October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

The Gothic Game 2nd Edition Announced

More
06 Jul 2018 11:55 #277011 by Shellhead

ubarose wrote: We play that if you pass over a green square you can use the secret passage and continue your movement where you come out. It speeds up the game, essentially making the board smaller and makes it much easier to end you movement adjacent to another player.

For number 2, you mean "bit" as in dead, right?

Playing the green squares that way makes it too hard for Dracula to catch anybody.

We play it that Dracula immediately bites the person who was already in the Crypt. Let's say Orange was Dracula and just managed to get back to the Crypt in time to avoid dying. And Blue was already in the Crypt, thanks to rolling a 6 to get out of the Moat. Dracula bites Blue, costing Blue the usual 20 points, and now Dracula covers the Blue pawn as usual. Orange is safe for the moment because he is inside a room, but both Dracula (Blue) and Orange will be leaving the Crypt on their next move because players are not allowed to loiter in rooms.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2018 12:14 #277017 by Josh Look
Those are some very worthwhile suggestions you guys made. I don’t think getting drawn into conflict is so much the problem as being able to do so is. I was the second to last person in the game last night and at no point did I have a weapon. It’s funny that I lasted so long without, but I think making it easier to get weapons would go a long way.

Regardless, the publisher really should be in contact with this site. This is their audience, not BGG, full stop.

I really like the new item card art. It kind of looks like it was done on black scratch board. My ideal art style for the game would be something like Mike Mignola or something like the video game Darkest Dungeon, where it’s more about what you’re allowed to see in the shadows than anything else.

More
06 Jul 2018 15:36 #277041 by Michael Barnes
They are in for an interview- if you folks have questions you want answered, post here and I will include them. Try to do this by Tuesday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look

More
06 Jul 2018 17:23 #277048 by Josh Look
Aside from the obvious ones (Is this a straight reprint, if not, what additions will there be and will there be the option to play the classic version)....

-What kind of contact have you had with the original designers? What kind of input or suggestions have they given if any?

-I’d like to know a bit about your history with the game. It’s no secret that the game isn’t really what we’d call a modern design and is a fairly obscure cult classic to boot, so what encouraged your decision to pursue a new edition?

-Nobody comes away from the original with loving how the Dracula pawn swallows up the smaller pawns. Do you have anything planned to replicate that even though you’re using miniatures?

Anything else I can think of would be more reactive questions. It’s not like the game has this well known legacy where it’s name means something to those who haven’t played it, so if it’s being changed to appeal more to modern gaming sensibilities, why put the name on it?

Finally, please tell them to fix the entrance path on their prototype board. Theirs is two spaces wide, it should be one.

More
06 Jul 2018 17:56 #277050 by Michael Barnes
-Nobody comes away from the original with loving how the Dracula pawn swallows up the smaller pawns. Do you have anything planned to replicate that even though you’re using miniatures?

Do mean WITHOUT loving? Because I love it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look

More
06 Jul 2018 19:11 #277055 by Josh Look

Michael Barnes wrote: -Nobody comes away from the original with loving how the Dracula pawn swallows up the smaller pawns. Do you have anything planned to replicate that even though you’re using miniatures?

Do mean WITHOUT loving? Because I love it!

Shit, OF COURSE I mean without loving it. My bad.

More
07 Jul 2018 10:52 - 07 Jul 2018 11:01 #277073 by ubarose
I received some corrections to my announcement from the publisher/designer. I don’t want to spoil Michael’s interview, but I have update the announcement:

A Kickstarter for the second edition of The Gothic Game, with all new artwork, will be launched most likely in the first quarter of 2019. There will be significant changes to the original to reduce randomness, with movement being goverened by multifunction cards. Rules for classic play will be included.

It’s starting to sound kind of like Wiz-War, which could be cool. Plus you can still play the classic version.
Last edit: 07 Jul 2018 11:01 by ubarose.

More
07 Jul 2018 11:33 #277077 by Josh Look
Reduced randomness? That sounds horrible.

Glad there’s the option to play classic. Just hope the board is fixed. None of this two space wide bullshit for babies.

More
07 Jul 2018 23:41 #277098 by engineer Al

Josh Look wrote: Reduced randomness? That sounds horrible.

Yeah, once I start using strategy I'm playing a different game!

More
08 Jul 2018 00:27 #277102 by ubarose

engineer Al wrote:

Josh Look wrote: Reduced randomness? That sounds horrible.

Yeah, once I start using strategy I'm playing a different game!

There’s all kinds of strategies in The Gothic Game

The Hide in the Lavatory Strategy
The Jump in the Moat when Dracula is Coming Strategy
Make a Run for the Tower Before Everyone Gets on the Board Strategy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, GorillaGrody

More
07 Oct 2019 15:41 #302258 by Josh Look
This is finally launching on October 24. There’s a how to play video on the new variant. That’s right, variant. I haven’t watched it yet.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
07 Oct 2019 17:31 #302260 by Josh Look
I’ve been informed by Blackletter Games that it will be impossible to play the original game. I’m guessing the widened the one space across passageways.

So hey, fuck this thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
07 Oct 2019 21:06 #302261 by hotseatgames
I've never played the original. Can you explain why that is so vital?

More
07 Oct 2019 22:11 #302262 by Josh Look
Because you can’t move through other players. You can totally get stuck behind someone and if that place you’re stuck is the wrong space, you can get killed. Like, before you actually even enter the castle, that can happen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
08 Oct 2019 10:21 #302268 by Shellhead
I hosted my annual day of horror boardgames last Saturday, including a six-player game of The Gothic Game. It was classic, and though a couple of players were eliminated early on, everybody watched closely for the full hour of play. Only one other player had played before, so I gave them a few pointers. I told them that the best weapons are in the Torture Chamber and the Trophy Room. The artwork in each room is a preview of everything you might find there. Becoming the vampire is risky late in the game, because it is more likely that players will have defenses against the vampire.

Our first player to become a vampire terrorized the table for half the game. He killed two players on his long first outing, but the survivors got more canny about avoiding him the second time around. I got to the Torture Chamber, only to encounter the dreaded Iron Maiden. A different player became vampire, and chased the former vampire onto the Great Spiral Staircase. That guy was never seen again. Second vampire later swooped down on the other remaining player, who whipped out the garlic, hammer, and stake for the win.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Dr. Mabuse

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds