October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Arkham Horror 3rd Edition

More
02 Aug 2018 15:08 #279048 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Arkham Horror 3rd Edition

ChristopherMD wrote: I'm not sure the hexes are because you explore more of them and expand the board to the full town. I think each scenario will use a few specific hexes and you'll stay in that neighborhood.

Arkham Horror is based on Call of Cthulhu RPG not based directly on Lovecrafts work. So really people should be blaming Sandy Petersen.

Exactly, on all counts. Normal scenarios for this new edition will probably use just a specific set of modular board pieces. And every edition of Arkham Horror and all the other FFG mythos games have always explicitly referenced the Call of Cthulhu rpg. Although there is a lot of variance between individual adventures, generally the characters have much more of a literal fighting chance to survive in a Call of Cthulhu session than in a Lovecraft story.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2018 20:30 #279064 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Arkham Horror 3rd Edition
Honestly, the more I sit with this the more I'm excited about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
05 Aug 2018 08:02 #279226 by bronb
Replied by bronb on topic Arkham Horror 3rd Edition
The changes are so extreme, they make it a totally different game. So what does this have to do with Arkham Horror, just a cynical marketing ploy?

More
05 Aug 2018 09:02 #279230 by ChristopherMD
m.ign.com/articles/2018/08/03/arkham-hor...verhaul-gen-con-2018

I'm definitely not interested and will be sticking with my unstreamlined 2nd Edition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, edulis

More
05 Aug 2018 09:16 #279231 by Erik Twice

bronb wrote: The changes are so extreme, they make it a totally different game. So what does this have to do with Arkham Horror, just a cynical marketing ploy?

You could say the same about the changes that turned the Chaosim game into FFG's flag ship title.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
05 Aug 2018 09:24 #279232 by drewcula
Replied by drewcula on topic Arkham Horror 3rd Edition
"Yeah, but overdone poorly. There are very, very few truly Lovecraftian games, and while Arkham Horror was a fine game, it wasn't that truly Lovecrafty. Eldritch arguably did it better with conditions and hidden information, but it still missed the dread part because the hidden information isn't that bad.

I don't know if I've ever played anything that really, truly got the theme right. Setting, sure, a lot have been done well, but I'd argue that the Thing game or even Dark Moon did Lovecraft better. The idea of a hidden force out to assimilate you, total paranoia, trusting no-one...that's what makes Lovecraft, Lovecraft.

If Nikki put a traitor role in this, it may well be THE Lovecraft game."

I agree with Pete on this 100%

I'd argue Mythos Tales is probably the closest we gamers have to something akin of Lovecraft's writing.

As far as upgrade entitlement, I also agree it's silly. However, as per the title above - Mythos Tales could have found a middle ground. I pledged the Kickstarter. I genuinely wanted to support the title and the publisher. It's a cool game. But there are typos and a thorough errata. More than a few. A new publisher grabs the title and I think it would have a been a nice gesture to say... Offer Kickstarter backers at least a discount to buy their corrected edition.

Oh wait. The new edition has typos too.

Anyway, Arkham Horror 1st edition was a charming mess. 2nd edition was a bloated mess. I don't know who this Nikki person is, but I suspect there will be a 3rd edition mess of some sort. I'll be a wait and see for this game.

What I can tell you: I'm far more interested in this edition than CMON's Death May Die.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
05 Aug 2018 09:45 #279233 by Gary Sax
I just read the thing, md, what specifically in it turned you off so much? I didn't see much that surprised me. Biggest difference maybe the chit pull mythos...? Wasn't a super detailed account.

More
05 Aug 2018 10:11 #279235 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Arkham Horror 3rd Edition

ChristopherMD wrote: m.ign.com/articles/2018/08/03/arkham-hor...verhaul-gen-con-2018

I'm definitely not interested and will be sticking with my unstreamlined 2nd Edition.

About that article... the writer complained that they once played a nine-hour game of Arkham Horror 2nd. I don't think that's at all likely unless the players missed some of the rules or suffered from extreme analysis paralysis. For example, some people think that eight players is too many for Arkham Horror, because it will take forever to play. But eight players makes for a low threshold for an endgame triggered by open gates. I suppose it's possible for a game to run long without expansions. You could seal several gates, though not quite enough for a win, then be starved of clue tokens. Especially if you have silly players who waste the clue tokens needlessly during encounters. Still... nine hours is absurd. They probably could have cut the time in half by asking everybody to put their phones away.

I once played an 8-player game that lasted just under one hour. We started with a gate, as usual. Somebody accidentally found a gate during an encounter at Independence Square, and another player found a gate at during an encounter at the Unnameable. Two more gates opened up during the Mythos phases of the first two turns, and BOOM, final battle. Tsathoggua was the Great Old One, and his attack is lethal: Each investigator must discard 2 monster trophies and 1 gate trophy or be devoured. Game over.

More
05 Aug 2018 10:42 #279237 by Gary Sax
An underappreciated difference between EH and AH is a massive reduction in number of dice rolled, which actually makes the game *more* random. It also made investigators fail more often that in AH, which can be a plus or minus depending on your gaming personality. It sounds like they're putting an expanded focus system in to still make risky, lower dice rolls but actually have a mechanism to help deal with it better? I'll be interested to see.

More
05 Aug 2018 10:46 - 05 Aug 2018 10:47 #279238 by ChristopherMD
My first game of Arkham was four players and took 8 hours. Nobody had their phones out. Last time I played with same people it took 3 hours.

Gary, I wasn't excited about it before and seeing more pics and thinking about typical FFG half-there releases just turned me off.
I love adventure/character-customization games and this seems like a downgrade from 2nd in that respect. Keep in mind though my opinion in general for adventure games is that streamlining isn't automatically better. Some of us prefer the details that get cut out.
Last edit: 05 Aug 2018 10:47 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
06 Aug 2018 06:02 #279290 by Chaz
Replied by Chaz on topic Arkham Horror 3rd Edition
Wonder if there'll still be ways for bad card pulls to make you have to skip four or five turns in a row, which I saw happen in base Arkham Horror.

More
06 Aug 2018 06:28 #279291 by mads b.
Replied by mads b. on topic Arkham Horror 3rd Edition
In the IGN-article linked to above they say that they at one time rolled 13 dice. This, I think, sounds promising. No, it's not a big deal, but I really like the dice chucking in AH compared to the amount of dice you get to roll in Eldritch.

And who am I kidding? I'm gonna be all over this and just sold of EH to make room for it. Will keep 2nd ed, though - it's just a very special game in so many ways.

More
06 Aug 2018 10:11 #279310 by Gary Sax
^same. My wife dislikes EH so I might get rid of it soon... keep your eyes on the forums.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
06 Aug 2018 15:31 #279332 by bronb
Replied by bronb on topic Arkham Horror 3rd Edition

Erik Twice wrote:

bronb wrote: The changes are so extreme, they make it a totally different game. So what does this have to do with Arkham Horror, just a cynical marketing ploy?

You could say the same about the changes that turned the Chaosim game into FFG's flag ship title.

Which is why I never bought the FFG reworking. And because it was clear on release that there would be tons of expansions.

More
06 Aug 2018 15:53 - 06 Aug 2018 15:57 #279333 by SuperflyPete
After seeing this live, I think this is a good design decision. Basically, the game tells a narrative story via a deck of cards which flip up at certain points. Think Dragonholt in “how the story unfolds” kind of, from my understanding.

In fact, now that I’ve seen it and based on Barnes’ new girlcrush Nikki’s work, I fully understand why they hired her. It looks like they decided to take the expanding scope via investigation mechanic of MANSIONS and put it into ARKHAM to make sort of a “pinnacle of Cthulhu Mythos investigation” in the FFG perspective.

The modular boards exist because each story takes place in different settings as far as what buildings become available for investigation. Or that’s how it seemed.

So, the first card gives you the main tile set, then after investigating some wanker gives you a clue about ghost sightings at the brothel, and now the brothel is put into play. As it turns out, the ghost of Fellacious Jackson is haunting the place and via a seance you have to go to her house to uncover how she died...and then her house is put into play.
Last edit: 06 Aug 2018 15:57 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Gary Sax, Sevej, sornars

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds