October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Big Board Editions for Terraforming Mars

More
13 Mar 2021 00:00 #320598 by TomerHelzer
The artwork on these boards is highly professional and matches...

Take your Terraforming Mars games to the next level with these three big board versions of  Tharsis, Hellas and Esylium, and a new custom designed map: "Utopia Planita" 

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, mezike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2021 14:22 #320599 by mezike
These look great, thank you for sharing the link. I think I want to try these printed on a fabric so that I can fold them away into the box, does anyone have any experience printing on fabrics? Crime Hotel has a fabric playing mat that looks great and works well, some kind of Satin-effect fabric. Pax Pamir is some kind of woven material I believe and probably wouldn’t be right for this kind of project. Neoprene wouldn’t be good either as I want to fit them in the box and they will be far too big.

More
15 Mar 2021 17:28 #320613 by jason10mm
I wonder how popular running some of these games would be with a really big wall mounted board for spectators, basically like those chess tournaments in "Queens Gambit". TM is probably far too long but if you could do speed catan or something like that i bet it would be a hit at cons.

More
16 Mar 2021 13:05 #320699 by mezike
I may just be talking to myself here, but this might be of interest to someone. I found that Deepcutstudio.com (based in Lithuania) are already ahead of the game on this, with a set of all four mats at a little over €100 shipped :ohmy: but with no clarity on whether or not VAT and duties are covered. So that's a pass then.

I then found Contrado.com who have a worldwide presence and will do a whole variety of fabric prints to custom sizes, they were coming up about a quarter of the price depending on the material. Was partway through setting up a print, stopped and then came back today to find the price had doubled since yesterday. I then saw some comments on BGG that they screwed up on someone's order on a different project by shrinking the image slightly. So that's another pass then.

I'm back into indecision mode - with all the trackers on the board it might warrant a stiffer neoprene base after all and Deepcut might be the way to go after all but it's a lot to pay. I'm not in a hurry so might wait for the price to drop again on Contrado and then do just one of the boards as a test run before committing to the others.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
16 Mar 2021 15:36 #320707 by RobertB

jason10mm wrote: I wonder how popular running some of these games would be with a really big wall mounted board for spectators, basically like those chess tournaments in "Queens Gambit". TM is probably far too long but if you could do speed catan or something like that i bet it would be a hit at cons.

There used to be a giant Catan at Origins, but I don't remember if I saw it back in 2019.

I do remember seeing a giant Zendo set.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
17 Mar 2021 11:38 #320742 by Bixby
Oh boy, do these Rabbit Holes ever go deep. I have started to look at getting a set of the GIGA-Terraforming Mars board and all supporting materials printed. This is a huge project and I may have bitten off more than I can chew. The good news is that six of my friends also want copies, so when I do get it figured out, there may be some economies of scale. If you want to geek out about a huge Terraforming Mars expansion project check it out on BGG:
www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2293920/ter...on-ares-pathfinder-b

You have been warned though... this rabbit hole is very deep. :)
Matt "Bixby" Robertson
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, mezike

More
17 Mar 2021 12:15 #320747 by RobertB
I know Vistaprint will print a vinyl banner of approximately the right size (2' x 4') on vinyl for $30. I didn't dig much deeper after that. It looks nice, but the wife and I don't play Venus Next, the latest expansion, or anybody else; we already have a pretty good system.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

More
17 Mar 2021 12:29 #320748 by mezike
I have to say that I have zero interest in fan made content so only looking at the three standard maps that have been collated because the four boards with colonies off to the side are inconvenient and a bit fugly. I feel a sense of inevitability with the Deep Cut mats, they work out about twenty quid each so as good a price as I’ll get anywhere else and at least these guys know exactly what they are doing and have a really good reputation.

More
17 Mar 2021 18:01 #320761 by Erik Twice

Bixby wrote: Oh boy, do these Rabbit Holes ever go deep. I have started to look at getting a set of the GIGA-Terraforming Mars board and all supporting materials printed. This is a huge project and I may have bitten off more than I can chew. The good news is that six of my friends also want copies, so when I do get it figured out, there may be some economies of scale. If you want to geek out about a huge Terraforming Mars expansion project check it out on BGG:

Matt "Bixby" Robertson

A few people at my club have printed this out and have played it out to completition. It took them hours and it seemed silly but fun! I want to try it out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bixby

More
17 Mar 2021 19:49 - 17 Mar 2021 19:50 #320766 by RobertB

Erik Twice wrote:

Bixby wrote: Oh boy, do these Rabbit Holes ever go deep. I have started to look at getting a set of the GIGA-Terraforming Mars board and all supporting materials printed. This is a huge project and I may have bitten off more than I can chew. The good news is that six of my friends also want copies, so when I do get it figured out, there may be some economies of scale. If you want to geek out about a huge Terraforming Mars expansion project check it out on BGG:

Matt "Bixby" Robertson

A few people at my club have printed this out and have played it out to completition. It took them hours and it seemed silly but fun! I want to try it out.

You're an 18xx player - print this: boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9132/18c2c-manifest-destiny :)
Last edit: 17 Mar 2021 19:50 by RobertB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

More
18 Mar 2021 04:19 #320781 by Erik Twice

RobertB wrote: You're an 18xx player - print this: boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9132/18c2c-manifest-destiny :)

Hahaha. Actually, the huge 18xx I would like to play is the complete version of 1825:
boardgamegeek.com/image/4787080/1825-unit-1

Interestingly, despite the massive number of companies 1825 is so fast the guys from the picture say they completed it in 6 hours despite using poker chips and no computer assistance.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds