October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Fury of Dracula 3rd Edition

More
02 Dec 2015 13:38 #216397 by Cranberries

San Il Defanso wrote:
Some of the new artwork is really tacky. Second Edition had a more impressionistic and atmospheric approach. This new edition looks way pulpy and generally less ambiguous, and I'm not much into the changes.

I think I just strained something rolling my eyes.

I think the art in most boardgames is kind of tacky, but apparently that is a minority position.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2019 21:47 #299343 by Shellhead
Last night, I got to play Fury of Dracula 3rd edition for the first time. I know that the conventional wisdom is that 3rd is better than 2nd in many respects, but I notice that people rarely talk about playing 3rd any more. Or 2nd, for that matter, but 3rd was a relatively recent publication compared to 2nd. Anyway, I found 3rd to be a mixed bag compared to 2nd, though I have only played 3rd once and I have played 2nd many times.

3rd edition has more components, which is not necessarily good or bad. The old encounter tokens have been replaced by cards, so there is no need for a draw bag/cup or frequent reference to the rulebook. The item and event cards now have some art that looks okay. The overall design is extremely drab, but I do like the backs of the new event and item cards. The minis appear to have identical sculpts to 2nd edition, but the characters have new art, so it isn't obvious to a new player which mini represents which character, aside from Mina and Dracula.

The ticket tokens seem like an appeal to the stuffy euro crowd that hates dice (and fun), and seem like an unwelcome replacement to the train die because characters now need to spend additional actions acquiring ticket tokens before moving via train. Combat might be better in 3rd edition, but again there was a deliberate move to eliminate dice.

One of my hosts played Dracula, while his wife played Mina and Van Helsing. I played Lord Godalming and Dr. Seward. Despite various differences between the two editions, I adapted quickly enough and managed to contain Dracula strictly to France and Spain for most of the game. Late in the game, Dracula fled to Ireland, but we successfully intercepted him there, and he was getting brutalized by the new and higher cost of taking Dracula to sea. In addition, we has some ally named Rufus who made sea travel even more painful for Dracula. So after a brief and disappointing trip to Ireland, Dracula returned to France and abruptly met his death in battle with Van Helsing. It was a close and exciting game, featuring five fights with Dracula. For his part, Dracula managed to hatch a couple of vamps and nearly won before we got him.

Overall, I would say that both 2nd and 3rd editions of Fury of Dracula are good games. Not different enough to justify owning both editions, but good enough to play whichever one is available.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct, Frohike, Vysetron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds