October 09, 2023
2426 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2634 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Fury of Dracula 3rd Edition

More
31 Jul 2015 15:18 #207608 by Almalik
Replied by Almalik on topic Fury of Dracula 3rd Edition
But do the minis come shittily painted? Oh wait that's just my copy :/ .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2015 15:46 #207612 by Ska_baron
So we saw the two graphic designers behind the game in the video. My money's on blaming the John C. Reilly look-alike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken B.

More
31 Jul 2015 15:48 #207614 by Black Barney
when you hire Dr. Steven Brule you get what you pay for
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen

More
31 Jul 2015 16:02 #207616 by Josh Look
There's a blurred out image behind one of the dudes, clearly for a box lid. It's entirely possible that they're re-doing it. This video is very recent, the graphic designer who doesn't look like Dewy Cox has a Transformer (Combiner Wars Devastator) that has only come out in the last couple weeks or so (which I'm super jealous of, btw).

Also, after watching this and the Runebound video, I've come to the conclusion that there's got to be a small carbon monoxide leak at FFG. These have to be the least excited people on the planet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
31 Jul 2015 16:18 - 31 Jul 2015 16:22 #207623 by Sagrilarus

Josh Look wrote: There's a blurred out image behind one of the dudes, clearly for a box lid. It's entirely possible that they're re-doing it.

Or redid it. That image might be the old cover that no one liked because it looked too much like Ben Affleck.

I can't help but think that the minute someone read "Liberace" on the web they said, "damn, I knew he looked familiar. How come none of us noticed that before we published?"
Last edit: 31 Jul 2015 16:22 by Sagrilarus.

More
31 Jul 2015 16:38 #207627 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Fury of Dracula 3rd Edition
At the 1:11 mark, Frank Brooks makes a "duck face". That's it. I can't take this game seriously.

Also what is the dude who make the board talking about. He looked at a bunch of maps...historical and modern and put the cities in the actual locations of cities? Am I missing something? The map portion, outside of changing the awesome sepia tone of the 2nd edition map to some gawd awful multicolored hue looks exactly the same. And while I'm on it? What game purpose does it serve or will it serve to have France, Germany and Italy different colors? The only border the makes a damn bit of difference is the Eastern/Western Europe boundary.

More
31 Jul 2015 16:54 #207634 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Fury of Dracula 3rd Edition

repoman wrote: At the 1:11 mark, Frank Brooks makes a "duck face". That's it. I can't take this game seriously.

Also what is the dude who make the board talking about. He looked at a bunch of maps...historical and modern and put the cities in the actual locations of cities? Am I missing something? The map portion, outside of changing the awesome sepia tone of the 2nd edition map to some gawd awful multicolored hue looks exactly the same. And while I'm on it? What game purpose does it serve or will it serve to have France, Germany and Italy different colors? The only border the makes a damn bit of difference is the Eastern/Western Europe boundary.

I think Mina's ability now pertains to revealing if Dracula is in her same "region" or not. Doubtless there will be a few other cards that care (or maybe the new rail system, that's been redone too? To eliminate dice? Ack, man, what the hell is going on with all the purging of dice)

More
31 Jul 2015 16:57 #207637 by Space Ghost
I thought 2nd Edition was damn near perfect -- this looks....*slowly adjusts monocle* .... uninspired. The map changes, purging of die, etc. leave me a little sad and empty on the inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
01 Aug 2015 02:00 #207658 by Mr. White

repoman wrote: Am I missing something? The map portion, outside of changing the awesome sepia tone of the 2nd edition map to some gawd awful multicolored hue looks exactly the same.

It looks like the water territories are different.

More
01 Aug 2015 05:41 #207659 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Fury of Dracula 3rd Edition
I was looking at those too. It looks, without me directly comparing, that some names, specifically Bay of Biscay, have been changed for whatever reason. Maybe they felt the knuckle dragging mouth breathers would be able to locate North Atlantic easier.

More
22 Oct 2015 18:57 #213122 by ChristopherMD
www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/...r-of-life-and-death/

Was reading the article on the new combat (diceless rps) and this section bothered me.

Now, more than at any other time in tabletop history, it is likely that when players take a game to the table, there will be one or more players that have never played the game before. So it has been a goal of ours to make games more accessible and create situations where a brand new player can compete on some level with an expert player. The expert player will still have more knowledge of the best strategies and all the possible interactions in the game, but the new player will have enough of an understanding to make informed decisions. With this mindset, we created what was essentially a complex version of Rock, Paper, Scissors to give the hunter players more knowledge of what their actions will do. I removed the dice entirely. I feel that, because you don’t know what your card opponent is going to pick, there is enough that is random and unknown.

The main thing that stuck out to me is wondering if this guy has ever played the game. Because its semi-cooperative and a single new player would most likely be working with the team of hunters.

More
22 Oct 2015 19:10 #213126 by Michael Barnes
With this mindset, we created what was essentially a complex version of Rock, Paper, Scissors to give the hunter players more knowledge of what their actions will do.

WE ARE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS HERE PEOPLE
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, wadenels, Erik Twice

More
22 Oct 2015 20:57 #213137 by Gary Sax
They are totally right but it sucks so bad that that is where we're at. Man, I need to move to a city with F:ATties in it and just play like 4 games constantly every year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
22 Oct 2015 21:13 #213138 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, that is really sad...it's almost like saying "we are designing this game to be played once."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
22 Oct 2015 21:24 - 22 Oct 2015 21:26 #213139 by wadenels
They have the box and some components on display in a glass case at the FFG Center. The components look pretty sharp. The box cover gives off such a Cousin Kevin / Fiddle About vibe.

I hope it's good. Whether you dig FFG's design philosophy or not you have to admit they've built some great systems and put out some great games. I just really hope this game is good. I don't want a re-imagined Games Workshop title to be the joke of the product line. That could happen in the Terrinoth setting and I wouldn't give a shit, but I don't want them to screw up the GW license.

EDIT: RPS mechanics need to stop. Just stop it. Stop doing that. It screams yes-man playtesting and makes the entire product suspect.
Last edit: 22 Oct 2015 21:26 by wadenels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds