October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2652 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Maglev Metro Review - A Futurist Train Game

More
13 Aug 2021 08:49 #325538 by Sagrilarus
I was trying to figure out how long I've had this on my closet shelf in the shrink, guessed it at more than nine months. Came here . . . about four. Time has no meaning in Covidville.

I just cracked this open last night because my game group keeps having Root set up when I get there (grumble). I have it open on the table for a walk through this evening. First couple of turns, I'll play two sides and see if I can get a hold of the running of the game.

The rule book starts out bonzers good. It really lays everything out and describes setup and pieces in detail. Then it kind of stops describing, and becomes a reference manual. As it stands (and mind you I haven't played a train game in like, five years maybe?) I don't think I would want to be explaining this cold to new players without having played a game against myself.

At the end of the rule book it more or less says, "Oh! by the way . . . you're trying to score points in order to win, and here are the ways to do that . . . " They really needed a brief primer up front on that, because as it stands it follows all of the reference material, leaving the reference material hanging in mid-air without support. So the rule book is: 1. Here's detail on setup and all the components; 2) here's a service manual for the product with all the minitia well-described in detail; and 3) here's the goal of the game.

For train gamers the rules are likely on solid enough ground, although it's a very different train game. Anyone coming into this without prior experience in the genre will be scratching their head regarding the fundamental question -- "what am I trying to do" until they get to page 13 of a 15 page rule book. When describing this game to new players, the first thing I'm going to do is point to the part of their player board where the scoring happens, and explain in summary what's on page 13. "The goal is to put people on your player board. You do that by taking them to a place with your train."
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2021 17:49 #325562 by ubarose
I played it once solo, and then did flail through with Al, and practiced explaining the game to Zoe, and we still screwed up the first time we played for reals.

There are a couple important rules that get forgotten, like each played can only have two links coming out of a single regular station. Also, if you play with people who play a lot of train games, remind them that they can build on top of other players existing routes. People also screwed up that they couldn’t build stations or pick up passengers of certain colors until they filled that option on their boards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus

More
13 Aug 2021 21:47 #325566 by Sagrilarus
I played a two-player game against myself and I think I pretty much got it right. Turns are super quick until people pick up extra actions.

Not a lot of chatter in the running gear. The way the passengers came out in this one was a little whacky, each side getting the other side’s people. Almost comical until some tracks linked up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
14 Aug 2021 04:12 #325571 by Erik Twice
I would love to try this one out but the price is prohibitive

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds