October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Fury of Dracula 3rd Edition

More
24 Jul 2015 19:10 #206990 by ChristopherMD
How do I thank a post twice?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2015 19:13 #206991 by Michael Barnes
Wow, then it makes absolutely no sense that you had a problem with F:AT showing support for an issue that directly affects people close to you and that you care about.

"Insufferable hypocrisy and unearned sense of superiority"...amazing! I'm going to add that one to "violent redneck", "doesn't add anything of value" and "pickled ham eater", the epithets I've collected over the years. Good stuff!

Do let me know when you're done trying to lock horns with me, would you? I mean, we know you have big giant balls already. Most folks here would much rather talk about games- and see honest, unfiltered opinions about the hobby- than see you crap all over a thread by trying to get into a battle with me.

More
24 Jul 2015 19:13 #206992 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Fury of Dracula 3rd Edition
You see Mad Dog, that's how you show you're not really a bad fellow after making a lame gay bashing joke. You thank a rainbow flag twice. It was all in good fun....right?

More
24 Jul 2015 19:16 #206994 by ChristopherMD

Michael Barnes wrote: Most folks here would much rather talk about games

Quoted for truth and irony.

More
24 Jul 2015 23:57 - 24 Jul 2015 23:58 #207013 by SebastianBludd
Back OT: I kind of like the new board. The whole thing has a reddish hue - which is accentuated by the red roads - that makes it look lurid and blood-soaked like something out of a Hammer film. I understand someone preferring the 2nd Ed. board but I don't think it's clearly better than the new one.

To be honest, the 2nd Ed. box art is a hot mess, too, it's just that Dracula is small so it's easy to overlook how crappy he looks. Plus the whole look is kind of muddy and indistinct from any distance greater than a couple feet away. I actually think the new box is an improvement... except for Dracula's head (Liberace by way of Pee Wee Herman) and hands (Deep Ones). I like the shade of green they picked and the bats are clever, but yeesh that face, it dominates the picture and overpowers everything else.

As for the combat, I didn't read anything that indicated it would be a significant departure from the 2nd Ed. card-based combat. I don't know if the 6 round limit they mentioned is a new rule but otherwise it sounds the same.
Last edit: 24 Jul 2015 23:58 by SebastianBludd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
25 Jul 2015 01:11 #207014 by Dr. Mabuse
I'm looking forward to 3rd ed. I love the shit out of 2nd so I'm very curious about the new one.

The new character portraits are fantastic and I love the logo.

2nd ed's combat is very fun and tension filled, I hope the new one doesn't streamline those two elements out.

More
25 Jul 2015 06:38 #207026 by southernman

SebastianBludd wrote: Back OT: I kind of like the new board. The whole thing has a reddish hue - which is accentuated by the red roads - that makes it look lurid and blood-soaked like something out of a Hammer film. I understand someone preferring the 2nd Ed. board but I don't think it's clearly better than the new one.

To be honest, the 2nd Ed. box art is a hot mess, too, it's just that Dracula is small so it's easy to overlook how crappy he looks. Plus the whole look is kind of muddy and indistinct from any distance greater than a couple feet away. I actually think the new box is an improvement... except for Dracula's head (Liberace by way of Pee Wee Herman) and hands (Deep Ones). I like the shade of green they picked and the bats are clever, but yeesh that face, it dominates the picture and overpowers everything else.

To each their own taste ... but in this case sucks to have your taste.

As for the combat, I didn't read anything that indicated it would be a significant departure from the 2nd Ed. card-based combat. I don't know if the 6 round limit they mentioned is a new rule but otherwise it sounds the same.

Then you need to read a bit more, try the combat example and card images here www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/fury-of-dracula/

More
25 Jul 2015 09:42 #207029 by Gary Sax
I went to go look at the rules differences you were talking about and accidentally saw the cover art again and barfed in my mouth a little.

More
25 Jul 2015 10:22 #207032 by ThirstyMan

Gary Sax wrote: I went to go look at the rules differences you were talking about and accidentally saw the cover art again and barfed in my mouth a little.

I did that but I was drinking computer cleaner at the time, does that count?

More
25 Jul 2015 11:47 #207034 by Tim Champlin
I've been wanting to get into this game for a little while. I'm sure it's been mentioned, but is there a release date for it yet?

More
26 Jul 2015 01:46 #207062 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Fury of Dracula 3rd Edition

Tim Champlin wrote: I've been wanting to get into this game for a little while. I'm sure it's been mentioned, but is there a release date for it yet?

Q4 of 2015

I read the description of the new night/day rules for the hunters and it seems like it isn't a big change. It sounds like each hunter gets one day action and then each gets one night action. Movement can only be performed as a day action, so the difference boils down to that if a hunter chooses not to move on his turn he can heal twice, or resupply twice, or heal & resupply. It also says something about it being more perilous to resupply at night.

More
26 Jul 2015 09:51 #207068 by wadenels

Mr. White wrote: Looks like the minis might be the same. However, this may be a good time to drop this idea again...
fortressat.com/forum/34-pimp-my-game/457...acula?start=30#49310

I used this idea for my GW edition FoD. But I bought cheapo colored wooden chess pieces. I'd still like to do the weathering/stained look but haven't gotten around to it.

Either way, it's a fantastic idea.

More
27 Jul 2015 08:21 - 27 Jul 2015 08:22 #207105 by Matt Thrower

hotseatgames wrote: So if you don't have any nostalgia for this or any other hidden movement game, is this the best of the bunch or has Spectre Ops claimed the throne?

Way too early to tell. Spectre Ops is hidden movement stripped down to its bare essentials. The result is refreshing and plays brilliantly, but I suspect its simplicity may count against it in the long run. Both editions of Fury of Dracula tell a story in a way that a simpler game never could.

Michael Barnes wrote: The original version had a couple of minor issues (and the whole "cheating Dracula" thing was possible), the FFG edition kind of gummed it up in an attempt to add more...FFG-ness.

I never quite understood this complaint. If your Dracula player is cheating then you have a serious problem with your players, not with the game itself.
Last edit: 27 Jul 2015 08:22 by Matt Thrower.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433

More
27 Jul 2015 10:44 #207125 by Jackwraith
If they have added some unnecessary new chrome to this edition, I totally want to be the "pickled ham eating violent redneck" hunter...

More
31 Jul 2015 13:49 #207586 by Egg Shen
Everything about this new edition seems pretty good...except that damn box art. When you look at the actual in game art and overall graphic design it is even more baffling.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.912 seconds