October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Abstraction – 2 Players with a Deck of Cards.

More
31 Mar 2021 00:00 #321503 by DukeofChutney
Some preliminary thoughts;

I recommend getting a show off deck of...

I sometimes wonder why I pay out for designer board games when I could just be playing with a deck of cards. No really. I appreciate card games cannot tell stories, and some mechanics like area control, or resource engine building you will struggle to get out 4 suits of numbers, but for anything involving set collection or winning quick rounds give me the cards. 

Particularly when it comes to designer card games, I like Lost Cities, Red7, Lords of Scotland etc, but I think the games below are as good, perhaps better.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2021 12:55 #321504 by quozl
Thanks for the recommendations! BTW, which decks are those in the pictures? They look great!

More
31 Mar 2021 13:33 - 31 Mar 2021 13:34 #321507 by RobertB
I recommend cribbage. The rules are nuts, in a good way. Nothing else is quite like it - it's not trick taking, it doesn't exactly have melds, and it isn't rummy.

My brother and I used to play klaberjass when we weren't playing cribbage. It's kinda sorta pinochle flavored.

I'd also recommend springing for a paperback Hoyle's. Maybe buy two, and throw one in your bugout bag if you already have an emergency deck of cards. "The world's coming to an end. Let's learn how to play three-handed pinochle!" :)
Last edit: 31 Mar 2021 13:34 by RobertB.

More
31 Mar 2021 14:06 #321508 by jason10mm
It is kinda interesting, I don't think I've EVER played a 2 player card game, at least not one that wasn't just a board game with cards like Ascension or Lost Cities. I've rarely played any 3-4+ player card games either, other than poker, blackjack, and many many rounds of asshole or el presidente in college. I wonder if there is a cultural divide between folks who play card games (and maybe stuff like bunco) and those who branched off into rpgs and board games, even if both perhaps started with children's games. Ostensibly the same basic leisure activity but I'd wager there is an ocean between most members of each camp.

Hard to ignore that a deck of cards in your back pocket makes card games about 10000% more accessible to most of the world compared to a box of cardboard and meeples and plastic minis as well.

More
31 Mar 2021 15:03 #321510 by Shellhead
Thanks to Boy Scout Camp, I went through a phase where I was very interested in card games that involved low stakes gambling. At scout camp, we played for candy. But in junior high, I once organized a poker game with several classmates where everybody had to put in $10 to get their stacks of poker chips. The parents of our host didn't see the buy-in and thought that we were just playing for fun. I got busy with life while in high school, but did occasionally play some low stakes card games in my college dorm. One of my friends did the same while in med school, so there were a few more card nights while I was in my early 20s. Scout camp was a year before I got into role-playing games, but the rest of this was concurrent with some heavy years of rpgs and early Ameritrash. When I later came back to cards, it was strictly for CCGs.

Several years ago, I bought the full Badger deck. Ten suits of cards ranging from 0 to 20, plus 11 face cards per suit. So there are normal cards like the 10 of diamonds and exotic cards like the monster of moons or the 15 of flowers. Some day, I would like to figure out a way to use that full 320 card deck in a conventional-style card game. I mean, I suppose you could just play poker with the Badger deck, but all the probabilities would be out of whack, and certain hands should gain or lose value relative to play with a normal deck of 52.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
31 Mar 2021 17:51 #321527 by DukeofChutney

quozl wrote: Thanks for the recommendations! BTW, which decks are those in the pictures? They look great!

www.jocu.cards/?v=79cba1185463

www.riffleshuffle.com/collections/playin...hur-carmine-cavalier

The prices are slightly criminal, but if you use them a lot they justify it
The following user(s) said Thank You: quozl

More
31 Mar 2021 17:55 #321529 by DukeofChutney

RobertB wrote: I recommend cribbage. The rules are nuts, in a good way. Nothing else is quite like it - it's not trick taking, it doesn't exactly have melds, and it isn't rummy.

My brother and I used to play klaberjass when we weren't playing cribbage. It's kinda sorta pinochle flavored.

I'd also recommend springing for a paperback Hoyle's. Maybe buy two, and throw one in your bugout bag if you already have an emergency deck of cards. "The world's coming to an end. Let's learn how to play three-handed pinochle!" :)

I've been playing Klaber for the past week, it might have made this list had i not written it a few weeks ago. Also been looking at Jo-Jotte. I've been using David Parlett's Penguin book but you can get an Ebook Hoyle here; www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/53881 . Its an old one, but it has most of the common all fours family in it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
01 Apr 2021 14:17 - 01 Apr 2021 14:31 #321583 by Cranberries
Those custom cards might be Jocu's "Green Man--Winter" deck.

www.jocu.cards/product/the-green-man-spring?v=7516fd43adaa

A moment's Googling revealed this custom Beowulf themed deck:

kingswildproject.com/collections/beowulf/products/beowulf

I wish all game art was this good:

Last edit: 01 Apr 2021 14:31 by Cranberries. Reason: added another pretty picture
The following user(s) said Thank You: Whoshim

More
01 Apr 2021 14:56 - 01 Apr 2021 14:58 #321588 by Shellhead
I bought this Ultimate deck a few years back. Premium quality cards with different art on each card:

Last edit: 01 Apr 2021 14:58 by Shellhead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, DukeofChutney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.387 seconds