October 09, 2023
2483 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2685 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

It’s Weylan, Not Weyland - Alien: Fate of the Nostromo Review

More
06 Aug 2021 12:30 - 06 Aug 2021 12:31 #325284 by ubarose
I feel that this game portrays the middle section of the film from just after Kane dies, when the crew is spit balling ideas about what to do, up to the point where they realize they are fucking screwed and shit is hopeless. Players win the game if they fulfil a certain number of missions (depending on player count) and then fulfil a finale mission.

The regular missions are like all the ideas they spit balled in the film - like, maybe we should build and use a motion detector, or a flame thrower, but we have to get parts, so lets all divide up and get some parts and meet up at a certain location. This is the largest part of the game and brings us up to just before they decide to send Dallas into the air vents, so it makes total sense that there is not any player elimination during this part of the game.

If you are able to succeed at all those missions and haven't become totally demoralized/terror stricken and still have a some hope of survival left you move on to the Finale Mission. It is actually pretty damn hard to even get to this point. But if you do, the Finale Missions aren't anything like "Destroy the Alien and everyone survives." It's more like, " Beat Ash's head in and use a flame thrower on the Alien to make it retreat to the lower deck." So winning the game typically means the Alien is still alive and on the ship, but you all aren't yet completely paralyzed by fear and screaming in a corner like Lambert.

So therefore, the only character elimination the game kind of papers over, depending upon the Finale Mission, is Dallas' early demise.

For me, the scariest part of the film is when they are all wandering around with nothing but motion detectors and flashlights getting the bejezus scared out of them, and the game does this bit really well. The most interesting part of the movie are the characters contentiously debating what the fuck to do, and in the game the players absolutely play this out (sometimes even becoming as cross and stubborn with each other as the characters themselves)
Last edit: 06 Aug 2021 12:31 by ubarose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2021 14:35 #325285 by Disgustipater

hotseatgames wrote:

ChristopherMD wrote: Alien is a rated R horror movie in the USA. So I wouldn't think the IP was a good choice for the kids toys section at Target in the first place.

Heh. I was working as a co-op student in the Industrial Design department of Kenner Toys circa 1994. There were Aliens toys all over the place.

I was going to say, I had a bunch of Aliens and Robocop toys as a kid.

More
06 Aug 2021 19:11 #325291 by Ryan

Michael Barnes wrote: I used to feel differently about player elimination but now I’m of the opinion that it is a very kind of gatekeepery, “git gud” mentality. Don’t care if the setting or subject matter suggests it as an assumed necessity. If the family sits down to play the game they bought at Target and one kid is eliminated in the first 10 minutes because THATS HOW IT’S SUPPOSED TO BE LOSER...that’s not fun for anyone but the kind of smug asshole that sits there and insists that the game continues even though participants have been cut out of it.

Well, yeah, playing with people with that type of mentality is not going to be fun with player elimination or otherwise. I think there's still a place (and demand) for modern games with player elimination. When done right, it adds a lot of tension and excitement. In Nemesis, knowing that I could be taken out at any point adds a ton of suspense and works well thematically. I'm not saying it's for everybody, but speaking as player that has been flushed out of an airlock by his wife on round 1, I personally enjoy it.

Nice review. I'm still interested in checking this one out even if we all survive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, sornars

More
06 Aug 2021 19:21 #325292 by n815e

Ryan wrote: I'm not saying it's for everybody, but speaking as player that has been flushed out of an airlock by his wife on round 1, I personally enjoy it.

Ah, domestic bliss!

More
06 Aug 2021 23:32 #325298 by Shellhead

Michael Barnes wrote: I used to feel differently about player elimination but now I’m of the opinion that it is a very kind of gatekeepery, “git gud” mentality. Don’t care if the setting or subject matter suggests it as an assumed necessity. If the family sits down to play the game they bought at Target and one kid is eliminated in the first 10 minutes because THATS HOW IT’S SUPPOSED TO BE LOSER...that’s not fun for anyone but the kind of smug asshole that sits there and insists that the game continues even though participants have been cut out of it.

We wouldn't even be having this discussion if Ridley Scott had approached the movie with your mindset, gutting the horror element and making it rated G so that everybody can enjoy a nice, pleasant science-fiction movie. Not everything should be reduced to the least offensive denominator in search of extra cash. I get it, you're a parent with young children, but Alien was never a movie intended for young children. There are already plenty of movies and games that are aimed at a young audience.

More
07 Aug 2021 08:49 #325307 by Msample

hotseatgames wrote:

ChristopherMD wrote: Alien is a rated R horror movie in the USA. So I wouldn't think the IP was a good choice for the kids toys section at Target in the first place. I'll wait for it to hit the clearance rack.

Heh. I was working as a co-op student in the Industrial Design department of Kenner Toys circa 1994. There were Aliens toys all over the place. They made a lot of cool stuff for that line, some of which eventually made it into the Dark Horse comics. I still have several pieces, and they are sitting on a ledge above me as I type this.

I was bummed that I missed the chance to work on it. When I was there, the "hot" property was... Congo.

CONGO. I bet the minute that steaming pile wrapped filming, the main cast all said “ God I can’t believe we got paid for this shit “ .
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
07 Aug 2021 23:19 #325323 by jason10mm
Congo was a fun film. And Creighton was white hot at the time, even his lesser works were getting adapted.

I had a xenomorph toy as a kid, inner snapping jaws and everything. I know a 9 year old now with an entire line of Aliens and Predator toys, including the damned APC and I think a dropship (that might be a halo toy though). So bizarre that those IPs are even remotely kid friendly.

More
17 Aug 2021 12:24 #325694 by jason10mm
Speaking of BALLER ASS aliens toys, anyone seen this Hasbro Nerf Pulse rifle concept????
uk.hasbropulse.com/products/nerf-lmtd-aliens-m41-a-blaster

For some reason I can't ever load pics to this site but just picture a 3/4th scale M4A1 pulse rifle with a mag fed AND pump action mega dart feature. Apparently has electronic sounds and counter as well. Alas it is a garish yellow color, probably to pass toy gun laws in various places. Nothing some spray paint and dry brushing can't fix :P

It's on that Hasbro kickstarter type site I think, so pre-order till Oct 21, delivery a YEAR LATER! All for $100.

Aside from an airsoft version cobbled together from an actual Thompson SMG and shotgun parts, it's about as good as it gets I think.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
27 Aug 2021 20:11 - 27 Aug 2021 23:16 #326067 by Sagrilarus
Huh. I had the kids walk away from this one. Clearly we missed something. But it's got them watching Alien at the moment, which is a very good thing.
Last edit: 27 Aug 2021 23:16 by Sagrilarus.

More
28 Aug 2021 19:10 #326076 by Shellhead
Maybe they lost too much morale. Or maybe the mismatch of mechanics and subject matter left them unwilling to engage with the game.

More
28 Aug 2021 22:29 - 28 Aug 2021 22:38 #326080 by Sagrilarus
I don’t know. It’s a cooperative with the standard cooperative features (and nothing else).

I always get lured in on these things by people that love them and they all end up being the exact same game. It’s fine. Reminded me that I still dislike cooperative games. Thought it would be good with the kids.

They really like Shadows Over Camelot, which is the exact same concept with a much better narrative.

Had a big discussion about the film afterwards.
Last edit: 28 Aug 2021 22:38 by Sagrilarus.

More
30 Aug 2021 13:58 #326107 by Gregarius

jason10mm wrote: It's on that Hasbro kickstarter type site I think, so pre-order till Oct 21, delivery a YEAR LATER! All for $100.

Well, order Oct 21, starts shipping Jan 22. That's next year, but only three months later.
Also, that link is to the UK Hasbro site (I didn't check the US one), so the cost is in pounds.

Still, it looks pretty awesome. Thanks for the link! I can't think of a single reason for me to have one, except that I really kinda want it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
31 Aug 2021 13:54 #326129 by jason10mm
Oh, you are right, 1/10/22 is jan 10, not oct 1. i think I just assumed it was in the (IIRC) more euro centric day/month/year format since it was a uk site. Sweet, gonna get it that much sooner!

More
31 Aug 2021 15:55 - 31 Aug 2021 15:56 #326135 by Disgustipater
Last edit: 31 Aug 2021 15:56 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, hotseatgames, Kmann

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds