October 09, 2023
2476 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2682 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Betrayal Legacy

More
25 Apr 2018 23:15 - 21 Jun 2019 14:18 #271706 by ubarose
Betrayal Legacy was created by ubarose

Betrayal Legacy takes the concept of the original betrayal game, exploring a haunted mansion, and adds permanent changes and a multi-game story arc that define the Legacy concept. At Pax Unplugged it was announced that the new game will feature a prologue and a thirteen-chapter story that will take place over multiple decades. Players will represent members of a specific family, with some characters aging within the story arc and possible family descendants making appearances.

Read more...
Last edit: 21 Jun 2019 14:18 by ubarose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2018 23:54 #271721 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Betrayal Legacy
This actually sounds a lot better than playing 13 more games of regular Betrayal at House on the Hill over the next 6 years or so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Frohike

More
26 Apr 2018 04:19 #271806 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Betrayal Legacy
Really don't know what to make of this. Suspect it's either going to be absolutely brilliant or terrible.

More
26 Apr 2018 08:28 #271875 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Betrayal Legacy
I hate that all these Legacy games came out as my AT-orientated gaming group drastically dropped in numbers and most other gamers in my town (that I've found) are predominantly euro gamers - well enough that I would not be able to even get a legacy game going for more than a few plays. I still have Risk Legacy bought 4-5 years ago and (optimistically) got Seafall on sale this year but the most people I am ever going to semi-regularly get to play them is three and I'm not going to waste it on that, I'll probably keep 'em for a few more years in hope then sell on to someone who can play them ... and after saying all that it is probably short odds that I buy this if it hits the UK at a decent price, and I'd like to temper what Matt said with I hope after a few goes at this Rob will have this Gen-3 version humming.

More
26 Apr 2018 09:21 #271881 by iguanaDitty
Replied by iguanaDitty on topic Betrayal Legacy
I cannot wait.

More
26 Apr 2018 14:48 #271943 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic Betrayal Legacy

MattDP wrote: Really don't know what to make of this. Suspect it's either going to be absolutely brilliant or terrible.

If it's anything like the current Betrayal games, half of it will be brilliant while half of it is terrible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Gregarius

More
21 Jun 2019 14:17 #298751 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Betrayal Legacy
We played the second scenario of our Betrayal Legacy 5-player campaign last night. We are really digging it.

The two games we have played so far have taken only about an hour each, including set up, and have swiftly gotten to the haunt without the sometimes overlong wandering around the house with no clear goals bit that the original has.

There is some kind of mystery that is being slowly revealed with little hints and clues, which makes you want to play the next scenario as soon as you have finished the last. But we are pacing ourselves, so we won't get to find out what gets revealed in the next chapter until next week.

There's also a little metagame developing among our players along the lines of:

"Why are you attacking me and not her?"
"Because you drowned my mother last game."
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
21 Jun 2019 15:41 #298757 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Betrayal Legacy
I really want to play this, but I keep hoping that one of my friends will buy it. Maybe I need to take the hit for the team.

More
21 Jun 2019 15:51 #298758 by ubarose
If you wait a few more weeks, can give you an opinion after I've played a few more games. The first two games seem to be introductory/tutorial. At least I hope they are.

More
22 Jun 2019 07:56 #298769 by drewcula
Replied by drewcula on topic Betrayal Legacy
I'm happy to hear some group is enjoying it. My group is scheduled for scenarios/chapters 4 & 5 next weekend. So far, we're all pretty "meh." Unless we have a total turn around in the next two games, we've agreed to let it go. I'll post back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
22 Jun 2019 12:01 #298772 by ubarose
@drewcula

That's disappointing. I assumed that the first two scenarios were tutorials as they introduced all the basic rules of the game kind of piecemeal, and they were rather simple and inconsequential. I was expecting it to ramp up quickly now that all the rules have been introduced.

More
22 Jun 2019 13:29 #298773 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Betrayal Legacy
So far I’m enjoying much more than I thought I would. The introductory nature and slow introduction of mechanics doesn’t bother me because a) it’s just Betrayal At House on the Hill and b) it’s way better than most games of Betrayal At House on the Hill. I think it’s for the best (in my limited exposure to them) that Legacy games remain simple. More simple games means less room for error and less chance of doing irreparable damage to the experience.

I was squarely against the idea of Legacy games, and I still kind of am, but that first scenario really justified it.

More
25 Jun 2019 08:25 #298830 by drewcula
Replied by drewcula on topic Betrayal Legacy
My group sped up their schedule, and we played last night.
For our last time.
After wrapping the fifth game, we unanimously agreed to stop the legacy.
There are dozens of other games we'd rather pursue, from either one-shot sessions or campaign play.
I can't contribute much without spoilers, and I don't want to be a wet blanket. As always, your 'mileage may vary.'

Personally, I'm bummed. I adore haunted houses across all media; books, movies, television, and amusement parks. Board games? I guess not. OG Betrayal is still a hit with the college freshmen at work, but I've grown distant on it. Great concept, mediocre execution. At the end of the day, Betrayal Legacy has fallen into the same pattern.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, lj1983

More
25 Jun 2019 10:14 #298835 by Jarvis
Replied by Jarvis on topic Betrayal Legacy
Yeah sounds if you soured on original Betrayal then you weren’t going to enjoy this. This is the best version of Betrayal, but at its heart it’s still Betrayal.

This has been my friends group game of the year so far. To the point where they’ve gotten their other friends to start up their own campaigns of it. We are all more casual gamers though.

I loved Betrayal Legacy myself. I played the full campaign and enjoyed the hell out of it. I realize it has flaws, but they weren’t big deals to me. We totally had meta gaming too with the heirloom items and what various families did you you in previous games too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
25 Jun 2019 10:24 #298837 by ubarose
@Jarvis

Thank you. I hope it turns out the same way for us. We do like original Betrayal, other than the crap shoot of sometimes getting a broken haunt. Seems like your group plays the same way we do, so it sounds like we have a good chance of this being great fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jarvis

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.636 seconds