October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Pax Pamir 2nd Edition

More
19 Jun 2019 23:02 #298658 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Re: Phil Eklund's Pax Pamir
Happy for a Ren game too, if there is one going.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2019 02:03 - 20 Jun 2019 02:04 #298663 by Gary Sax
Set the game up and poked around at it. Had one of those games where the tableau suggested the obvious move was a single faction for both players (British) so it was a cutthroat race to get ahead within that faction for first dominance. Fun. The economy in the game is extremely tight, as far as I can tell there's no money permanently added into the game ever besides what players start with! Unlike Ren, which dumps money into the game through add money until players run trade routes... trying to remember if that's a closed economy but I don't think it was.

I think the scoring in this game is a bit mindbending, in true Pax style, but this time it has that twist of factions and being the winning/2nd/3rd person within the same winning faction or just playing to max your board with the most pieces.

I'll set up a Ren VASSAL game for the three of us, I'd like to get back to it, love that game. I think I have both y'all's emails. I know I have NotSure's.
Last edit: 20 Jun 2019 02:04 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, mezike, mc

More
20 Jun 2019 02:58 #298665 by mezike
Replied by mezike on topic Re: Phil Eklund's Pax Pamir
I'd love to hear more about this new edition of Pax Pamir. I pulled out from the KS at the last minute because it was going to cost too much to get a copy of a game that I would struggle to get played and I don't have a need for a sixty quid shelf ornament. It does however look amazing both in terms of presentation and gameplay.

More
20 Jun 2019 08:44 #298673 by charlest

Gary Sax wrote: The economy in the game is extremely tight, as far as I can tell there's no money permanently added into the game ever besides what players start with!

There's a single event card to watch out for which adds money. It's a doozy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

More
20 Jun 2019 12:24 #298688 by Gary Sax
Can you guys clarify in your own words where the money goes when you spend money as part of an action (e.g. the gem action, the build action). It goes on the right side of the offer tableau, but I am confused as hell because of the word.

Say I spend 6 rupees on a gift action. Where do those six rupees go on the right side?

More
20 Jun 2019 12:26 #298689 by Count Orlok
I was to pick this up, but will be away from home for a large chunk of July so I didn't preorder it. Any ideas what the best way to get a copy? I worry that if I wait too long the availability will drop.

More
20 Jun 2019 12:28 - 20 Jun 2019 12:35 #298690 by Gary Sax
edit: iirc, Count, supposedly copies are still up on a backerkit for a few more days: pax-pamir-second-edition.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders/177018

Then they go on I think their website to sell the ones that are left. I know Wehrle said that there are a few sets of metal coins too, but they're limited. I didn't bother with the metal coins though they do look very cool.

mezike wrote: I'd love to hear more about this new edition of Pax Pamir. I pulled out from the KS at the last minute because it was going to cost too much to get a copy of a game that I would struggle to get played and I don't have a need for a sixty quid shelf ornament. It does however look amazing both in terms of presentation and gameplay.

I'll definitely talk about it if/when I get some plays in, my thoughts on this one are pure BS right now. My instagram has more comments on Pax scoring more generally and the components:
Last edit: 20 Jun 2019 12:35 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
20 Jun 2019 12:43 #298694 by lj1983
Replied by lj1983 on topic Re: Phil Eklund's Pax Pamir

Gary Sax wrote: Can you guys clarify in your own words where the money goes when you spend money as part of an action (e.g. the gem action, the build action). It goes on the right side of the offer tableau, but I am confused as hell because of the word.

Say I spend 6 rupees on a gift action. Where do those six rupees go on the right side?

yet to play, but from rules and watching:

all costs should be even numbers. those 6 rupees will be paid to the 3 columns of cards from right to left. So, top & bottom of columns 6,5,4 would each get a coin.

More
20 Jun 2019 12:47 #298695 by Gary Sax
Awesome, thank you, that makes sense.

More
21 Jun 2019 15:41 - 21 Jun 2019 15:41 #298756 by Gary Sax
Played another solo game of this, this time got the way money was circulated back in the system right wrt spends for actions.

2p this game can be brutal. Depending on the tableau, you can put your fucking *foot* down on people in terms of constraining their access to one or more of the resources. In particular, if you aren't smart and thinking ahead, you can be stuck without a taxation card in your tableau and an opponent who is just doing actions, building armies, and putting all that money on the far right side of the board that you can't get to.

I'm slightly torn about the way that you can directly attack tribe pieces when there's an army host sitting there in front of it. I get it, it'd be too much to have to get rid of all the armies before you got to the tribes given how fast armies regenerate... but it does mean that all of your tribes (and therefore political cards) are super vulnerable to just getting battled out.
Last edit: 21 Jun 2019 15:41 by Gary Sax.

More
21 Jun 2019 16:18 #298759 by lj1983
Replied by lj1983 on topic Re: Phil Eklund's Pax Pamir
that fragility to the tribes stuck out to me also. Again, not played, my copy should be here next week.

I remember reading somewhere that at one point the armies protected the tribes, but that probably made things too static.

I guess it would encourage people push enemy coalition blocks out of 'your' territories.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
21 Jun 2019 16:22 #298760 by Gary Sax
You need to be *scrupulous* about doing so if you want to keep anything. But with 3+ players, I can't see how you can keep your tribes on the board if more than one person wants them off.

btw, I do think it's working as designed and feel balanced so far, it's just I'm used to playing Renaissance where I find cards and game state a tad more stable.

More
21 Jun 2019 16:31 - 21 Jun 2019 16:31 #298761 by charlest
What's interesting is that you don't really need tribes to win (that's merely one of the avenues). You can totally focus on spies/gifts to get your discs off and help gain VP, depending on how dominance shakes out.

Since the Overthrow rule only affects Political (purple) cards, that's kind of irrelevant as well in this instance.
Last edit: 21 Jun 2019 16:31 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, lj1983

More
21 Jun 2019 16:41 - 21 Jun 2019 16:51 #298762 by Gary Sax
Haven't even thought about that, that's a great point charles. I think it's very easy to overstate the importance of board position when the game is really telling you that assassinating people and investing in foreign powers is just as effective. I know in these solo games I've been jockeying for board position with tribes and armies to try to go 4+ up. But really, since it's so fucking hard to go 4+ up, you might as well just prepare to have the most discs on the board.

Boy, I tell you, these first three Pax games have depths and depths. I got carried away and wrote about the huge contrast between Ren and Pamir economic systems:

Last edit: 21 Jun 2019 16:51 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, lj1983, mezike, mc

More
21 Jun 2019 17:42 #298765 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic Re: Phil Eklund's Pax Pamir
mines coming tomorrow. i have the afternoon penciled in for learning and playing this game (solo). i am excited.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds