October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Bits and Pieces - Board Game Accessories

More
02 Nov 2021 00:00 #327654 by oliverkinne
If you've followed my blog for a while, you will...

Once you've been delving into the board game hobby for a while, you discover there is more to it than just the games themselves. There is a whole swathe of board game accessories that lures you deeper into the rabbit warren of our wonderful and amazing hobby. In this article, I want to look at some options and give you an idea of what you can add to your collection to make your gameplay experience even more exhilarating.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2021 21:17 - 02 Nov 2021 21:21 #327655 by Virabhadra
Is it less wasteful to buy a second copy of a game than it is to sleeve the first one?

I never used to sleeve my cards, and I've never had anything really horrible happen to them. However, I have noticed the way that certain card finishes fade and wear, and in the past few years I've started picking up rarer games (e.g. Cave Evil) for which replacing the whole game, much less a single card, would be basically impossible.

I also refuse to riffle shuffle any of my cards, and sleeving them helps immensely with that. Box wear/damage doesn't bother me much, but I endeavor to keep the components pristine unto the heat death of the universe.

Oh, I have a dice tray and I love it. Makes getting games played in bed or on the ground a cinch.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2021 21:21 by Virabhadra.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, sornars

More
03 Nov 2021 12:44 #327660 by n815e
I used to never sleeve cards, but on some of my most played games I began to notice that there would be edge wear and markings that made them sometimes easily identifiable. Combined with also buying expensive games, or some card quality being inferior (quickly showing wear or so thin they could use some reinforcement), I became a sleever.

I draw the line though at coating everything in plastic or using coin capsules to keep tokens.

I like nice accessories and they help the urge to spend on games without buying more games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
03 Nov 2021 13:07 - 03 Nov 2021 13:08 #327664 by Gary Sax
I understand sleevers, but I tend to think of it as something to resort to. I don't have any apriori idea of what is going to get played 50-100 times, which is when I start to notice card wear problems. My spirit island copy is in extremely bad shape these days. I figure if it gets in too bad of shape (minor powers are in ROUGH shape) we'll sleeve it just to get rid of identifiability.

I should probably get enough sleeves to sleeve my arkham LCG player decks. Like 100 or so... may still do that, I dunno. They get shuffled a lot due to card powers, the nice thing is that you really only have to sleeve them once per campaign and then trade things in and out.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2021 13:08 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik, Gregarius

More
03 Nov 2021 13:49 #327672 by Virabhadra
Oh yeah, do neoprene mats count as an accessory? I will always take that where it is an option. I could carpet a house with all the neoprene in my collection.

More
03 Nov 2021 14:25 #327678 by Jexik
Waiting for damage and then sleeving to remove identifiability is generally my routine. Bad for the resell market, but reselling board games is kind of a pain anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus

More
03 Nov 2021 14:29 #327679 by Msample
I tend to sleeve after I've played a game once or twice ; by then I know if I will keep it long term or not. Some games with cards don't see a lot of shuffling/handling and I'll leave them unsleeved. Given the unpredictable nature of print/shelf life for wargames I tend to err on the side of caution and sleeve. Sleeves when bought in bulk are fairly cheap so I tend to always have a ton on hand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
03 Nov 2021 15:07 #327684 by Jackwraith
I really should sleeve a lot of my card games. I regret the wear that's happened with some of my older stuff or those games that were repeatedly played by MTG players used to sleeved cards, like Chaos in the Old World. The finish has clearly come off some of the spells cards in that one. They're not identifiably worn, but they're worn. One of the little details I really appreciated about Lovercraft Letter was that the cards came with nice, thematic sleeves, including some extras. I should really get some for games like Guildhall, The Crew, and Bloody Inn.

I know there are probably some pages on BGG that identifies what size various games need, but I'm not entirely sure how to find them.

More
03 Nov 2021 15:13 #327685 by sornars

Jackwraith wrote: I know there are probably some pages on BGG that identifies what size various games need, but I'm not entirely sure how to find them.

boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/164572/card-sleeve-sizes-games

And

www.sleeveyourgames.com/

Are the two resources I use.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Jackwraith, Gregarius, n815e

More
03 Nov 2021 16:19 #327691 by Msample
Thanks for that second link . Easier than going thru a fucking 228 page BGG thread.

More
03 Nov 2021 18:54 #327699 by Virabhadra
SleeveYourGames is a great tool and it's right 99% of the time. I made a project of sleeving most of my stuff at once, and it was super handy to be able to check off all the games I'd chosen and have the site spit out a "you need a total of X size sleeves, Y size sleeves, and Z size sleeves for your collection."

The flip side of doing everything at once is that I definitely ended up with sleeves that don't seem to fit components to any game that I own. I can't even tell where they're supposed to go. And the Yucatan Narrow sleeves the site recommended for Buffy the Vampire Slayer were too tall by half an inch - an easy fix with the papercutter, but still annoying. If you're careful, though, I think that kind of thing is easily avoidable.

More
03 Nov 2021 19:54 #327700 by Sagrilarus

Jexik wrote: Waiting for damage and then sleeving to remove identifiability is generally my routine. Bad for the resell market, but reselling board games is kind of a pain anyway.

I’m always amused that people who spend hundreds of dollars on paraphernalia each year are concerned about resale value of a game they’ll likely play seven times.

I sleeve as repair only. And to make cheap-ass print and plays.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
03 Nov 2021 21:12 #327702 by n815e

Msample wrote: Thanks for that second link . Easier than going thru a fucking 228 page BGG thread.

You can easily go to any specific game’s page, look at the geeklists and sort by hotness. That will take you directly there.

Or just hit the show titles only button on the list and follow the numbered link to the entry.

More
05 Nov 2021 19:19 #327737 by Erik Twice
A pack of sleeves costs 1 to 2€ and makes cards last forever. To me it's just horribly wasteful to damage your games when so little money can make them remain in perfect shape.

It doesn't take long for cards to become marked, either. You can very easily damage cards just by shuffling a couple times. Any game that has a coarse finish like Brass or Tragedy Looper will get marked fast. And any game with subpar components like Terraforming Mars wouldn't have lasted a week without sleeves. Also, while it might not be "game-ruining", most games with cards have hidden information on them and it sucks to recognize a certain card or event is going to appear because the card has a crease.

Cards will also pick up gunk and grease from both the table and player's hands. It's disgusting to pick a game only to see cards stick together becaus they are dirty. Sleeves don't tend to pick dirt so it's yet another problem they solve.

Even if you don't play a game, why risk damaging it? It's a game that can make another person happy, that can be sold, given away or just enjoyed again. To me it's automatic to sleeve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, Virabhadra

More
05 Nov 2021 20:14 - 05 Nov 2021 20:17 #327738 by Sagrilarus
The copy of Terraforming Mars I play on has at least 30 plays and its cards look fine.

If you want to sleeve, sleeve. But it’s not a panic to do it. Terraforming Mars might not be a bad choice because it’s good enough to warrant 100 plays.
Last edit: 05 Nov 2021 20:17 by Sagrilarus.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds