October 09, 2023
2220 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2439 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Escape Artists - An Interview with Themeborne Games

More
15 Sep 2021 11:50 #326569 by Andi Lennon
A suitably cult-like devotion to their wares has steadily blossomed...

Emerging out of the Norfolk city of Norwich – regarded as the most complete medieval city in the United Kingdom – it’s perhaps no surprise that the origins of Themeborne Games were set to percolate in the shadow of towering cathedrals (and mid-morning matters).

The trio of Thomas Pike (Director, Designer), Alex Crispin (Artist, Musician) and James Shelton (co-designer, filmmaker) have carved out an instantly recognisable style within the tabletop indie space that has captured the imagination of a legion of enthusiasts weaned on the dog-eared, yellowing, sense of adventure birthed of Firetop Mountains, Kai Monasteries, and Rogue Traders.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, HiveGod, mezike, Frohike, birdman37

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2021 17:45 #326570 by Frohike
This was an excellent read. Thanks, Andi!

(can't wait for the new Escape The Dark Sector material)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andi Lennon

More
17 Sep 2021 01:27 #326576 by Andi Lennon

Frohike wrote: This was an excellent read. Thanks, Andi!

(can't wait for the new Escape The Dark Sector material)

Thanks for reading man. Yeah it sounds like they have some pretty wild shit cooked up, which is great cos my core box is starting to crave a few fresh hells to keep things unpredictable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
20 Sep 2021 09:59 #326632 by jason10mm
Oh man, that bit about loading video games via cassette took me right back to Spain when we had to do the same thing. Did that tech ever cross the pond to the US? I don't remember ever seeing it, we always had cartridges in the US.

Between these guys and the Iron Helm stuff it is pretty easy to slip back into the 80's of our youth. All I need now is a TV mode that adds scanning lines to the bottom of the image to replicate worn VHS tapes, find some awful Little Ceasars pizza, and pound Mountain Dew like there is no tomorrow (which there wouldn't be for me at this age if I treated my body like that :P

Seeing the vinyl covers REALLY makes me want to reinvest in that hobby. Must resist....must resist....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andi Lennon

More
20 Sep 2021 19:03 #326654 by Andi Lennon

jason10mm wrote: Oh man, that bit about loading video games via cassette took me right back to Spain when we had to do the same thing. Did that tech ever cross the pond to the US? I don't remember ever seeing it, we always had cartridges in the US.

Between these guys and the Iron Helm stuff it is pretty easy to slip back into the 80's of our youth. All I need now is a TV mode that adds scanning lines to the bottom of the image to replicate worn VHS tapes, find some awful Little Ceasars pizza, and pound Mountain Dew like there is no tomorrow (which there wouldn't be for me at this age if I treated my body like that :P

Seeing the vinyl covers REALLY makes me want to reinvest in that hobby. Must resist....must resist....

Yeah the Commodore 64 was the most common gaming platform here in Australia. Although I was never lucky enough to own one I spent many afternoons waiting for Ghosts n Goblins to load at a friend's house. One of the things I love about 70's and 80's sci-fi is the 'retro future tech' aesthetic where everything still uses big buttons and dials and analogue media. I think EtDS captures that really well.

Prior to getting back into tabletop gaming, Vinyl records were probably my biggest concession to the 'collector mentality' - there's just something magical about their inconvenience hahahaha. I never felt like my band's albums were 'legit' until we had them out on vinyl. Needless to say I grabbed both soundtracks here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.390 seconds