October 09, 2023
2507 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2706 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

The Concept of Downtime

More
11 Feb 2021 21:15 #319155 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic The Concept of Downtime
That's a good point. If you're playing with new people at an FLGS, then maybe downtime is more obvious. I've found that when I'm in that situation, I'm often teaching, so I'm oblivious because I'm watching carefully to make sure things are functioning properly. Or if I'm not teaching, I'm still focused because, unlike when I'm with my friends, I'm usually trying even harder to win. B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, boothwah, jason10mm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2021 14:52 #319179 by boothwah
Replied by boothwah on topic The Concept of Downtime
Ugghhhh - I have one of those guys, that I love dearly as a friend, but is the worst when it comes to gaming - He checks out when it's not his turn, either scrolling his phone to to share memes, or regaling us with tales of what games he is playing on pc, then when is turn comes around he's AP guy, but also narrates his turn - I'm going to copy paste my example of one of his turns from the what games are you playing thread from last year :

*uncrosses arms and sighs and sets his cards down*

"Well I had a great play that was going to net me 8 VP, but he took the spot I was gunning for."

<the guy that took his planned play was 2 players ago and he's had 6 minutes to makes changes due to the gamestate>

*uncrosses arms, looks at cards, looks at the board*

"See, I have this bonus for the having 3 leaders in brown spaces, So I was going to use that to get the extra die, and then I was going to just sweep right along the coast here and I would have longest chain easily."

"Well since the only 2 actions available at this point are a move and a fight..........."

*the table hopefully concurs*

"well...waitaminnit.......I wanted that spot because of the chain, but maybe I could reach it with ......."

*Rules book is grabbed - Several sections are read aloud in the entirety to confirm that he can not do what he was fishing for*

*arms cross and think tank face again*

"well if I move and attack......This guy could go here....or this guy could go here.....this guy could go here and would get a plus 2, and it would deny Jason the tile...or I could ignore Jason entirely because Ryder left himself vulnerable overrrr herrrree....This guy gets a bonus for his weapons, which would have been awesome if Bjorn hadn't discarded them last turn...he would get to roll add 3 to each of his rolls AND have advantage - that would have changed everything.......See my original plan wouldn't have need any weapons, because my guys go so fast i could just rush objective.....Wait, did I activate my production this round?"

*walks around the board and picks up each figure as he's talking and demonstrates the attacks*

<You did we reply>

*picks up cards and reads each of them individually*

"Yeah I can't play any of these right now."

"I guess I will move and attack ."

*touches like 5 figures while making a Hrmmmmmmmm sound returning to the same two figures at least 3 times*

"I'm sorry Ryan, but I'll attack you here"

*dices rolled/chits pulled/whatever*

"OH -missed it by one."

*Long narration about how many point he would have scored by choosing any of the other attacks available to him with the roll.*
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Jackwraith

More
12 Feb 2021 15:54 #319183 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic The Concept of Downtime
Yeahhhh... That's not someone that would be invited back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax

More
12 Feb 2021 17:07 #319184 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic The Concept of Downtime

Jackwraith wrote: Yeahhhh... That's not someone that would be invited back.

That guy must be bringing belgian monastery beer, 18yr old scotch, and el primo snack food!
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
12 Feb 2021 20:28 #319193 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic The Concept of Downtime
Unless your turn entails some obscure rule you need to remind people of, , fuck narrating your own turn.

Downtime and or annoying players are one huge reason why many refuse to game with random strangers at stores or especially conventions. Sucks if you're an outsider but its the simple truth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, WadeMonnig

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds