October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Defenders of the (Pub Game) Faith: A Heads Will Roll Review

More
18 May 2022 00:00 #333110 by WadeMonnig
“In days of Yore, according to Lore, after a battle,...

“TPK, Man, TPK!” the adventurer screamed as he rushed from the dragon's lair just seconds before dissolving into a fine ash. Only a steaming skull remains. “Hmmm” The dragon mused “Blackened. Is there a modifier on Blackened Skulls?”

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2022 09:58 #333111 by MattFantastic
Thanks so much for the review! I'm really stoked on the new edition!

And I certainly have a lot of practice playing games with the bad kids at 2am...
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
18 May 2022 10:26 #333112 by ubarose
This game is more fun than it has a right to be. So glad it is getting another printing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
18 May 2022 11:06 #333116 by WadeMonnig

ubarose wrote: This game is more fun than it has a right to be. So glad it is getting another printing.

It had permanent residence in our "rounding the night up" duct taped Yatzee box that's filled with waterproof cards and plenty of dice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
20 May 2022 08:52 #333156 by jason10mm
How damaging is this to the typical wood table? I feel like dropping angular metal pieces on the standard wood kitchen table would leave a lot of tiny dents, making the mat more of a necessity than an option lest the she-dragon of the house start rolling heads for reals.

More
20 May 2022 08:54 #333157 by jason10mm
And shame on you for not having a single pun about the devs name being "Matt Fantastic" :P

More
20 May 2022 11:05 #333168 by WadeMonnig

jason10mm wrote: How damaging is this to the typical wood table? I feel like dropping angular metal pieces on the standard wood kitchen table would leave a lot of tiny dents, making the mat more of a necessity than an option lest the she-dragon of the house start rolling heads for reals.

No real impact on our dining room table and I'm pretty sure the wife would have noted it. But we pretty much play exclusively on a lazy susan now.

More
20 May 2022 17:56 #333174 by jason10mm
Assuming it is even available, are the gold skull add-ons worth it? I'm entranced and trying to track a copy down but not sure which version to get.

More
20 May 2022 21:11 #333177 by WadeMonnig

jason10mm wrote: Assuming it is even available, are the gold skull add-ons worth it? I'm entranced and trying to track a copy down but not sure which version to get.

I'd say to check out the kickstarter page for the most up to date info. They have done some changes to the sculps of the skulls, so I can't really comment on what the finals will be like. I think the KS is shipping soon-ish, so it should be pretty easy to pick up. I'll reach out to Matt about stopping by this thread and answering.

More
21 May 2022 17:19 #333185 by MattFantastic
Question answers...

1. If you play hard on a delicate table you could fuck it up, but generally speaking it is pretty chill on the surfaces. I personally still prefer no playmat but I'm the only one of the team who does. But you also can't fit a playmat in your pocket.

2. If you have it or can buy it now it's the original edition (the new edition dropped the "Dragoon" from the name among other things) but there are a few very minor variations across the few printings it got.

3. I would wait for the new version to come out if you're only going to buy it once. The original runs are done using all existing Dragoon pieces, and for the new one we changed it up and made some pieces specifically for HWR. The shield is especially better for flicking.

4. New edition will still be a minute till it's out. We're supposed to have another round of metal samples in hand in a few days. I'm being sort of a dick about them having the right size and feel so it's been taking a little longer than hoped, but if these are good then everything else is done and it's on to full mass production and then getting them here.

5. Gold skulls are cool and open up some additional variants and ways to play. Totally not needed, and it is a duplicate sculpt, but I especially like some of the weirder stuff you can do with them. HWR "minigolf" is particularly fun and different. I don't actually know how many of the deluxe KS versions are getting printed, but there will be extras I'm sure and they'll be available direct at least.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, WadeMonnig

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds