October 09, 2023
2476 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2681 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Funkoverse vs Unmatched: Map and Mechanism Kombat

More
04 May 2023 12:20 #339205 by Smeagol
both my local stores gave up on Funkoverse games some time ago, but my selection of amazon clearance items has already arrived!

hoping my 13 year old will try it out with me. We have batman, lebron james, kool aid man, rick and morty and nightmare before christmas, the only one that cost any real money.

Should be dropping right into 3 on 3 play aftr a brief warmup game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2023 13:40 #339208 by Jackwraith
My only recommendation is to save Kool-Aid Man for a second or third game. He really functions best on specific maps and scenarios and can feel kind of directionless without those possibilities. And definitely play him in a three-person team game so he has more enemy targets for the wall-bashing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smeagol

More
04 May 2023 14:18 #339209 by Virabhadra
Is this maybe the closest thing we've seen to a Heroscape in a while? Mass market game with big crossover universe and a cult fanbase, selling off at dirt cheap prices?

How do the Harry Potter sets fare? I could probably get Des to try it again with those.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
04 May 2023 15:25 #339210 by Jackwraith
Those are all pretty straightforward. Voldemort will strike most as ungodly powerful the first turn or two, but he runs out of tokens quickly unless you set up a team to really emphasize him. Hermione and Draco might strike people as slightly underpowered, but they just take a little practice. I really like Hagrid and Ron for their support abilities and I love Bellatrix for her trickery.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Virabhadra

More
04 May 2023 17:13 #339211 by Virabhadra
I threw everything I could find into an Amazon cart, and while the total isn't eye-watering, it's in the same range as importing a copy of Warangel. Tough decisions...

By coincidence, when I checked Amazon earlier, the NIS copy of Clash of Cultures sitting in my cart had dropped to $66. That was a no-brainer.

More
04 May 2023 20:35 - 19 May 2023 22:35 #339212 by Jackwraith
Yeah, I'd focus just on the characters you want, at first. If you think Harry Potter stuff will work, then I'd pick up just the 100 set (Harry, Hermione, HeWhoShallNotBeNamed, Helena Bonham-Carter) and the 101 (Draco and Ron) and see how it works for you. That's four maps and, IIRC, four different scenarios, so you can get a taste for it without breaking the bank.
Last edit: 19 May 2023 22:35 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Virabhadra

More
09 May 2023 16:37 #339292 by cdennett
Interesting article. I had completely written off Funkoverse after playing a demo at BGG.Con a few years ago, where it devolved into a slugfest in the middle of the map. My wife and a friend played a second game from the library without me and basically told me it wasn't any better the second time. Clearly we just failed to use the teams/abilities appropriately. But I don't need another team brawler, have plenty of options that never get played as it is. Besides I already fell for that half-price Clash of Cultures on Amazon, don't need to buying any more toads this week...

And since I still have my copy of Epic Duels, Unmatched (with the maps I couldn't get behind) never had any strong appeal. I find it interesting that it seems the market is 1v1, when the arguably best way to play Epic Duels is 2v2 (characters at least, even if controlled by the same person). And I picked up some Star Wars paper maps at GenCon years ago that work amazing for Epic Duels, especially if you want a big battle with bigger teams. Need to recruit some folks for a battle royal now...life goals.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Jackwraith

More
19 May 2023 13:14 - 19 May 2023 13:15 #339378 by Smeagol
Got this to the table with my 21 year old daughter who just got back from college. (She's played a lot of games with me over the years and is a bit into comics, likes the joker and The Nice House on the Lake)

We did 3 vs 3.

She had the joker, Harley Quinn with big mallet, and Black Widow. I had Captain America, Black Panther, and Batman with Batarang. we played capture the flag on the gotham map.

We only got into the two boxes even though somehow I already have a big stack of this.

We both enjoyed the game, and felt like we could play a lot smarter next time. We both felt like the characters didn't do much at first glance, but soon enough we had an appreciation for each persons powers and how they can be abused if used properly. We also liked the scoring and cooldown mechanics. I often wanted to throw Caps Shield but had used all the correct colored tokens to activate Black Panthers abiliies.

I was hating the Joker's exploding presents by the end of the game.

I liked almost every aspect of it better than Unmatched. the bits and pieces of this game are very nice, and the models are a little bit silly and FUNKO-Y (obviously) but better than those drab tiny unmatched minis.

We're looking forward to playing with teams we spend a few more minutes building. We have nightmare before xmas, universal monsters, marvel, DC, squid game, lebron james, Kool aid man, and rick and morty. All on clearance or bought used off a local gamer.
Last edit: 19 May 2023 13:15 by Smeagol. Reason: spelling like always
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Jackwraith, sornars, DarthJoJo

More
19 May 2023 14:31 #339379 by Cappster_
You know, I could look but I though that I would has the hive mind -

I understand that Funko is played 1v1 with teams of 3 - and If I recall, if you're playing four players, you split the team of 3.

Is it possible to field 4 teams of 3, and play 2v2 or FFA? Are the maps big enough? or would this be the limiting factor?

More
19 May 2023 21:45 #339380 by Jackwraith
Three sets have 4-player maps/scenarios: Nightmare Before Christmas (Triumph and Infiltrate), Game of Thrones (same scenarios), Marvel (Triumph and Scrimmage.) We often play teams of 2 on the 4-player maps, but teams of 3 should be fine, as well.

I can't say for sure that the 2-team maps would work trying to divide them into 4-team maps. Certainly, some are too small for that, but it might be feasible on the larger ones. I've never tried.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
22 May 2023 14:25 #339407 by Smeagol
We played a regular 1 v1 scenario with 2 teams of 2 characters each last night and it worked fine, but thank you for the 4 player scenario info.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds