October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2437 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Alea iacta est : A Sagrada Board Game Review

More
10 Aug 2022 00:00 #334979 by WadeMonnig
Thou shall not place like colored dice beside each other...

We are gathered here today to assist in the completion of the Sagrada Família. Please be seated. As novices, you will be assisting in creating some beautiful stain glass façades. Please turn to page three of your hymnals so that we can review a few of the commandments...err...rules of Sagrada. No need to kneel, just a few tips to keep you from eternal damnation.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2022 00:32 #334980 by Jackwraith
Excellent. It strikes me that there are so many games like this, among them Azul and its various contortions, that I really just have no interest in. In fact, the only reason I read this is because you wrote it and you began it with the quote attributed to Caesar.

History nerd moment: The idea that Caesar would have uttered something like "The die is cast" is actually in total contrast to his character, which was extremely confident and willing to dare many situations that more conventional Romans (the Optimates) would not. So, saying something that had such ominous overtones really wasn't Caesar, so to speak. Many historians think that, if the story isn't apocryphal (probably is) he would've said something like: "Let the dice fly." which is still appropriate for this game, of course.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
12 Aug 2022 10:37 #334986 by ubarose
We play a lot of Sagrada with casual gamers - mostly my daughter and her friends. One of them even bought a copy for themselves. It’s easy to teach, and people just get it. It’s not about weird, nerd shit. It’s an engaging puzzle, but not so absorbing that you can’t socialize while playing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, WadeMonnig, Virabhadra

More
12 Aug 2022 12:39 #334990 by WadeMonnig

ubarose wrote: We play a lot of Sagrada with casual gamers - mostly my daughter and her friends. One of them even bought a copy for themselves. It’s easy to teach, and people just get it. It’s not about weird, nerd shit. It’s an engaging puzzle, but not so absorbing that you can’t socialize while playing.

We've played it alot because it is easy to teach and it's pretty. I always feel bad for someone when they realize they played a die "illegally" and have to remove dice until they are legal again...especially if it's because they were socializing and not paying close enough attention.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
12 Aug 2022 12:56 #334992 by ubarose

WadeMonnig wrote:

ubarose wrote: We play a lot of Sagrada with casual gamers - mostly my daughter and her friends. One of them even bought a copy for themselves. It’s easy to teach, and people just get it. It’s not about weird, nerd shit. It’s an engaging puzzle, but not so absorbing that you can’t socialize while playing.

We've played it alot because it is easy to teach and it's pretty. I always feel bad for someone when they realize they played a die "illegally" and have to remove dice until they are legal again...especially if it's because they were socializing and not paying close enough attention.

That person is always me. Lol.
The following user(s) said Thank You: birdman37, WadeMonnig

More
12 Aug 2022 16:32 #334999 by Virabhadra

ubarose wrote: It’s easy to teach, and people just get it. It’s not about weird, nerd shit. It’s an engaging puzzle, but not so absorbing that you can’t socialize while playing.

This is a real niche, and Sagrada fills it perfectly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, WadeMonnig

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.331 seconds