October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Wreck and Ruin

More
01 Jun 2018 10:10 #274445 by Matt Thrower
Wreck and Ruin was created by Matt Thrower

Dominate the Wastes by commanding one of 4 factions, using a range of post-apocalyptic vehicles and unique abilities to outmaneuver and outgun your opponents. Tactically use your limited actions to grab your own objectives whilst simultaneously preventing other players from scoring - shoot, ram, and wreck your way to victory!

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2018 14:22 #274446 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Wreck and Ruin

There is no pledge manager, no deal to get into retail at the moment - get it here or risk missing out! Any surplus from the print run will be sold at conventions and on my site, but when they're gone they're gone! Of course I'd still be happy to speak to any retailers who are interested.

These kinds of announcements are becoming the gray noise of boardgaming. Somebody needs to find a new way to catch our attention.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
01 Jun 2018 14:43 #274447 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Wreck and Ruin
Looks like you can pay extra to have a pro painter dip paint the shitty miniatures for you.

Every single thing about this game screams “amateur”.

More
01 Jun 2018 14:52 #274449 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Wreck and Ruin
If we're not going to review Kickstarter only titles because we don't want to promote Kickstarter only games, perhaps these promotions don't belong either.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, ufe20

More
01 Jun 2018 14:52 #274450 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Wreck and Ruin

Michael Barnes wrote: Every single thing about this game screams “amateur”.

But I thought that is the whole reason for Kickstarter. To allow amateurs who otherwise couldn't get published a chance to sell their works-in-progress to board game hobbyists who would otherwise only be able to purchase professionally produced and edited games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
01 Jun 2018 15:09 - 01 Jun 2018 15:10 #274451 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Wreck and Ruin
Well, we can’t act like Kickstarter doesn’t exist or ignore that it occasionally significant titles...but UK pretty sure this is the only mention of this game that will wind up on TWBG in the long run.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2018 15:10 by Michael Barnes.

More
01 Jun 2018 15:11 - 01 Jun 2018 15:21 #274452 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Wreck and Ruin

ChristopherMD wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: Every single thing about this game screams “amateur”.

But I thought that is the whole reason for Kickstarter. To allow amateurs who otherwise couldn't get published a chance to sell their works-in-progress to board game hobbyists who would otherwise only be able to purchase professionally produced and edited games.

That may have been the case in 2012, but now it's a promotions platform for established companies. I wish it still was more like its original business model. It would be more fun to shop on it.

As it stands amateurs can still start a pre-order on it and can still use the best-practices catch phrases, but their message is swallowed up in the din of other efforts by more carefully edited publishers.

I wish them well, and it looks like they'll make the cut. But Kickstarter has become like my local games store -- 375 titles to choose from, all fighting for your attention at once. Tough to get noticed.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2018 15:21 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
01 Jun 2018 15:15 #274453 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Wreck and Ruin

charlest wrote: If we're not going to review Kickstarter only titles because we don't want to promote Kickstarter only games, perhaps these promotions don't belong either.

Michael makes the rule for board game reviews. I make the rules for news items.

I believe, and Michael can correct me, that a significant part of the reasoning behind not reviewing Kickstarter only games is that reviews of games that are no longer available for our readership to purchase is a boondoggle. It also, in my opinion smacks of elitism - I got a copy of this game that you can’t get (unless you got a pile of money to throw at it). Therefore, games that are reviewed should generally be available, or will soon be available, at retail outlets, or in some cases, directly from the publishers.

A news item about a board game, no matter what the distribution method, provides a service to our readers; a topic of discussion and idle speculation; and a single hot news item brings in about 20 times more new views the first month it’s out via search than any single review item, providing visibility for the site and new eyeballs for the reviews (20% of new users arriving via search will browse to two additional pages). Plus, about 200 of those new eyeballs will return to our site within the month. So don’t be giving our news items the side eye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Not Sure, Disgustipater, charlest

More
01 Jun 2018 15:58 #274456 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Wreck and Ruin
That's good reasoning and makes sense. Ignore my musings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
01 Jun 2018 16:18 #274458 by Smeagol
Replied by Smeagol on topic Wreck and Ruin
I appreciate all news even if I think it has no chance against Gaslands!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, ChristopherMD, charlest

More
01 Jun 2018 16:57 #274466 by JMcL63
Replied by JMcL63 on topic Wreck and Ruin
It'll get funded and played. What more can you ask for? I can understand the policy of not reviewing games on retail, but news and discussion of said Kickstarters is vital to get @TWBG humming.

More
01 Jun 2018 16:58 #274467 by JMcL63
Replied by JMcL63 on topic Wreck and Ruin
"not on retail"

More
01 Jun 2018 17:31 #274472 by barrowdown
Replied by barrowdown on topic Wreck and Ruin

JMcL63 wrote: It'll get funded and played. What more can you ask for? I can understand the policy of not reviewing games on retail, but news and discussion of said Kickstarters is vital to get @TWBG humming.

Well... third time 's the charm, right?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds