October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Heroes of Terrinoth

More
21 Jun 2018 14:03 #276067 by ubarose

Heroes of Terrinoth is a cooperative card game of questing and adventure that invites you and up to three allies to take on the role of unique heroes, choosing from twelve distinct and powerful heroes, split between four archetypes—healer, warrior, mage, and scout. These archetypes are further diversified into different classes that your heroes can pursue as your power grows. Regardless of which class you embrace, you and your friends must combine your powers, leaning on one another’s strengths to survive your journeys and defeat the enemies who stand against you. Over the course of eight thrilling quests, you will face villainous foes, battle deadly creatures, and save the realm! If you have any hope of surviving the desperate task before you, you will need to forge a mighty party of adventurers. You may call upon a skilled scout to track your enemies’ movements or a warrior to make quick work of a goblin horde. A healer’s unquestionable skill in the mending arts will doubtless come in handy as your battles take their tolls, and a mage’s link to the arcane may prove invaluable when you must think on your feet. On top of their quest specialization, each hero has a unique ability that offers them an edge, and with each new quest your band plays, you will gain experience, learn new abilities, and discover equipment to help you overcome future challenges. And that's a good thing, because the threats to the realm gather strength with each passing day.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2018 04:44 #276068 by repoman
Co-op? Terrinoth? Those are two big hurdles to overcome.

I wonder if it's like Pathfinder. No way to know based on this press release but itvsure sounds like it.

More
23 Jun 2018 05:48 #276069 by san il defanso
This is a reimplementation of the Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game. I'm glad FFG is willing to give the system another try. Even though the change in setting is a downgrade, it does have more content in the box.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
23 Jun 2018 09:35 #276073 by Jackwraith
That was the really encouraging thing to me, too. I'm fine with the Terrinoth setting, since I have and enjoy all the other Rune-whatever games. But I liked that they were both reviving an interesting system from the Warhammer game and providing more content than that game originally had. I suspect that's a direct reflection of the cost of the license. Without that expense, they're able to produce more material for the game itself, which I would consider a win for the purchaser/player. Do you really think playing as a Witch Hunter or dwarf Berzerker in this kind of card game is so compelling that it's better than having more options as heroes and more adventures to play through? Personally, I'd rather have more game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, bfkiller, Colorcrayons, birdman37, GorillaGrody

More
13 Nov 2018 16:33 #286098 by Gary Sax
Yeah, I thought I read it was a reskin of the warhammer FFG card game which got reasonably good buzz around here? If so, that seems like a positive, iirc more expansion for that product would have been a nice thing but it came in right before the FFG/GW split.

More
13 Nov 2018 17:29 #286100 by GorillaGrody
I own it, and can attest to its goodness. More options and streamlined play means it’s better than the WQ version. Played it last night and really enjoyed it, though the particular quest we we played got us bogged down in monsters and monster fights.

Best dungeon crawl available, if you’re looking for something with a tiny footprint.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
13 Nov 2018 17:54 #286103 by GorillaGrody
Oh, and it’s the perfect solo game for my time restrictions and level of commitment. Simple, but with a few interesting decisions per turn.

More
13 Nov 2018 19:00 #286107 by san il defanso
This one is high on my list. I might have to have someone bring it from the states for me.

More
13 Nov 2018 19:18 #286108 by Gary Sax
It's on my watch list for sure. Almost got that Warhammer version but waited long enough that I saw it was discontinued.

More
13 Nov 2018 21:03 - 13 Nov 2018 21:11 #286112 by Vysetron
I'd need to see some gameplay or give this a try before going in on it. It reads like it's pretty mechanically solid but I'm allergic to Terrinoth.

I keep trying these small dungeon crawl-ish games in hopes that one of them works for me. I will never learn.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2018 21:11 by Vysetron.

More
13 Nov 2018 22:22 #286114 by Josh Look
I don’t think that I’m sold. I had the Warhammer one and I don’t think anything short of very serious changes could salvage it for me. The core mechanic for taking actions is really good. It’s tense and it all works.

However it’s also the kind of co-op I wish we’d finally leave behind for good. The challenge is 100% “Flip a card and bad stuff happens.” Don’t get me wrong, the order in which you take your actions and whether or not you direct your efforts to fighting monsters or progressing the quest card feels important, but that’s only because they’re things you _have_ to do in order to survive and move forward. The game ends without you doing that and co-ordinating with the other players to do the right thing at the right time. Yet as soon as you make any headway, it starts all over again with more bad stuff happening and more monsters to swarm you. The ratio of satisfaction of making headway to getting beaten down by the game leans far to much in the favor of the latter. It’s unrewarding and boring. I am so over this kind of game, I really wish we’d see some innovation when it comes where the challenge comes from in co-op games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Vysetron

More
14 Nov 2018 01:38 #286118 by Frohike
I'd settle for "flip a card and a decision happens." Between bad things? Sure. But at least give players some means of strategizing against what the game is going to throw at them and perhaps even offer different choices based on some sort of state that was unlocked through previous decisions and/or play style.

More
14 Nov 2018 07:48 - 14 Nov 2018 07:49 #286120 by GorillaGrody

Josh Look wrote: I don’t think that I’m sold. I had the Warhammer one and I don’t think anything short of very serious changes could salvage it for me. The core mechanic for taking actions is really good. It’s tense and it all works.

However it’s also the kind of co-op I wish we’d finally leave behind for good. The challenge is 100% “Flip a card and bad stuff happens.” Don’t get me wrong, the order in which you take your actions and whether or not you direct your efforts to fighting monsters or progressing the quest card feels important, but that’s only because they’re things you _have_ to do in order to survive and move forward. The game ends without you doing that and co-ordinating with the other players to do the right thing at the right time. Yet as soon as you make any headway, it starts all over again with more bad stuff happening and more monsters to swarm you. The ratio of satisfaction of making headway to getting beaten down by the game leans far to much in the favor of the latter. It’s unrewarding and boring. I am so over this kind of game, I really wish we’d see some innovation when it comes where the challenge comes from in co-op games.

The game seems to split the difference, from scenario to scenario, between the approach described above and a better approach. Like I said, we did play one scenario the other night which was an orgy of random card flipping and fighting. On the other hand, the core system tends to put new game effects in the "shadows," where their future effects can be planned for and mitigated against. In addition, the "location deck" is not a big stack of churning locations, but a few discrete, pre-chosen ones for which you can plan ahead. Some of the scenarios I've played solo seem to capitalize on a more deliberate pace of information.

In other words, it's one of those reiterated game systems where it's not easy to say that if you didn't like the former version, you wouldn't like the latter. It's just different enough to keep a person on the fence a little longer. TLDR: try it, but don't buy it just yet.
Last edit: 14 Nov 2018 07:49 by GorillaGrody.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, Frohike

More
14 Nov 2018 09:49 #286129 by Josh Look
It’s still intended to be played a campaign though, right? That makes in an automatic “never touch.”

More
14 Nov 2018 10:49 #286133 by GorillaGrody
Blessedly, there’s no campaign. Not even a hint of one. It’s great.

Not trying to hard sell you. It’s a modest game with modest goals, but it seems to work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds