October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Barnes Best 2021

More
24 Dec 2021 09:48 #329008 by Michael Barnes
Like many game players, the pandemic forced a lot of...

My annual Game of the Year Celebration is here!

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2021 10:09 #329009 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Barnes Best 2021

We even had an unexpectedly long conversation about how to make the game about Dune after we all saw the film.

The dice must flow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
24 Dec 2021 10:31 #329010 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Barnes Best 2021
Were you listening in?

More
24 Dec 2021 11:09 - 24 Dec 2021 11:15 #329012 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Barnes Best 2021

You want “meaningful decisions” and “multiple paths to victory”? That is all this game is, top to bottom bottom to top.

You’re welcome.

This may sound hokey, but thematically, this game being named Can’t Stop and its graphic exposition of a Stop Sign in its classic edition is just one more place where six pounds of magic were pushed into a two pound bag. Something this small shouldn’t be this big.

And yes, my group often plays this on BGA while we wait for people to show up. One of our guys has a thousand plays in.
Last edit: 24 Dec 2021 11:15 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
24 Dec 2021 13:35 #329017 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Barnes Best 2021
Can’t Stop is a great game, one of those wonderful Sackson designs that defies age. Sort of like Acquire that way.

Some fav new and new-to-me games from 2021…

- Mystery Rummy games: Take your pick which one, I’ve enjoyed them all. I think Jack the Ripper gets the nod for me. I love games that iterate on familiar mechanics, because they are way easier to play with the broad populace. These are some of the best in that weight class that I’ve played in years.

- The Crew: Just got this on Black Friday and it’s already an all-timer for me.

- Nu-Dune: Someone on these forums mentioned that this sort of Nexus Ops-izes the 1979 original, and that’s about right. It doesn’t replace the original in the hobby, but it’s the one I want to play. It distilled my favorite parts of the original into a much shorter window, and maintained a whole lot of the flavor of the Duniverse.

Disney Villainous: What a cool game. I love how it found a way to nail all those different characters thematically, and make them largely distinct. It’s a surprisingly deep game, and even though we’ve played a bunch it feels like there’s so much left to discover.

Marvel Champions: One of the best solo games I’ve ever played, and just about the perfect commitment level for me in terms of deck-building. I’m most impressed by its scenario design. They do a good job of varying the rhythm of the game, and capturing all the different villains. Not cheap to get into but I’ve had a blast with it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Jackwraith, mezike, sornars, DarthJoJo

More
24 Dec 2021 17:55 - 25 Dec 2021 09:03 #329020 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Barnes Best 2021
Totally agree on Villainous. I've yet to find anyone local who appreciates the design as much as I do, but it's good to know I'm not alone in recognizing its depth.

Best New and New to Me games of 2021:

Ankh: This is one of Eric Lang's best, which is saying quite a lot. There's so much to explore here that it borders on the absurd. We're just getting into regularly playing with Pharaoh and I agree with him that it shouldn't be played without it, if you're not teaching newbs.

The Crew: Yeah, the hype was deserved. This one is really smart and really easy to sell to the normz, simultaneously.

Dune: Imperium: I still think it suffers a bit on the deck building angle from the inability to remove starter cards, but the mechanics are sound, the tension for board places is great, and the Dune flavor is visible. Very solid.

Cosmic Frog: Completely off-kilter and yet endlessly fascinating. This is Jim's best work yet and we're getting a ton of plays out of it.

Oath: Just another example of why Cole may be the best designer in the industry at the moment. The story potential from this one is of another order of magnitude. It demands a group willing to embrace it (as he says: "We're making someone's favorite game, not everyone's."), but if you have that group, the possibilities are almost endless.
Last edit: 25 Dec 2021 09:03 by Jackwraith.

More
25 Dec 2021 15:43 #329031 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Barnes Best 2021
Fields of Arle - Gets my Game of the Year award. The sandbox farming game has been a chill joy every play. Rare game where I think about it between games too. Apparently they're working on a huge expansion for this.

Nothing else saw enough plays to comment on here. I do expect Mini Rogue to become more popular.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax, mezike, DarthJoJo, Ah_Pook

More
25 Dec 2021 17:20 #329032 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Barnes Best 2021
^first expansion is very good too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
25 Dec 2021 17:54 - 25 Dec 2021 19:22 #329033 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Barnes Best 2021
I think Mikey Barnes needs to carry on with RPG games as he has obviously burnt out on boardgames (and nothing wrong with that) and is not finding the love and/or admiration he once had when he found games doing something different.
My 'go to' these days for innovation and freshness comes from designers in Poland and a few other European countries - first found it when I discovered Lords of Hellas from Awaken Realms a couple of years ago and since then I have bought (and am playing) Tainted Grail with Etherfields and ISS Vanguard lined up, and other companies like Into the Unknown and Go on Board joining in.
My best new game played this year is Tainted Grail, a simply amazing experience with a brilliant rich story and an as good game system layered on top of it.
I will also give support to the innovation and depth in Disney Villainous, another first time for me this year ... a few years after Mr Barnes announced it :whistle:.
Last edit: 25 Dec 2021 19:22 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, mezike, DarthJoJo

More
26 Dec 2021 01:01 #329035 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Barnes Best 2021
Ha, I forgot about Mini Rogue, I do love that game. Definitely a 2021 highlight. I have the expansions preordered.

Tom it’s no secret that where I am with board games in terms of what I like and what I want is pretty much marginalized in favor of…well, the games you like LOL. So when something significant comes out, it’s more significant.

Villainous has really held up, we still play pretty regularly. So stoked about the Pixar expansion coming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax

More
26 Dec 2021 10:27 #329038 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Barnes Best 2021
I actually wish Michael would write about games more often. I don't agree with much of his current perspective, but I find it very interesting and always enjoy reading the articles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, southernman, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Msample, mezike, sornars, Gregarius, n815e

More
26 Dec 2021 10:32 #329039 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic Barnes Best 2021

Michael Barnes wrote: Were you listening in?

There was already a dune dice game called this, if y'all didn't know ;)

For me GOTY had got to be Marvel Champions, I played it like 90 times and I still find it just as enjoyable.

Beyond that I'll give shouts to:

both versions of The Crew (like 70 combined plays there. These are all time greats)
Faiyum (my favorite new euro I played)
Lost Ruins of Arnak (another solid and fun new euro)
Bullet (a delightful spatial puzzle, but very polarizing among my groups due to the real time aspect of it)
Bloodborne (a fun and different feeling Kickstarter dungeon crawler)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax, Jackwraith, mezike, sornars, DarthJoJo, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
26 Dec 2021 10:58 #329042 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Barnes Best 2021
Surprising nobody here, Marvel Champions was my favorite game of the year. I might have played 50 times this year, but I usually played with 3 or 4 heroes, which made for a lot of game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, southernman, mezike, sornars, DarthJoJo, Ah_Pook

More
26 Dec 2021 15:12 - 27 Dec 2021 17:17 #329044 by sornars
Replied by sornars on topic Barnes Best 2021
This seems as good of a place as any to dump my best of 2021 awards.

Best new to me game of 2021 - Food Chain Magnate: I played this for the first time this year and absolutely fell in love with it. I've been primarily playing it async and it occupies my thoughts between turns where I will literally get up from the computer and pace around considering my options. I won't be doing that in my live plays as I think it may come across as vaguely threatening but it's one of the small pleasures async play affords me. After I commit my moves and wait for opponents to respond I feel like I need a cigarette. I don't love the scripted opening and I'm looking forward to getting more games in with more than 3 players to really see a dynamic market in action but there is so much depth to this game that it immediately shot Splotter up to the top of my publishers to watch list. Horseless Carriage is coming out in 2022 and I'm very excited to see what it's about.

Best comfort food of 2021 - Arkham Horror LCG: This has been my solo game of choice since 2020 but in 2021 it has reinvented itself by introducing me to the multiplayer version. I love the puzzle of the solo game but that same puzzle run in coordination with a friend makes the game shine in a very different way. Instead of being a puzzle you solve alone you get to muddle through with even less information making the game harder but much more rewarding as well.

Best flash in the pan of 2021 - Regicide: There were two weeks or so where everyone was talking about this game and then it kind of disappeared from the conversation. It deserved its time in the sun; I loved seeing what could be done with a standard pack of 52.

Best game that my partner is willing to play with me in 2021 - PARKS (& TRAILS): My partner is not much of a gamer but she's willing to indulge me which I really appreciate. PARKS is pleasant and smooth; not something most on this site would spend a lot of time on but it hits at just the right middle ground between her and my preferences. I really thought the NIGHTFALL expansion brought a lot to the game without adding much overhead but she vehemently disagreed. TRAILS is the lighter version that we brought along on vacation. It's also a pretty fine game that we enjoy playing together.

Best game of 2020 that's on everyone's 2021 list - Oath: I've spoken at length about this in other threads, it's great and everyone should play it at least once (or ideally a few times) just to see how storytelling can be done in a game through purely mechanical means. Even if you know you'll hate the game it's worth a play just to admire its design. Cole is an absolute genius and Leder Games’s willingness to swing for the fences and take risks means they're sitting at the top of my publishers to watch list alongside Splotter. I just wish I was playing this more regularly; it bounced off my regular group and the online group we had going has found it harder to coordinate schedules these days and when our schedules do align...

Best game of 2021 that should be on some people's 2022 list - John Company Second Edition: ... we play John Company. It bears repeating, Cole is a genius. As a game this is leaps and bounds better than the first edition. I personally believe that in making a better game, some of the biting criticism that was evident in the first edition has been smoothed off making for a less interesting critique but the game itself remains interesting while being much more playable. I generally dislike negotiation games mostly because I'm bad at them but while valuing things and identifying leverage remains a core skill required to succeed, the smooth procedural structure winnows the scope of your negotiations to one that's manageable for me. Keep your eyes out for this one and give the TTS mod a go if you can. Hop on the TWBG Discord and arrange a game if you don't think you can find enough folks locally. I've only played this a few times but the prospect of getting it played again is always on my mind.

Honourable mention for the category above should go to Magnate: The First City. I think this was a really solid game and also had some very well done criticism delivered through a mid-weight economic game. Not enough people in the general public have played this due to it being a Kickstarter/currently going through indie distribution. It's hitting wider distribution via retail now and is definitely worth a look once you can get it easily.

Best game of every year - Modern Art: The new edition of RA looks sweet but it won't supplant my favourite auction game.

Can't Stop is pretty good too but I simply don't play it enough to make as strong of a claim as Michael. I'm tempted to snap up a copy with the plastic pylons and stop sign before it disappears. While I do appreciate the smaller box size, I don't think the neoprene version coming out looks very good at all and I'm not a huge fan of the mountain climbing theme that's widely available here in Europe.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2021 17:17 by sornars.

More
26 Dec 2021 15:24 #329045 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Barnes Best 2021
I didn't play many games that came out this year. I barely had any game nights.

The only game I can think of that really warrants mention is Mind MGMT. I have barely scratched the surface, having not even been able to play with the full rules yet since again... no game nights. But what I have played points to this probably being the greatest hidden movement game ever created.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, mezike, sornars

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds