pass through, some of the missions in the teens are tougher than missions in the thirties and forties, I think because the goals are more likely to step on each other.

In the forties there's nine goals, but since you go around the table twice picking them you can group them logically and get multiples on a single pass. We had one trick pull three tasks at once.

In the teens you each get one goal, there's an ordering, and it more or less means that if two of them clash they are guaranteed to be assigned to different people.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.315 seconds