October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2652 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

The Truth about Heroquest - Review

More
07 Jan 2022 09:10 #329522 by Michael Barnes
To be honest, I don’t have that much nostalgia for...

Spoiler: IT'S A KIDS' GAME FOR KIDS.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2022 12:43 #329523 by Shellhead
Pre-pandemic, I attended a monthly board game group hosted by a hipster couple. Just before I joined the group, the husband acquired a 1990 MB edition Heroquest at an auction at GenCon. He was excited to play it, due to childhood nostalgia, and got so excited that he spilled a fancy craft brew all over the board. He wanted to play through the whole campaign over the course of the next several monthly game nights, but we only played about once every six months. I was the wizard. The game was tolerable but not great, and I would much rather play Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower.

More
07 Jan 2022 13:57 #329526 by NeonPeon
I remember playing a lot of Advanced Heroquest for maybe a month or two when my brother got it, probably in '89 or '90. We had good fun with it, and it was also my first experience with a DM-driven board game which was unique, and nice that it didn't take the preparation and dedication of a full-fledged RPG. But it never became an all-time favorite. I have no idea of the differences between Heroquest and its Advanced counterpart, but I mostly hear about nostalgia for plain ol' Heroquest. Wonder why.

More
07 Jan 2022 14:15 #329528 by jason10mm

Shellhead wrote: Pre-pandemic, I attended a monthly board game group hosted by a hipster couple. Just before I joined the group, the husband acquired a 1990 MB edition Heroquest at an auction at GenCon. He was excited to play it, due to childhood nostalgia, and got so excited that he spilled a fancy craft brew all over the board. He wanted to play through the whole campaign over the course of the next several monthly game nights, but we only played about once every six months. I was the wizard. The game was tolerable but not great, and I would much rather play Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower.

Wait, there is FANCY craft brew???? ;P

The price is the killer for me. I can coax my kids into some basic board games with a moderate amount of effort but few keep their attention (as games, if they have play-doh monster books as toys that is a bit different) for long. $125 or whatever is firmly out of the "yeah, let's give it a shot" category and I agree a de-miniaturized kid version would be awesome.

More
07 Jan 2022 14:32 #329530 by Shellhead
The best thing about Heroquest is this video review of Heroquest:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jpat, fightcitymayor, n815e

More
07 Jan 2022 14:43 #329532 by fightcitymayor

Shellhead wrote: The best thing about Heroquest is this video review of Heroquest:

It still amazes me that The Bard didn't use the triumphant return of Heroquest to re-launch his channel in any significant way. He was doing the nerd unboxing stuff before a lot of folks & could have parlayed it into a ton of eyeballs (because he is very watchable, albeit also quite pervy.) Major opportunity gone by the wayside in a day-and-age where everyone under 40 seems to harbor secret dreams of being an online YT celebrity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
07 Jan 2022 15:20 #329533 by jpat
I don't think I seriously thought about HQ, since I'm not sure how available it was before Christmas, but I bought my 12yo nephew a box set of the three core D&D 5e books and the beginner set (for the dice, if nothing else). Could he have probably "benefitted" from a milder slope into the hobby in the form of HQ, D&DAS, etc.? Possibly, but for about the same price he'll have the resources for years of adventure if he wants it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, mtagge, DarthJoJo

More
07 Jan 2022 15:22 #329534 by jason10mm

fightcitymayor wrote:

Shellhead wrote: The best thing about Heroquest is this video review of Heroquest:

It still amazes me that The Bard didn't use the triumphant return of Heroquest to re-launch his channel in any significant way. He was doing the nerd unboxing stuff before a lot of folks & could have parlayed it into a ton of eyeballs (because he is very watchable, albeit also quite pervy.) Major opportunity gone by the wayside in a day-and-age where everyone under 40 seems to harbor secret dreams of being an online YT celebrity.

Not just under 40!

Alas my well produced series of game reviews of vintage Avalon Hill games whilst nude in a hot tub failed to garner enough attention. Anyone got some waterproof game recs for a middle aged dad bod to play????

More
07 Jan 2022 15:31 #329536 by the_jake_1973
The hot tub makes a great terrain board for the VG Fleet series of games.

More
07 Jan 2022 15:51 #329539 by fightcitymayor

jason10mm wrote: Not just under 40!

Alas my well produced series of game reviews of vintage Avalon Hill games whilst nude in a hot tub failed to garner enough attention. Anyone got some waterproof game recs for a middle aged dad bod to play????

Shot fades in to scene of steamy sauna room...
jason10mm slowly stands up out of hot-tub, with strategically-placed PanzerBlitz box cover hiding his dong...

"Oh, hello there, I didn't see you come in!"
jason10mm towels off, revealing paunchy dad gut...
"You know what I like? A good Jim Dunnigan game design, like this... 1976's Panzergruppe Guderian, from the good people at Avalon Hill"
takes game box off the shelf before launching into game review...
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, jason10mm, Virabhadra

More
07 Jan 2022 17:15 #329544 by mtagge
I remember using the minis from Advanced Heroquest to kickstart a Skaven Warhammer Fantasy Battles army. Big mistake for cash poor me. Yeah, more a gateway than great game. Like the idea of getting the core books for a kid instead.

More
07 Jan 2022 22:14 #329550 by n815e
HeroQuest was a huge hit with my friends and family. We played and created dungeons and had a blast. It was a step up from Dungeon!, which was a game that really captured my imagination.

This lead us to other dungeon crawlers of the day. Dark World was disappointing. Space Hulk was fun, but mainly for the marines. Siege of the Citadel was a favorite.

Later on, out of nostalgia for HeroQuest, we picked up the disappointing Descent and Doom.

I was really tempted by the reprint. HeroQuest and Dungeon! generated a love for dungeon crawls. I suspect that it may not live up to recollections, and I want to keep those memories positive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, hotseatgames, drewcula, mtagge

More
08 Jan 2022 11:15 #329553 by dysjunct
My hot take is that the furniture is the main part of why HeroQuest was so great. When you opened the door, and Zardoz put down a weapons rack, a bed, and a treasure chest, it felt like you were going into a place — something actual and visceral and lived-in, not just a bunch of five-foot squares.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, n815e

More
08 Jan 2022 12:04 #329556 by Jexik
Jerry Hawthorne (Mice and Mystics, Stuffed Fables,etc) is a big Heroquest fan, and I think it shows in his games. A lot of the times people look at the combat or other systems in his games and think “is that it?” but I think it’s a conscious choice to keep the games kid friendly and pretty rules-light.

Personally, I played more Dragon Strike after my friend’s dog peed on their HQ board. Then we kinda did a bunch of AD&D 2e for awhile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
08 Jan 2022 12:38 #329557 by hotseatgames

Jexik wrote: Personally, I played more Dragon Strike after my friend’s dog peed on their HQ board.

I should have done that the time I was forced to play Agricola.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.379 seconds