October 09, 2023
2220 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2440 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Condottiere Review

More
13 May 2022 10:18 #333026 by oliverkinne
After having played The King is Dead (2nd Edition) many...

The city-states of Venice, Florence and Genoa and their economy were doing extremely well. However, their military strength was extremely lacking not only in size, but also in experience and conviction. It was clear that strong soldiers with real battle experience were needed. So when the English soldiers returned from the Crusades, they were welcomed with open arms. Finally, the city-states would be able to extend their reach and influence, thanks to the wonderful Condottiere by Dominique Ehrhard, Duccio Vitale and Justin Kemppainen from Z-Man Games.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2022 15:43 #333027 by Greg Aleknevicus
Replied by Greg Aleknevicus on topic Condottiere Review
I want to like Condottiere more than I do. However, I blame the players more than the game. An important skill in the game is knowing when to play all your cards, not so you win the battle, but so that the round ends. This seems to be a hard skill to learn. Far too often a player with a poor hand will stick around, hoping their meagre cards become powerful enough a win a battle (due to the other players exhausting their hand). This usually results in giving the game to a player fortunate enough to draw a great hand.

More
13 May 2022 16:23 - 13 May 2022 16:26 #333029 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Condottiere Review
I love Condottiere, it's one of my favorite games for sparking very entertaining and gut wrenching above the table play.

I must say though that the old rules are much superior to the newer FFG and ZMan rules. The most recent printing has cards for both versions, do yourself a favor and stick with the more dramatic original rules/cards.

I also think there is more strategy than you're giving it credit for. There are many long-term decisions regarding when to participate or bow out of a fight, how early in the round you want to be active, whether you want to win an area simply for the additional card draw or actually to try and win, etc.
Last edit: 13 May 2022 16:26 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
14 May 2022 00:16 #333036 by WadeMonnig
Replied by WadeMonnig on topic Condottiere Review
Which version do you recommend Charlie? I almost got a Ding and Dent from minature market last time I was there but seemed pricey, so maybe it was a newer version?

More
14 May 2022 07:28 #333039 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Condottiere Review
I've been after that original version for a while. Those woodblock prints are way cooler than the by the numbers stuff on later editions. Don't know why a new one would be pricey.... It's a pretty straightforward game.

I believe the newer ones you can still play the original rules.

But in the meantime I worked out a way to play it with a hand drawn map and port royal cards. Although in truth i m not sure the fam really enjoy this one even if I do .
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig, DarthJoJo

More
14 May 2022 09:59 #333040 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Condottiere Review

mc wrote: I've been after that original version for a while. Those woodblock prints are way cooler than the by the numbers stuff on later editions. Don't know why a new one would be pricey.... It's a pretty straightforward game.

I believe the newer ones you can still play the original rules.

But in the meantime I worked out a way to play it with a hand drawn map and port royal cards. Although in truth i m not sure the fam really enjoy this one even if I do .

I just bought the large Eurogames box 2nd hand a couple months ago. i love the tarot-sized cards with the wood block images. This is also the second time I've owned it.

More
14 May 2022 11:02 - 14 May 2022 11:05 #333041 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Condottiere Review
I'm pretty sure, although not positive, you can play the original rules with any edition. Although I don't think the FFG edition actually included the old rules so you would need to look them up. Mostly the cards function slightly differently, such as the Bishops being more brutal originally than in the newer rulesets.

I have the latest version (ZMan I think), which is certainly not the best component-wise, but it includes the original rules and tells you which cards to use or remove based on which ruleset you're playing.

I wouldn't recommend anyone spend a lot on this game. Many groups don't quite appreciate it or find it enjoyable, I've seen it crash a number of times. It's certainly not guaranteed to succeed.
Last edit: 14 May 2022 11:05 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
14 May 2022 15:16 #333044 by WadeMonnig
Replied by WadeMonnig on topic Condottiere Review

WadeMonnig wrote: Which version do you recommend Charlie? I almost got a Ding and Dent from minature market last time I was there but seemed pricey, so maybe it was a newer version?

Well, it wasnt "Pricey" as in $$$. I just have in my head that it is $25.00 new and the ding and dent was like 40% off and was still like $23.00, so it wasn't the discount I was hoping for.

More
15 May 2022 11:33 #333050 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Condottiere Review

WadeMonnig wrote:

WadeMonnig wrote: Which version do you recommend Charlie? I almost got a Ding and Dent from minature market last time I was there but seemed pricey, so maybe it was a newer version?

Well, it wasnt "Pricey" as in $$$. I just have in my head that it is $25.00 new and the ding and dent was like 40% off and was still like $23.00, so it wasn't the discount I was hoping for.

A board game for $25? What do think this is? 2017? This is a $79.99 game if I've ever seen one!
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, WadeMonnig

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.393 seconds