The Gothic Game 2nd Edition Announced

More
08 Oct 2019 16:45 #302279 by Shellhead
It's interesting to see the new board in that video. Looks like the oubliette and the fall-into-the-moat spaces are all gone. Great Spiral Stair looks like it might be easier to escape. There is a graveyard, but the tower with the boiling oil is gone. The servants bedroom is also gone. There are fewer of the arrows that dump you into rooms. The entrance to the trophy room has been moved closer to the den. The overall color palette of the rooms has been changed from garish to shadowy, which is not necessarily a bad thing, just a matter of taste. Overall, I think that these changes streamline the gameplay while subtracting from the experience. In particular, taking away board features like the oubliette and the moat hazards makes the power of adjacency less interesting, and also makes rolling and moving less interesting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2019 17:09 #302280 by Shellhead
If I were running this Kickstarter, I would have made only a few changes to the original game:

1. A hit point track around the north and east edges of the board, plus 8 hit point tracking tokens in the same color as the player pawns, to replace the need for a pencil and scoring sheet.
2. A short track in the southwest corner of the board to track various timed effects like number of turns before the vampire must return to the crypt, along with another small set of cardboard tokens.
3. A couple of distinctive icons for the cards, to indicate whether a card should be read aloud and played immediately or read quietly and held back for later usage.
4. Slightly longer rule book, just to clarify certain aspects of the rules.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
08 Oct 2019 19:52 #302283 by Josh Look
You can’t tell me that you couldn’t do a double-sided board as stretch goal #1
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

Moderators: FrohikeGary Sax
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds