October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Nemesis Review

More
01 Jul 2022 11:04 #334009 by oliverkinne
Nemesis Review was created by oliverkinne
Before you say anything, let me make it clear that...

Waking up from years of hibernation, all of us were a bit dazed and confused. Temporary amnesia was very common and while we all knew our names, we only had some basic memories of what had happened before or what we were meant to do. We weren't even sure which ship we were on, let alone its layout. When we saw that one of our colleagues was dead and had a gaping hole in their chest, we knew something was seriously wrong. Nobody was sure what caused our colleague's death. We knew we had to work together to get out of this nightmare, but the trust in each other had evaporated. So we set about exploring the ship and finding our Nemesis by Adam Kwapiński from Awaken Realms.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2022 15:21 - 04 Jul 2022 15:25 #334010 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Nemesis Review
Thanks for the review, you nailed it better than I could have and I'm glad that fans of it include other gamer types than just dice-chucking scrappers like me.

It is a pretty clever design and yet is, as you say, still pretty simple to learn and plan - this is one of quite a few games coming from Awaken Realms, and some other Polish game companies, that come from a slightly different direction in design (Lords of Hellas, This War of Mine, Tainted Grail, Etherfields) that has been like a gale of fresh air to me. And they also introduced the 'sundrop' option on their minis that has been a revelation to non-painters like me (although after seeing it and watching a few pseudo-sundrop painting videos I did a dry-brushing attempt on my Lords of Hellas minis and they look not too bad) and is now being followed by other kickstarter companies.

The only thing would have liked to see come with this during it's second print run during the Nemesis Lockdown campaign were extra objectives ... and maybe more dice manipulation options with the one combat dice for us long-time unlucky rollers :pinch: .
Last edit: 04 Jul 2022 15:25 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, sornars

More
04 Jul 2022 18:46 #334014 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Nemesis Review
I’ve never done it, but years ago the “dip” method was the preferred super fast way to shade miniatures and it looked good enough. Just get some Army Painter shade or Minwax floor wax and dip your minis in it. The recesses will be shaded and the miniatures will have a protective coat.

You can even do one coat of paint and dip.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
04 Jul 2022 18:50 #334015 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Nemesis Review
Sundrop is someone close to that approach using dry brushing, looks like. Undercoat base color, then do 2-3 drybrush passes of lighter colors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Msample, Frohike, sornars, n815e

More
05 Jul 2022 17:25 #334037 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Nemesis Review

Gary Sax wrote: Sundrop is someone close to that approach using dry brushing, looks like. Undercoat base color, then do 2-3 drybrush passes of lighter colors.

This is what I have seen experienced painters advise unskilled people like me do - in the end this worked OK for me on the larger minis in Lords of Hellas but I don't think I would have done that well on the smaller ones in Nemesis or Tainted Grail, I just played it safe and paid the extra for a good job (and the Nemesis intruders' sundrop do look bloody good).

More
05 Jul 2022 18:02 #334038 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Nemesis Review
Yeah, I wasn't telling you you shouldn't pay for the service, I was just confused at what it actually was so I looked it up. So a bit more involved than dipping.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
25 Jul 2022 16:36 #334489 by UniversalHead
Replied by UniversalHead on topic Nemesis Review
I played the new version, Lockdown, the other day and enjoyed it even more. BTW I did a tutorial on how to paint the aliens (you don't have to be 'skilled!') that was quite popular, you can find it on my YouTube channel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, Msample, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds