October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Sekigahara - Tokugawa Rides Out

More
27 May 2021 09:20 #323489 by Andi Lennon
Adrift and jaded in a sea of blinged-out ‘narrative’ titles,...

Every so often you encounter a gaming experience that is so good it makes you re-evaluate your entire relationship to the hobby. Sekigahara- The Unification of Japan by designer Matt Calkins and published by GMT Games, offers one such experience.  

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2021 09:54 #323490 by Disgustipater
I've owned this game for a couple of years and haven't gotten to try it yet. I really need to just strong arm a friend into playing with me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius, Andi Lennon

More
27 May 2021 10:13 #323492 by Jackwraith
Great stuff. I love this game. I have a regular 2-player friend who's played a lot of block wargames with me, to varying level of enjoyment. This is the one he always singles out to play again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Andi Lennon

More
27 May 2021 11:20 #323498 by san il defanso
I bought this from one of our former regulars here. Having played it just a couple times, and not being a very experienced war-gamer, Sekigahara is the gold standard for just about everything I love in war games. Its interpretation of the historical period is so finely considered, its graphic design is so appealing, and it has a ton of bluffing and risk-taking, which is my bread and butter. Truly a masterpiece of game design.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo, Andi Lennon

More
27 May 2021 19:01 #323518 by Andi Lennon

Disgustipater wrote: I've owned this game for a couple of years and haven't gotten to try it yet. I really need to just strong arm a friend into playing with me.

You really should! Be sure to impress upon your friend the relative simplicity of the system to assuage their fears. It looks heavy but is instead heady.

More
27 May 2021 19:03 #323519 by Andi Lennon

Jackwraith wrote: Great stuff. I love this game. I have a regular 2-player friend who's played a lot of block wargames with me, to varying level of enjoyment. This is the one he always singles out to play again.

I find myself gravitating more and more towards two player head-to-head games of late. There's a purity there and a fantastic satisfaction that comes from matching wits in such a focussed manner. Choices matter. Few facilitate that sensation better than this one.

More
27 May 2021 19:07 #323520 by Andi Lennon

san il defanso wrote: I bought this from one of our former regulars here. Having played it just a couple times, and not being a very experienced war-gamer, Sekigahara is the gold standard for just about everything I love in war games. Its interpretation of the historical period is so finely considered, its graphic design is so appealing, and it has a ton of bluffing and risk-taking, which is my bread and butter. Truly a masterpiece of game design.

It really is a masterful example of interlocking systems and elegant mechanisms that engenders both tension, flow and player engagement. The way it incorporates the themes of alliance and betrayal so seamlessly is ingenious. Despite its nominal position in the wargame tradition I think its appeal is near universal.

More
27 May 2021 22:54 #323522 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Sekigahara - Tokugawa Rides Out
You won't need too strong an arm, Digustipater. It's great. Failing that though, there's a nice implementation on yucata (in fact, the only place I've played it).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andi Lennon

More
27 May 2021 23:00 #323523 by Andi Lennon

mc wrote: You won't need too strong an arm, Digustipater. It's great. Failing that though, there's a nice implementation on yucata (in fact, the only place I've played it).

But the blocks! The blocks! They teeter, they tumble! They feel very nice indeed :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mc

More
28 May 2021 02:46 #323526 by mc
it I had a copy but was playing on yucata I would be setting that baby up in front of the screen, make no mistake. I've almost bought it a few times.

More
28 May 2021 02:50 #323527 by Andi Lennon

mc wrote: it I had a copy but was playing on yucata I would be setting that baby up in front of the screen, make no mistake. I've almost bought it a few times.

I'd not heard of Yucata til now, I'll check it out, cheers.

More
28 May 2021 02:56 #323528 by mc
Porfiriana is on there too. Just sayin.

More
28 May 2021 04:10 #323529 by Davidjc
I don't own a lot of two player only games, as opportunities for playing two players are quite limited. The two that I keep are 13 Days and Sekigahara. Both have only been played a limited amount of times, but neither will leave my collection. Sekigahara is one of the few longer head to head games that I like. Head to head is a style of game that I don't really enjoy - perhaps it is the intensity of conflict. I dont mind conflict such as in a Meeples on the Map game, but it is too much one to one. But somehow Sekigahara makes it more palatable to me. This is probably due to the beauty of the pieces and the map, as well as the Fog of War (perhaps other fog of war types of game might intrigue me).

More
28 May 2021 07:26 - 28 May 2021 07:30 #323530 by Andi Lennon

Davidjc wrote: I don't own a lot of two player only games, as opportunities for playing two players are quite limited. The two that I keep are 13 Days and Sekigahara. Both have only been played a limited amount of times, but neither will leave my collection. Sekigahara is one of the few longer head to head games that I like. Head to head is a style of game that I don't really enjoy - perhaps it is the intensity of conflict. I dont mind conflict such as in a Meeples on the Map game, but it is too much one to one. But somehow Sekigahara makes it more palatable to me. This is probably due to the beauty of the pieces and the map, as well as the Fog of War (perhaps other fog of war types of game might intrigue me).

I recently picked up 13 Minutes - the micro game variant of 13 Days at an online auction after mistaking it for its bigger brother which I'm really keen to try. It was a crestfallen unboxing, but surprisingly for a game that legitimately lasts 13 minutes, it's pretty compelling.

Side note, if you dig that kind of card driven play then Twilight Struggle is an obvious recommendation, along with Judean Hammer which I covered recently.

I'm about to dive into 'Victory and Glory: Napoleon' which despite its crap name looks to offer a similar experience. Sekigahara is in a class of its own though. If you dig it, Compass Games are currently taking orders for 'Granada' which looks to offer a similar system and beauty of components. I'm really looking forward to checking that one out. Plus there's always Stratego, that's an evergreen.
Last edit: 28 May 2021 07:30 by Andi Lennon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
28 May 2021 08:44 #323531 by Davidjc
Thanks for the suggestion on Granada (I think) - I had vaguely heard about it, but hadn't looked into it more. I had actually read your review on Judean Hammer, and it sounded pretty good - but I might revisit it again.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.634 seconds