October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Fury of Dracula 3rd Edition

More
22 Oct 2015 21:42 - 22 Oct 2015 21:45 #213141 by Sagrilarus
You can all join me in the old-games-are-better club anytime you like.
Last edit: 22 Oct 2015 21:45 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Frohike, stoic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2015 00:57 #213158 by Mr. White
I'm not sure it's that new games aren't good...there's just too damn many. Game purchasing and collecting is easier than game playing and for many seems to be how they interact with the hobby. It's up to the individual to decide how fulfilling constant game buying is. For me it wasn't. I stopped buying and the problem went away.

Gary Sax, move to austin and join our Blood Bowl league. We have a spot with metalface's departure.

I also constantly run TITAN games on ACTS if interested.

TITAN, BB, and a little Dreadball. I focus on three games. Will that work for ya?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, OldHippy, Frohike, stoic

More
23 Oct 2015 01:25 #213161 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Fury of Dracula 3rd Edition

wadenels wrote: EDIT: RPS mechanics need to stop. Just stop it. Stop doing that. It screams yes-man playtesting and makes the entire product suspect.

Apparently it's RPS or Pogs. Pick your poison.

More
23 Oct 2015 10:00 #213176 by san il defanso
I do think there's room to streamline the combat a little, and eliminating the die roll is an interesting place to start. I've played with a lot of people who had a hard time grokking the combat. It's a shame that people aren't more willing to do the work to learn a game, but in Fury of Dracula the combat isn't really the focus anyway. I'm more curious about how the day/night cycle works in practice in the new edition.

Some of the new artwork is really tacky. Second Edition had a more impressionistic and atmospheric approach. This new edition looks way pulpy and generally less ambiguous, and I'm not much into the changes.

I think I just strained something rolling my eyes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

More
23 Oct 2015 10:17 #213177 by hotseatgames
Everyone knows that vampires have glass jaws.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, san il defanso

More
23 Oct 2015 10:52 #213186 by Sagrilarus
Her hips are squared backwards. That's a jab, and a girl-jab at that. Ain't knocking the lord of the undead over with that.

Pro-tip for Buffy wannabees -- put down the lantern first, or throw it at him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, stoic

More
23 Oct 2015 11:01 #213189 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Fury of Dracula 3rd Edition
I'll against the grain here. I'm excited about the new combat, the description is a mirror image of my game situation right now...Player rotating and a game getting just a handful of plays. My realization is that I prefer it that way, I like variety, I celebrate game diversity. If I wanted something different I'd seek it out...So streamlining combat is something that excites me because it gives the game more of a Pull-And-Play quality which is what I'm focusing my shelves more towards.

More
23 Oct 2015 11:10 #213191 by Sagrilarus
I think this indicates that there's going to be two very different versions of the game from FFG. 2nd edition is very much a gamer's game, this new one appears much more accessible. I don' have a problem with them simplifying the combat system, but the remainder of the game has a longer learning curve too. Chances are that's all getting a review as well.

I have a 2nd edition so they can do what they want with this one. "New" players in 2nd have teammates so spin-up isn't as big a problem as it is in other titles.

S.

More
23 Oct 2015 11:10 #213192 by Shellhead
I am a big fan of the previous FFG edition, but I have to admit that combat was a weak point. Picking the right card and then failing the die roll is very annoying for most players. New players tend to really struggle to grasp how to interpret the combat results, and most people overlook the significance of the italics that signify that your equipment was destroyed or used up. And then when people catch on that it's essentially RPS, they feel slightly cheated as though combat should either be simpler (just normal RPS) or altogether different. If this edition successfully improves combat, I might be willing to give it a chance.

Looking at the board, it appears that some players complained about the symbolic clock of the previous edition. So the new clock looks to be alternating night and day cycles, which may be easier to grasp but takes a strategic element and reduces it to more of a tactical factor.

More
23 Oct 2015 11:15 #213194 by Sagrilarus
By the way, is it me, or does Rock-Paper-Scissors get a pass in the "too much luck" debate? The chin scratchers seem to think it's all about skill, about reading your opponent.

More
23 Oct 2015 11:19 #213195 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Fury of Dracula 3rd Edition
It gets a pass because it's not dice. You get a decision therefore it is greater.

More
23 Oct 2015 11:34 #213197 by Shellhead

sagrilarus wrote: By the way, is it me, or does Rock-Paper-Scissors get a pass in the "too much luck" debate? The chin scratchers seem to think it's all about skill, about reading your opponent.

I did a bunch of RPS when I played in vampire larps more than a decade ago. RPS isn't just luck, and there are good and bad aspects about it as a mechanic.

A first-time throw of RPS against an unfamiliar opponent is effectively random. Subsequent throws against the same person, especially in rapid succession, can take on a more psychological dimension. People often display patterns, like opening with rock or throwing whatever would have beat their opponent's previous throw. A player can learn to recognize and play against his opponent's patterns, or consciously change up his own patterns, or even read his opponent's expression or body language.

The bad part about RPS is that there are a lot of ties. About 1/3 of the time. This isn't so bad in a game like FoD, but it becomes a huge hassle in a larp where many special abilities seem to involve do-overs of RPS and there could be a mass combat scene involving two dozen people playing RPS every round of the fight. such a fight scene might take two hours to resolve, and all the non-participants need to either avoid the area or else get trapped as a captive audience.

More
23 Oct 2015 13:52 #213219 by Gary Sax
That picture... simultaneously completely idiotic and pure ameritrash.

More
01 Dec 2015 14:22 #216288 by BoardGameKing
Cool Edition! I played it and wrote about it in my blog. If you are interested, please read here - www.boardgameking.com/reviews/fury-of-dracula-third-edition/

More
01 Dec 2015 15:03 #216296 by OldHippy

sagrilarus wrote: Her hips are squared backwards. That's a jab, and a girl-jab at that. Ain't knocking the lord of the undead over with that.

yeah, but he really loves her, so it hurts more than a normal punch would.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.501 seconds