October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

The Gothic Game 2nd Edition Announced

More
25 Oct 2019 10:05 #302773 by Josh Look
Game? Yeah, there’s tons of stuff out there that is way better as a game.

Laughs? No, not even close.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Kris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2019 10:47 #302777 by ubarose
@Southernman

You don't play The Gothic Game; The Gothic Game plays you.

For us, it is a twisted late night party game. It plays 8 and you can play it when less than sober, as it requires very few functioning brain cells.

I think the charm of the original is that it takes the format of a very simple roll & move children's game, but them makes it extremely graphic and violent, but in a funny way. Like you can die from eating bad food, and not being able to get to the toilet in time.

But I don't know what this new version is going to be like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Kris

More
29 Oct 2019 21:39 #302913 by olsonjj25
Did anyone get a chance to see/play this at Essen? Any thoughts to share?

I’m a current Kickstarter backer - never played the original - but I’d always been curious to try and was excited for the 2nd Edition. It’s unfortunately not exactly setting the world on fire...

More
29 Oct 2019 22:12 #302914 by Michael Barnes
I don’t think this is going to clear, unfortunately. Fans of the old game are leery and are likely satisfied with their well-worn original copies. Those new to it are curious because of the old game’s reputation, which has all but vanished from mainstream attention. It’s not a game that has a lot of people clamoring for a reprint, let alone an updated one.

Launching the campaign at Essen wasn’t a good idea. It’s true that you sign folks up for it right on the show floor, but people are looking to buy the hot new releases there and back home people are holding out to buy the Essen games when they hit shops. The Halloween cachet doesn’t matter when it is shipping next year.

And this is not one of the big, miniature-Heavy games that blow up...

There’s a lot for this one to overcome. I hope it does but Blackletter needs to crack the code as to how to sell this game to a skeptical or disinterested audience.

More
29 Oct 2019 22:14 #302915 by Ah_Pook
Step one world be if it was $20 cheaper probably. Seems like a hard sell for $60-70 shipped.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

More
29 Oct 2019 22:53 #302917 by Michael Barnes
Yes. That’s definitely an issue. Although it is (was) big bucks on the aftermarket due to its rarity, it’s not a $70 game in material or content.

I like the illustrations, I think it has a striking look...but they set the wrong tone. It looks serious and super grim...which isn’t really how it plays out. It’s more Edward Gorey than Slayer. Of course the subject matter is killing your friends, but the original was cheeky and morbidly funny.

Losing that incredible logo on the black box was a big mistake, IMO. I’m also not crazy about “Damnation”...again, too bleak.

More
30 Oct 2019 11:37 #302930 by ubarose

olsonjj25 wrote: Did anyone get a chance to see/play this at Essen? Any thoughts to share?

I’m a current Kickstarter backer - never played the original - but I’d always been curious to try and was excited for the 2nd Edition. It’s unfortunately not exactly setting the world on fire...

We have coverage from Essen on The Gothic Game 2nd Edition coming. Our reporter is still in transit, and is mostly exhausted. He will be getting his article to us soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

More
30 Oct 2019 11:48 #302931 by ubarose
@Michael,

You have to remember that Essen is a trade show, not a convention. Publishers are trying to get commitments from distributors and retail outlets. It makes sense for a European publisher to launch their Kickstarter just before Essen, just the way so many US publishers launch just before GAMA or the NY Toy and Game Trade show.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
03 Nov 2019 09:32 #303063 by Ah_Pook
This cancelled this morning, so I guess they saw the writing on the wall. Plans for a relaunch early next year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
08 Feb 2021 08:32 #318969 by Benji_BlackletterGames
DAMNATION: THE GOTHIC GAME RISES FROM THE DEAD SPRING 2021

We've been working hard in advance of our relaunched on Kickstarter later this year. Damnation will be back, with a better campaign, new content (that's right) and some exciting new features.

If you're as excited to finally play this as we are to get it into your hands, head to our website and sign up to our new mailing list to see when we go live!

www.blacklettergames.com
linktr.ee/BlackletterGames
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Ah_Pook

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds