October 09, 2023
2287 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Undaunted: Reinforcements Makes 2 Great Games Better- Review

More
18 Feb 2022 12:33 #331054 by Michael Barnes
Undaunted – both in its Normandy and North Africa flavors...

...and it all fits in one box.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2022 09:47 #331055 by orton1227
"not unlike that which today’s conservatives are pushing us all toward."

Geez, dude. I've spent my whole life as a progressive, very active politically until 2016 when I realized that my side was the intolerant one acting in imperialistic ways trying to eradicate the conservative enemy. Calling them Nazis and such. I hate that so many drank that kool-aid. Especially in the state of things today where all those politicians telling me that crap are somehow very wealthy, the party even wealthier, living extravagant lives. I'm certainly not a conservative, not by a long-shot. But I can tell you that I find them way more open-minded and compassionate these days. Wasn't always the case. Especially in the 80s and early 90s, but today for sure. Look there's good people all-around, but the ideologies are what needs to change. Pitting us against each other in the name of the ideology for THEIR benefit. Conservatives aren't your enemy. They're your ally. The elite class is your enemy. And unfortunately my former party has become so entwined with corporate elites and produced a real oligarchy I was once afraid (and told to be afraid) that the Right would build. It's good to know I'm not alone either. Most of my progressive friends see the same thing. I know if you open your mind a bit, challenge yourself, you can too. It's all about power. The left wants it badly. The right, well to be honest, the right might want it but is too calamitous to figure out that they might want it.

Trump broke a lot of people's minds. The funny thing is that, having been a progressive for so long, his behavior was like holding up a mirror to ours. I think conservatives fell in love with him (1) because he spoke to the working class while the left clearly despised them, and (2) because he embodied that rude, crude imperialist fighter that progressivism embodies. Even going back to its roots in the social gospel. I grew up Christian and the parallels between the Religious Right and progressivism are uncanny.

More
25 Feb 2022 11:23 #331064 by dysjunct
Welcome to ThereWillBe.Games!

So ... do you like games? Have you played Undaunted?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Jackwraith, mezike

More
25 Feb 2022 11:41 - 25 Feb 2022 11:47 #331068 by Jackwraith
Ah, yes. The "lifelong progressive" who suddenly did an about face because of the subtle emotional appeal of one Donald J. Trump. Is that something like the Trotskyites who eventually transitioned into neo-cons because they recognized that the struggle was all about power and embraced it? I used to be SWP back in the day, too.

No, that path to absolution doesn't start with embracing the biases of the modern American right-wing in order to "fight the power". (Barnes did make one mistake in using the label "conservatives". since even they don't like that label anymore ) That is, in fact, how a lot of neo-Nazis try to infiltrate hobby groups like furries, modelers and, yes, board gamers. "We're all just hobbyists here! It's us against the 'elite' who want to keep us from believing our own twisted little fantasies and projecting them into public policy!" I always love the "left despises the working class" thing, too. I used to be a labor organizer. I have as many friends in actual, functioning unions as I do in any other sphere of my life. When's the last time you and your "progressive friends" actually spoke to someone who works an assembly line? We struggled for a long time with the drift to the GOP over the "God and guns" appeal, but the problem wasn't detachment from "the left", as much as it was making sure that people felt like they could still make progress(!) in life with those same jobs. Of course, the economic policies (wage stagnation, anti-union, lack of domestic support) that made that difficult were all promoted by Republicans and still are. Have you seen [url=https://rescueamerica.com./11-point-plan/]Rick Scott's 11-point plan[/url]?

Tell you what: Why don't you and your "progressive friends" try a little harder to figure out who you really are and then wear those badges with pride? Most of the Trump-supporting GOP is doing that on a daily basis now. It's not even "saying the quiet part out loud" anymore. They're just saying it. You can, too. It'll be a lot easier than trying to keep up the fiction of being a "progressive my whole life" who only recently had an epiphany.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2022 11:47 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Sagrilarus, mezike, Frohike

More
25 Feb 2022 17:09 - 25 Feb 2022 17:10 #331087 by Michael Barnes
>>>Conservatives aren't your enemy. They're your ally.<<<

The fuck they are. I am absolutely their enemy. No exceptions.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2022 17:10 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jay718, Sagrilarus, Frohike

More
26 Feb 2022 14:47 #331109 by southernman
Game review only entices dumbfuck American politics arguments :huh: ... I didn't even bother reading it after seeing what it generated.

More
26 Feb 2022 15:57 #331110 by Jackwraith
It's not an "argument." It's someone dropping in here to try insinuating himself into a community to see if he can get people to rally around bullshit about how we'd all be better off if we stopped the "elites" from preventing us from being genuine libertarians (aka fascist assholes.) It happens all the time and the best thing to do is present a united front that either says "We don't tolerate that shit" like MB and I were trying to do or talk right past them about the original piece that was written like dysjunct tried to do. Your post, attempting to just piss on the whole exchange, doesn't do anything but vaguely generate sympathy for what they are trying to do (e.g. "Don't bring politics into our games...! Except, you know, these politics about people trying to prevent us from keeping things lily White and male...?")
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Sagrilarus, Frohike

More
27 Feb 2022 16:48 #331137 by southernman

Jackwraith wrote: It's not an "argument." It's someone dropping in here to try insinuating himself into a community to see if he can get people to rally around bullshit about how we'd all be better off if we stopped the "elites" from preventing us from being genuine libertarians (aka fascist assholes.) It happens all the time and the best thing to do is present a united front that either says "We don't tolerate that shit" like MB and I were trying to do or talk right past them about the original piece that was written like dysjunct tried to do. Your post, attempting to just piss on the whole exchange, doesn't do anything but vaguely generate sympathy for what they are trying to do (e.g. "Don't bring politics into our games...! Except, you know, these politics about people trying to prevent us from keeping things lily White and male...?")

The mature thing would have to ignored it rather than turn it into another unrelated shit storm, as we have been told by moderators and site owners on previous occasions - but it seems that directive gets ignored depending on the point of view.
And piss-poor attempt at trying to make me responsible for letting them off the hook, perhaps my post could just have been "yawn - another bunch of dumbfuck yanks fighting their polarized political crusades ... again".
How about beating on Putin rather than each other.

More
27 Feb 2022 17:17 #331139 by Gary Sax
Barnes's post brought up politics explictly in his review. Someone decided to engage that, so did Jackwraith. No one started talking about virtue signaling and various right wing tropes that lead down the exact same road so I let it continue at my discretion, nor was there an extended insult session besides some oblique political haranguing at each other.

If Barnes's post hadn't opened the door and/or the response had been some sort of annoying shit about cancel culture I'd probably say it's thread jacking and do something.

And yes, my moderating is quite subjective. It's the internet in 2022.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, Frohike, sornars

More
27 Feb 2022 18:16 #331140 by Jackwraith

southernman wrote: The mature thing would have to ignored it rather than turn it into another unrelated shit storm, as we have been told by moderators and site owners on previous occasions - but it seems that directive gets ignored depending on the point of view.

Yeah, we've seen how well "ignoring it" works on this side of the pond with people whipped into enough of a frenzy to have attacked the Capitol building, with many of them insisting that they were trying to "save America". No more. A lot of people ignored the rants in Germany in the 1920s, too. No more. I know you're probably one of those "just ignore them so you don't bring politics into my games" types because you're a relatively wealthy White English guy who, consequently, has a ton of advantages over people who don't have the luxury of that status. That gives you the privilege of saying "just ignore them." But the problem we're having right now in the US is front and center, so we can't just "ignore it", as it will only get worse. So, you just go ahead and keep up with your "mature" responses from your very comfortable position and the rest of us will actually take some responsibility for our society, thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, hotseatgames, Frohike

More
27 Feb 2022 22:36 - 27 Feb 2022 22:37 #331142 by dysjunct
“Orton1227” hasn’t logged into the site since his drive-by pooping three days ago, so it’s not like it was a good-faith attempt to engage in discussion. He was trolling and had no intention of joining our little chummy nerd community, or contribute to it in any meaningful way. He deserved to be called out and shut down.

If he actually comes back and talks about games instead of his transparently dumb political hobby horse, I’ll apologize. But his points are still objectively stupid — as if the pasty basement-dwelling “Jews will not replace us” dorks are “the elite” that we need to unite against. So fucking moronic.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2022 22:37 by dysjunct.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Jackwraith, Frohike

More
27 Feb 2022 23:53 #331144 by Michael Barnes
He was also going EXACTLY by the right wing instigator playbook…”just asking questions, I’m a reasonable dude, actually I’m kind of a victim of the intolerant left”, etc. This is how they infiltrate spaces- they fish for others to latch on to their reasonable, “fair” comments and it eventually grows into full blown right wing bullshit and before you know it your space is choked with them.

If he does come back I won’t apologize because as far as I am concerned he is not welcome here and I don’t give a shit about his comments on games. These people have to be barred at the door, full stop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, mezike, Frohike, Kmann

More
27 Feb 2022 23:56 #331145 by Michael Barnes
>>>>How about beating on Putin rather than each other.

Just this weekend at CPAC, a US conservative conference attended by many Republican politicians, Putin was cheered. They chanted his name. So beating on conservatives who view him as a politically incorrect white messiah IS beating on Putin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jay718, hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds