October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Secrets of the Lost Tomb - Peak Thrash Madness

More
24 Feb 2021 00:00 #319590 by Andi Lennon
If one was looking to submit an example of the...

As the tabletop design ethos continues to evolve in a cross-continental dance of pollination, systems may morph and intermingle, yet the once binary delineation of Euro vs Amerithrash still often rings true.

Systems vs Theme, Elegance vs Excess, Wood vs Plastic, Mediterranean Trading Routes vs Zombie Hitler.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, jason10mm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2021 10:29 #319591 by hotseatgames
This game sounds like a blast, and it also sounds like I want someone else to buy it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Andi Lennon

More
24 Feb 2021 10:32 - 24 Feb 2021 10:32 #319592 by charlest
Humorous There Will Be Games story about this one - Michael reviewed the first edition here years ago back when it came out. Overall it was negative due to all of the editorial problems and issues. The company actually hired him to edit portions of the second edition.

I was kind of interested Secrets of the Lost Station, which was their follow up sci-fi version. It seems to be riddled with issues though.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2021 10:32 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax, Andi Lennon

More
24 Feb 2021 11:29 #319596 by Shellhead
Everything Epic has great ideas and mediocre development. If you don't mind a substandard rulebook, slightly clunky mechanics, and a playtime that runs a little long, their games deliver great atmosphere and the illusion of narrative. They could be the next FFG if they had one great editor and did three times as much playtesting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andi Lennon

More
24 Feb 2021 12:15 #319610 by Michael Barnes
LOL yes I was briefly a freelance editor for EE. Chris is a good guy, he genuinely took my criticisms to heart and wanted to make a better product.
I don’t know if he used my edits or credited me, but I put quite a bit of work into it.

It’s a game full of heart and spirit that doesn’t quite do what it’s trying to do. Which is...everything. Epic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Andi Lennon

More
24 Feb 2021 16:53 #319640 by Andi Lennon

hotseatgames wrote: This game sounds like a blast, and it also sounds like I want someone else to buy it.

I actually scored it for cheap in an auction along with a couple of expansions (one of which contained the immortal KEVIN DUSI). The usual eye-watering aftermarket rates for them reflects the cult status this thing has earned. I'll be interested to see what they offer with the third edition cos I think I want everything.

More
24 Feb 2021 16:55 #319641 by Andi Lennon

charlest wrote: Humorous There Will Be Games story about this one - Michael reviewed the first edition here years ago back when it came out. Overall it was negative due to all of the editorial problems and issues. The company actually hired him to edit portions of the second edition.

I was kind of interested Secrets of the Lost Station, which was their follow up sci-fi version. It seems to be riddled with issues though.

Sounds a lot like how I got hired for the Machina Arcana stuff. I love that smaller developers are this interactive with the community.

More
24 Feb 2021 17:01 #319642 by Andi Lennon

Shellhead wrote: Everything Epic has great ideas and mediocre development. If you don't mind a substandard rulebook, slightly clunky mechanics, and a playtime that runs a little long, their games deliver great atmosphere and the illusion of narrative. They could be the next FFG if they had one great editor and did three times as much playtesting.

I've only played this and Big Trouble in Little China (which I also loved-One of the best takes on a licensed property I've ever seen on tabletop), but I'm glad they aren't beholden to the kind of 'style guide' that renders FFG stuff so uniform and generic. Whilst BTiLC was definitely more polished, it still had a Kurt Russell sized charm to it. The scrappy underdog vibe of this one absolutely adds to the experience though. Whether by accident or design it transcends crappiness to become something enchanting.

More
24 Feb 2021 17:11 #319643 by Andi Lennon

Michael Barnes wrote: LOL yes I was briefly a freelance editor for EE. Chris is a good guy, he genuinely took my criticisms to heart and wanted to make a better product.
I don’t know if he used my edits or credited me, but I put quite a bit of work into it.

It’s a game full of heart and spirit that doesn’t quite do what it’s trying to do. Which is...everything. Epic.

I just checked out your review and I have to say that the 'kitchen sink' dissonance that irked you was probably the thing I liked best about this game. It's wild!

For context, the game I'm most enamoured with at the moment is probably Pax Pamir 2e. It's as close as it gets to what I would deem a masterpiece in terms of design and theme integration. I go to bed at night unpacking it in my head.

SotLT's contrast to that kind of professionalism and austerity has made this thing an almost perfect counterbalance for my group of late though. And the rickety beams and frayed seams are 1000% a big part of that. If ever we want this kind of experience we'll be reaching right over the top of Eldritch Horror et al to get to this one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
24 Feb 2021 17:14 #319644 by Andi Lennon
That nebulous, unquantifiable 'heart and spirit' is a huge factor. It's difficult to articulate why it's so damn endearing.

More
24 Feb 2021 19:55 #319651 by charlest
I'm with you on Big Trouble. I think it perfectly embodies the spirit of the film and it being published by Everything Epic was a perfect marriage.

More
24 Feb 2021 20:17 #319652 by Andi Lennon

charlest wrote: I'm with you on Big Trouble. I think it perfectly embodies the spirit of the film and it being published by Everything Epic was a perfect marriage.

Absolutely. It's actually my girlfriend's favourite out of the 100+ titles I have. The dice placement is just a very well executed novelty on top of a masterfully realised incorporation of the source material. We're yet to dig into the Legacy of Lo-Pan expansion but I look forward to even more OTT shenanigans within.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
26 Feb 2021 10:17 #319789 by southernman
Excellent article and accurate in everything you said. I had it for a couple of years, before selling to get new blood on my shelves, and every game was great - a blast.
The scenarios book was very well written with the stories well wrapped with different myths and historical events. I had the second edition and I didn't find the rules an issue, baggies sorted out all the tokens, and loved all those a-la Betrayal at House on the Hill tiles.
Only two things I didn't like - they never (well unless it was in the many expansions) gave you much to do with the soul shards you earned slaughtering creatures and rerolling dice required you to reroll all of them, that made the game just a bit too difficult so we allowed rerolling just the ones you wanted (especially as you had to use hard to earn audacity for it).

I'm interested in getting a new edition if I have the chance of grabbing expansions, where did you hear about it and where should I keep an eye out ?

More
26 Feb 2021 10:21 #319790 by southernman
We never liked Big Trouble as much, although the dice mechanic was brilliant - part 1 was always too rushed to do much interesting (we tried variants with the Doom track to help) and part 2 was either too easy or too hard depending on what you found in part 1. And the rules were a bit muddle compared to Secrets so it wasn't a hard a decision to move that one on - but would easily play it again, and maybe even buy it again for the right price.

More
26 Feb 2021 17:56 #319813 by Andi Lennon

southernman wrote: Excellent article and accurate in everything you said. I had it for a couple of years, before selling to get new blood on my shelves, and every game was great - a blast.
The scenarios book was very well written with the stories well wrapped with different myths and historical events. I had the second edition and I didn't find the rules an issue, baggies sorted out all the tokens, and loved all those a-la Betrayal at House on the Hill tiles.
Only two things I didn't like - they never (well unless it was in the many expansions) gave you much to do with the soul shards you earned slaughtering creatures and rerolling dice required you to reroll all of them, that made the game just a bit too difficult so we allowed rerolling just the ones you wanted (especially as you had to use hard to earn audacity for it).

I'm interested in getting a new edition if I have the chance of grabbing expansions, where did you hear about it and where should I keep an eye out ?

Cheers man, yeah I rarely use the soul shards (or 'fanny points' as we christened them due to the iconography) but one of my friends relished racing back to the trader to cash his in for relics.

Official third edition wishlist thread by the creator is here. It sounds like its all but announced. The expansions are great as a game like this lives and dies in the variety. Just make sure you get the one with KEVIN DUSI!
Women want him, men want to be him.

boardgamegeek.com/thread/2600815/new-sec...rd-edition-wish-list
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.435 seconds