October 09, 2023
2488 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2689 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

The Gothic Game 2nd Edition Announced

More
05 Jul 2018 22:53 #276958 by ubarose

The object of the game is simple... to kill every other player on the board! The original is an odd little gem from England. It's essentially a roll and move game with a board depicting a big, spooky haunted mansion. You move about the mansion, acquire weapons to assist in your murder spree (I'm serious), suffer the horrid effects of torture devices, get chased by Dracula (and possibly drained of blood and turned into a vampire yourself), pour boiling oil on your friends, etc.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2018 23:07 - 05 Jul 2018 23:23 #276959 by Michael Barnes
Ugh...the artwork is not good. I love the scratchy, atmospheric pen illustrations of the original. This looks like any other boring board game art. I’ll still definitely get this IF they don’t fuck with it because the game is basically perfect...but I have doubts. For example, are they going to “redevelop” the screaming bullshit that is oubliette or the endless staircase? Or the instant death cards? Stuff like that, the patently unfair and unbalanced stuff is what makes this game great.

Back when I was tentatively in touch with the designer and trying to figure out how to pull out a 2nd edition, one thing I was clear about was making the game one hundred percent playable in its original form. I hope these guys do that.
Last edit: 05 Jul 2018 23:23 by Michael Barnes.

More
05 Jul 2018 23:10 #276960 by Michael Barnes
Eh, crap...there are “playable characters”...which is automatically NOT in line with the original design. Looks like miniatures too. Disappointing.

More
06 Jul 2018 00:53 #276963 by hotseatgames
So will this be Kickstarter? I have never played the original but am intrigued due to its love around here. Half of my group would hate it.

More
06 Jul 2018 00:56 - 06 Jul 2018 01:04 #276964 by Josh Look
Well I for one am stoked. I actually don’t like the old art the old art (sorry, worst thing about the game) and I like the new stuff. The characters, so long as they don’t have special powers or anything dumb like that, I’m fine with them. I saw a pic of their prototype board and it looks identical to the old one. I suspect no meddling will be done to the original game, or worst case scenario, you have the option of a new or classic version. I’m really glad I might have the chance to own it, it’s been a big hit with my wife.
Last edit: 06 Jul 2018 01:04 by Josh Look.

More
06 Jul 2018 01:26 #276965 by SuperflyPete
I’m all about this. You lot have been gumming on this for ages. I kind of have to have it

More
06 Jul 2018 01:35 #276967 by Michael Barnes
If you can play the original game as originally published...then I don’t really care about what they add to it and the art can be excused. FFG’s Merchant of Venus is the gold standard here- you can play either the classic or revised game, and ain’t nobody unhappy.

Special player powers...god, I hope not. But I think that is where this is heading.

They actually polled people on Twitter to gauge interest in roll and move...if they take out roll and move, I’m out.

Of course this is a Kickstarter so we’ll see more when their campaign goes up, whenever that is.

More
06 Jul 2018 01:58 #276968 by Michael Barnes
I am in touch with Black Letter Games. Inquiring to see if they will sit for an interview about this.

More
06 Jul 2018 04:19 #276972 by Matt Thrower

More
06 Jul 2018 09:30 #276984 by Shellhead
I got my 1st edition Gothic Game a few months ago, so my interest level in a new edition is low. There are some things about the original that could be fixed without harming the charm of the game. A few standard icons on the cards would be great: play immediately, hold, attack, and something that draws more attention to the cards that can be discarded whenever for immediate healing. It would also be great if they put vp track around the border of the board, except use it to track health instead of hit points, with a different colored health token for each player. Then there would be no need for the pencil and scoring sheet. But I'm betting that they will go for a variety of changes that this game doesn't need: miniatures, named characters with special abilities, movement cards instead of dice, etc.

More
06 Jul 2018 09:32 #276985 by hotseatgames
I'd be very surprised if you couldn't still just play the old way with the new pieces.

More
06 Jul 2018 11:05 #276995 by ubarose
We just played The Gothic Game last night. We had a crazy amount of fun.

However, I think it could stand a clean up of a few ambiguities:
  • Landing on a space during your movement vs ending your movement on a space.
  • What happens to a player if they are in the vault when Dracula returns?
  • When you control another player's movement, do you just indicate the direction they go when their move starts, or do you control their entire movement.

Also
  • Having "Keep" vs "Play Immediately" on the cards would help.
  • Marking the entrances that you come in on from the Moat with their entrance numbers.
  • Making the doors to the rooms a bit easier to see.

But other than those few things, it's pretty perfect just as it is.

More
06 Jul 2018 11:24 #276998 by moofrank
If you want a second for an interview, I am so curious. I know a publisher who was in contact with the original author, but could never lock down the rights.

Uba:
1. Only ending your movement matters.
2. Bit.
3. Entire movement.

I don't think the game is perfect, however. It needs a clock or external force driving the players into conflict. If you've played Towerfall, the screen begins to contract after about 45 seconds.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

More
06 Jul 2018 11:26 #276999 by moofrank
Also...becoming Dracula is usually a death sentence. It is rarely worth it as too many objects will kill you outright, and it is too easy for others to hide in rooms.

And there REALLY needs to be more cards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

More
06 Jul 2018 11:41 #277007 by ubarose

moofrank wrote: If you want a second for an interview, I am so curious. I know a publisher who was in contact with the original author, but could never lock down the rights.

Uba:
1. Only ending your movement matters.
2. Bit.
3. Entire movement.

I don't think the game is perfect, however. It needs a clock or external force driving the players into conflict. If you've played Towerfall, the screen begins to contract after about 45 seconds.

We play that if you pass over a green square you can use the secret passage and continue your movement where you come out. It speeds up the game, essentially making the board smaller and makes it much easier to end you movement adjacent to another player.

For number 2, you mean "bit" as in dead, right?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds