October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

The Emperor's New Games

More
02 Mar 2021 00:00 #319942 by oliverkinne
Let me start by saying that, no, I don't expect...

We all have a soft spot for the latest and greatest board game that's coming out next. After all, it'll be better and more wonderful than the game that came before it, or so we're told. We are entranced by the playthroughs, we gawp at the beautiful components and we imagine how much fun we'll have playing this amazing new game. Yet, sometimes these new games aren't actually that new and we're too blind to see it. So in this article, I want to explore what this means for us, as the board game buying public. (This topic was inspired by the always wonderful Bez.)

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2021 19:12 #319943 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic The Emperor's New Games
Oliver is right. Sometimes you’re just in the mood for a newexperience, so you get a new game. I’m feeling that way now, after not playing anything new in several months. I’m glad Barnes copy of Bunny Kingdom arrived this week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, hotseatgames

More
03 Mar 2021 10:13 - 03 Mar 2021 10:14 #319967 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic The Emperor's New Games

ubarose wrote: Oliver is right. Sometimes you’re just in the mood for a newexperience, so you get a new game. I’m feeling that way now, after not playing anything new in several months. I’m glad Barnes copy of Bunny Kingdom arrived this week.

But still a few months to go before Etherfields arrives for you ... now THAT will be a new experience (I even late pledged for it in December :whistle: )

I do the BGG Math trades to get different tastes in ... and buy too much new shit :pinch: .
Last edit: 03 Mar 2021 10:14 by southernman.

More
03 Mar 2021 10:53 #319970 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic The Emperor's New Games
I also have Bullet arriving sometime later this month. Looking forward to that. Maybe by the end of April I will be able to see Francie and play her games. Will probably be a while before I can see Josh, my regular supplier of new game experiences.

More
07 May 2021 03:16 #322931 by oliverkinne
Replied by oliverkinne on topic The Emperor's New Games
Well, sometimes new is good, sometimes old. It's OK to be in different moods. Thank you all for your comments.

More
07 May 2021 04:31 #322932 by mc
Replied by mc on topic The Emperor's New Games
I know those little differences between games feel important to the connoisseur. I recognize them myself. Ah yes, a little deck deconstruction, some route monopolizing and a thin layer of area majority which is really a subtle bidding system....

But I've sort of realised that stuff is a bit new clothes like. As in, those differences - or the differences created by different mixes of mechanisms or theme - are often overstated. What's at the core? That's more important to me, but even then many cores are pretty similar to each other. At the core of a modern euro is layered complexities of min max optimisation; really, I only need one of those to get that feel when i want it. And the same could be said for lots of other "cores". I only really need one Pax to do its core of interactive engine thing.

But ss Oliver says, when you LOVE that core you want more of it. I wonder how many of us kid ourselves a bit though - " no no no this is different. It has different action selection spaces". If we loved that core enough, genuinely, if it was that good- wouldn't one or two be enough?

Of course, just like we might be chasing that core feeling, for many that exploratory feel is the core feeling they are after, which means new games with tiny differences.

All of this is fine or whatever, people want different things. It has all been observed before too. But for me I have got some core things I really like and far too many games doing those things. So when I see a new game doing that core thing, it's mostly, I'm good, dont need it.

The ONE fly in the ointment though? The idea that THIS one will be the one that hits at the core things I like AND will really capture the imagination of the family so I get to play it all the time. That's the chink in the armour.

More
07 May 2021 11:40 #322947 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic The Emperor's New Games
I have enough games to never need another one. I can go to my shelves and find something that can provide whatever limited or expansive experience I want, I am very fortunate. That said, something new is still great. I also turned "helping out my FLGS" into a buying spree of a game a month for about a year now.

Latest
CAPTAIN SONAR, which I got for an 8-player experience this summer when we head to Cape Cod for post-vax vacation.

THE INITIATION: CoreyK's new game that has some amazing Legacy co-op cool thing happen in the middle somewhere. (no spoilers please)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
07 May 2021 12:14 #322952 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic The Emperor's New Games
I vet games carefully before deciding to add another one to my collection. I analyze the visual design, the setting, the theme, the player count, the apparent mechanics, and of course look at any available reviews (unless they are video or podcast reviews). But when it all comes down to it, I am looking for one of three things:

1. More of the Same. Either an expansion of a game that I already have and enjoy, or a similar-looking game by designer or publisher that I already like. Recent examples: Blackstone Fortress: Escalation, Cursed City, a bunch of expansion stuff for Marvel Champions.

2. Something Better. Every once in a while, I will see a game that looks like it does something similar to a game that I already have, only better. Recent example: Masters of the Night, which takes a lot of standard co-op game stuff and does it very well with efficiency.

3. Something Different. My favorite type of game to acquire is a game that offers a singular experience, unlike anything else in my collection. Recent examples: Magic Realm, Sleeping Gods.

In my experience, the Something Different acquisitions are the ones most likely to become shelf toads. Sometimes a game is just too different from what interests my friends, or else requires more of a buy-in, like a long play time or considerable complexity. I have learned to consider carefully who will play a Something Different game with me, so it's great if there is a viable solitaire mode. Because of the pandemic, every game that I bought in the last 15 months is also a good solitaire game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mc

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds