October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Out of Memory - Memory Elements in Games

More
08 Jun 2021 00:00 #323801 by oliverkinne
So, I used to play ...

Remembering things is not my strong point. Not because I'm getting a bit older now - I'm only in my 40s - but because I'm relying more heavily on technology to remember things for me. Online spreadsheets tell me what game to review next or what article to write. Oh, speaking of which, articles are made in advance and then scheduled in, along with all the related social media messages. So, no, I don't need to remember much. Maybe that's why I don't like memory elements in games, but let me use this article to go into this in a little more depth.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2021 13:23 #323802 by jason10mm
I've not played many games that require memorization in game. I think Survive:Escape from Atlantis requires you to put different value tokens down and not look at them again, so if you want to prioritize saving your highest value people you gotta memorize their locations. But otherwise most of the games I recall with any memorization aspect involve getting to look at an opponents top 3 cards or something, real short term stuff.
Maybe getting to peek at units in a block or trading game.

Otherwise it mostly falls into the "card counting" realm of just memorizing the possible cards/options and ticking them off that mental list so you know the odds of the next thing being really good or really bad for you. But that is mostly just knowing all the options in the game versus a new player that might not know that there is an 8 point statue in Seven Wonders to even get if they are planning a blue victory when drafting cards (though I suppose if you know enough to even form a strategy at the beginning you must be at least somewhat familiar with the cards).

I'd be curious to try a game that really relied heavily on memorization. I suspect it would have a very limited audience but as a party game with some drinking it could be hilarious :)

More
08 Jun 2021 13:32 #323803 by Shellhead
Sometimes just remembering all the rules to the game is enough of a memory challenge. I guess that I do a bit of card counting when I am playing a CCG, because I want to keep track of how many of a crucial card are left in my deck as the game progresses. Battle for Rokugan can reward a player with a good memory, because every player has a finite supply of nearly identical chits, plus one special chit per faction. Due to the significant bluffing element, it can be handy to remember if a given opponent has used up a certain type of chit.

More
08 Jun 2021 17:35 - 08 Jun 2021 20:22 #323806 by boothwah
I remember back in the swccg days, one of the skills that differentiated the the top tier players from scrubs like myself was the ability to "track destiny." For reference, you used your deck as your life force and you used cards in hand as force to pay for your cards - cards constantly moved from hand, to discard then back into the bottom of your deck. And these guys could track well enough to ensure they were always pulling a 7 off the top of the deck when it came time to battle. Crazy.

Also for reference - my 4 year old can kick my butt at a game of 8x8 Frozen Memory. She can remember where the Anna/Elsa with the blue background was, that I flipped on the first turn, when she turns one 8 or 9 turns later.
Last edit: 08 Jun 2021 20:22 by boothwah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, Whoshim, DarthJoJo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds