G
GrantLyon
April 12, 2021
384 0
O
oliverkinne
April 09, 2021
331 0
Bugs Update: Recent Topics & Main Menu (11 Dec 2020)

Main Menu drop down bug has been fixed. You may need to clear your cache to pick up the new code.
Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Sleeping Gods Review

More
02 Apr 2021 00:00 #321605 by oliverkinne
If you know other ...

We had been transported to another world, another time maybe. The stars were all wrong, not matching any of the charts we had on board our ship, the Manticore. Captain Sofi Odessa decided we should make landfall and spotted a natural harbour nearby. As we got closer, we saw an old woman waving to us from the shore. It seemed like she had been expecting us. Once we had dropped anchor, we went to the starboard side to speak to the woman and find out what she wanted. She was clearly excited to see us and immediately told us that we were here to wake the Sleeping Gods by Red Raven Games.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2021 13:29 #321606 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Sleeping Gods Review
I am wrestling with temptation. I want Sleeping Gods and I want Cursed City, but I am on a budget. It will likely depend on how cheaply I can get a stripped copy of Cursed City.

More
03 Apr 2021 20:01 #321634 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Sleeping Gods Review
Sleeping Gods offers a unique experience, and one that suits this extended period of social distancing, so I'm going to get it. I had concerns about the combat system, but I watched a couple of YouTubes and concluded that wasn't an issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
03 Apr 2021 21:13 - 03 Apr 2021 21:15 #321635 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Sleeping Gods Review
It’ll make a nice pairing with Tainted Grail. Like Charlie mentioned, TG offers a less scattershot narrative but comes wrapped with a grind that, while gradually less implacable as you level up & explore, does create an intentionally oppressive ambience. Sleeping Gods is much more open, though the story feels a bit more like Tales of The Arabian Nights in its more nonlinear/aleatory blooming of keywords & locations as you sail the map. Both have given me some memorable solo experiences. I’m taking a breather from narrative games for a bit, but I can’t wait to jump back into the extra content for TG.
Last edit: 03 Apr 2021 21:15 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, charlest

More
06 Apr 2021 16:37 #321733 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic Sleeping Gods Review
Great review! I agree with all of that. My family is about 2/3 of the way through our first game (just finished the second time through the Event Deck). We've got 4 totems (out of the necessary 8), so we're going to have to pick up the pace.

One thing I would mention is that the game is hard. Resources are tight, and you never seem to have enough money or command tokens. Our ship is currently held together with duct tape and prayers. We've got about four bucks to our name, just about all the characters are exhausted and banged up for shit. It's tough. And with the Event Deck timer, you don't have time to grind or play it safe. There's tremendous pressure to keep pushing onward.

One of the more interesting things for me is judging when to go all-in on accomplishing a Challenge. Do we exhaust a bunch of characters, spend a ton of command, and use up some adventure cards, just to make sure we pass?? Sometimes it's worth it just to say "to hell with it, gonna take the 'L' on this one," take your punishment, and keep going. In most cases, failing a challenge doesn't prevent you from continuing; it just means you're going to get hammered, usually with damage.

Combat is surprisingly meaty. It's long, and I've read complaints that it bogs the game down, but that's rubbish. It doesn't crop up often enough for it to really be a problem. In our last session, we didn't have any combat at all. I like the combat system a lot. Tons of tough decisions and table-talk as we puzzle through the best approach.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
06 Apr 2021 17:08 #321737 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Sleeping Gods Review
I think how often you have combat and how difficult the game is overall - regarding resources, exhaustion, ship damage, etc. - is highly variable. I've had a string of sessions with little combat, and other plays where I had three fights in about 90 minutes. It really depends on what story options and quests you pursue.

Overall I've found the difficulty good. A little difficult but where it should be. I've never felt that strained. I will say, if you get a totem or two which offers a strong effect (such as a strong weapon), things can get much easier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds