October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Godtear Beats the Odds - Review

More
25 Aug 2022 16:24 #335240 by BillyBobThwarton
Decided to check this one out. Reading the rules I am a little confused on points from the flag being on the tear…. If I mix the factions, do I claim a primary one and get 5 points for that one but just 4 for the others?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2022 18:35 #335241 by Michael Barnes
Each champion has a banner (except for Helena, who IS the banner). If your champion is next to an objective hex (Godtear) in the Plot phase you can drop it for +1 bump in your favor on the ladder, +2 if it’s a Shaper champion. Over the course of the turn. Enemy champions can knock your banner down so you might have to protect it. At the end of the turn, each is 4 and you -total- the banner points for your whole side. So if you have all three still standing, that’s 12 points. You compare and the difference is the ladder shift.. So if I have 2 banners standing and you have 1, that’s a 4 step shift in my favor. We are at the point where banners are just squished at every opportunity so we’ll rarely see either side get more than 4 points- and it’s usually tied. Guardians also give a +1 for their banners so they are worth 5 in the count. So if I have a guardian banner (blue) out and you have another color, that would be a 1 step shift on the ladder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
19 Oct 2022 23:03 #336293 by BillyBobThwarton
I've been meaning to try to get together with one of my cousins who moved 5 minutes away with me, and figured trying out Godtear with him was worth a shot even though he has minimal experience with games other than Chess and party fare. I opted for a matchup with us controlling two champions the first time around. He had Titus and Finvarr; I had Halftusk and Rangosh. We enjoyed our 4 rounds, and he pulled off the win placing two banners beyond my reach. With a game now under our belts, I can appreciate the potential fun of building synergy between different champions. Halftusk's frogs were probably not the best units to fool around with for my first game, and I'll probably swap him out and add 2 new champions to Rangosh for our next matchup. While each champion and their follower has a bit of depth to explore, I find the expansion design makes prep for a game seem not a big deal at all. Just 3 cards per expansion was much appreciated as are the youtube videos quickly explaining each expansion's skills. I don't know how long I'm going to tolerate the space the boxes take up. I've set aside a core box's insert and have groups of miniatures rolling around in baggies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, DarthJoJo, n815e

More
20 Oct 2022 11:06 #336296 by Michael Barnes
Yeah I still have the boxes...thing is they make setting up that much easier. Grab 3 boxes a side and go. I really wish the boxes were at least half as big though there is so much dead space in them.

As you play more you'll start to see how certain 1v1 lane matchups can really affect strategy, as well as deciding where to set up. There's really a lot of depth in the board play, it's not just all in the cards. I really love how you're just looking at 7 cards a turn- and then with the flip there is even more depth in sequencing actions and planning for that clash phase.

I've played it enough now that I think it may be a top 10 of all time game. Definitely one of the best skirmish games I've ever played, if not the best.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, DarthJoJo, n815e

More
02 Nov 2022 12:34 #336561 by Smeagol
For us backwards country folk, can you clarify is this :

God tear like gods are creating rips
or
God tear like gods are crying

More
02 Nov 2022 13:32 - 02 Nov 2022 13:32 #336565 by charlest
Tears as is crying. It's supposed to be the essence of gods falling to the world and containing great power. There's some fluff around it that's not going to be remembered after you read it.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2022 13:32 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smeagol

More
02 Nov 2022 14:42 #336568 by Michael Barnes
My friend asked "Is it Godtear like an emo band or Godtear like a metal band?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Smeagol

More
02 Nov 2022 15:20 - 02 Nov 2022 15:33 #336572 by Smeagol
I've been reading the rulebook (found on their website in resources) 'over my lunch'.

So for choosing the 3 champions are there resctrictions? I don't see any but I do notice the warbands are color coded.(edit :I see now color coded by champion type)

Is there at least a unique per side restriction (meaning you can't bring two or three copiesof the same one on the same side?)(Edit I see the champions on your side must be unique for tournaments)

I grabbed the Eternal Glade starter yesterday but didn't have time to play yet becasue Judas Priest/Queensryche was in town last night.

I really like how you can see all he champion cards on the website for researching what to buy.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2022 15:33 by Smeagol. Reason: found my own answers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds