October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Arkham Horror 3rd Edition

More
02 Aug 2018 09:09 #279001 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Arkham Horror 3rd Edition

fightcitymayor wrote: Agreed, the hexagonal modular puzzle piece boards are a turn-off.

I think that the hexagonal modular puzzle pieces are a great idea for some other game. Like Mads said, Arkham Horror did a great job of conveying the sense of a place. These puzzle pieces are completely at odds with any reasonable sense of an early 20th century town, but they would be ideal for a space station, or underwater installation, or a supervillain lair.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2018 09:14 #279003 by Shellhead

Michael Barnes wrote: I can’t believe people are asking for upgrade kits. Yeah,
There is one. It’s a $64.95 purchase.

I don't understand how anybody could look at these components and think that an upgrade kit would somehow bridge the significant differences between 2nd and 3rd editions. It would be like asking for an upgrade kit from the very modest 1st edition to 2nd. This is effectively going to be a brand new game that is going to recycle the FFG interpretation of Call of Cthulhu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
02 Aug 2018 10:11 - 02 Aug 2018 10:12 #279010 by ChristopherMD
Some people think when they purchase a game they're entitled to lifetime support from the publisher. Its weird and kind of ridiculous. You agreed on purchase that you were only buying what's in the box unless it came with some certificate promising future upgrades. I don't like to use analogies, but in this case to me its like buying a 2018 car and then demanding to get the new transmission that was added to the 2019 version of that car. They just cry about stuff like this or Eclipse 2nd edition somehow making the previous games unplayable and that they're being ripped off by the publisher.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2018 10:12 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
02 Aug 2018 10:26 - 02 Aug 2018 10:26 #279012 by SuperflyPete

MattDP wrote: Lots of things to love, except for the Lovecraft. It's just so over-done.

Yeah, but overdone poorly. There are very, very few truly Lovecraftian games, and while Arkham Horror was a fine game, it wasn't that truly Lovecrafty. Eldritch arguably did it better with conditions and hidden information, but it still missed the dread part because the hidden information isn't that bad.

I don't know if I've ever played anything that really, truly got the theme right. Setting, sure, a lot have been done well, but I'd argue that the Thing game or even Dark Moon did Lovecraft better. The idea of a hidden force out to assimilate you, total paranoia, trusting no-one...that's what makes Lovecraft, Lovecraft.

If Nikki put a traitor role in this, it may well be THE Lovecraft game.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2018 10:26 by SuperflyPete.

More
02 Aug 2018 10:34 - 02 Aug 2018 10:35 #279013 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Arkham Horror 3rd Edition
If it retains the wackiness of the original while making the narrative better linked together, I think it will have done its job. EH got the overarching narrative right but missed on the spontaneous, randomly generated, bizarre individual stories for each investigator that AH gets so right.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2018 10:35 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motorik

More
02 Aug 2018 10:48 #279014 by Motorik
Replied by Motorik on topic Arkham Horror 3rd Edition
Give me a much shorter, much tighter ruleset and I'm all in.

More
02 Aug 2018 11:30 #279019 by Gary Sax
Also, the modular part does make expansions a different proposition. My guess is that they're hoping to sell small district tile/story expansions a la AH LCG. Which I actually think is a good idea beyond the money pit?

More
02 Aug 2018 12:28 #279026 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Arkham Horror 3rd Edition
For as over the theme as I am, my interest is seriously peaked. If its less of a thing where an RPG vomited into the box and more of a focused game, I am going to devour this. It looks like a complete departure from the previous edition, and Eldritch for that matter, and I am ready for it.

I’ve never understood the demand for “upgrade kits.” Maybe for games that have been out for all of a year and they seriously fucked something up, but publishers do not owe you a lifetime of support.

More
02 Aug 2018 12:40 #279028 by Shellhead

Josh Look wrote: I’ve never understood the demand for “upgrade kits.” Maybe for games that have been out for all of a year and they seriously fucked something up, but publishers do not owe you a lifetime of support.

Maybe blame D&D for the expectation of upgrade kits. When 3.0 came out, they were giving away free booklets that helped convert 1st/2nd edition stats to 3.0. And then when 3.5 became necessary to patch over all the issues that were found in 3.0, they offered another free upgrade book.

More
02 Aug 2018 13:06 #279029 by John Myers
Am I the only one turned off but the box art?

It seems to be saying less "prepare to enter a world of cosmic nightmares" and more "let's find out what wacky adventures those Arkham investigators are up to this week! <cue Duke's of Hazard theme>."

FFG used to be really good at enticing players with smart aesthetic choices regardless of the the contents of the actual games and I wonder if some of that has been lost.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Turek, fightcitymayor

More
02 Aug 2018 13:19 #279031 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Arkham Horror 3rd Edition

Shellhead wrote:

Josh Look wrote: I’ve never understood the demand for “upgrade kits.” Maybe for games that have been out for all of a year and they seriously fucked something up, but publishers do not owe you a lifetime of support.

Maybe blame D&D for the expectation of upgrade kits. When 3.0 came out, they were giving away free booklets that helped convert 1st/2nd edition stats to 3.0. And then when 3.5 became necessary to patch over all the issues that were found in 3.0, they offered another free upgrade book.

I blame Sirlin (spit).

More
02 Aug 2018 13:31 #279033 by fightcitymayor

John Myers wrote: It seems to be saying less "prepare to enter a world of cosmic nightmares" and more "let's find out what wacky adventures those Arkham investigators are up to this week! <cue Duke's of Hazard theme>."

You're totally right. But ever since Cthulhu became peddled as cutesy geek culture on everything from plushies to onesies then any remaining harrowing psychological darkness kind of flew right out the window. So now you get Cthulhu as millennial Scooby Doo.

More
02 Aug 2018 14:13 #279037 by SuperflyPete
I kind of think the hex tiles are so you can “explore”. I suspect this is more of a game of slowly expanding narrative and the hexes would be explained by that. Mechanically it fits.

If they get rid of having to remember fucking monster movement I’d be far more interested

More
02 Aug 2018 14:17 #279038 by Gary Sax
I think Arkham Horror made its name on a zany pulp experience barely related to the mythos. It'd be a *major* departure if they went away from that in the new edition.

More
02 Aug 2018 14:27 - 02 Aug 2018 14:28 #279042 by ChristopherMD
I'm not sure the hexes are because you explore more of them and expand the board to the full town. I think each scenario will use a few specific hexes and you'll stay in that neighborhood.

Arkham Horror is based on Call of Cthulhu RPG not based directly on Lovecrafts work. So really people should be blaming Sandy Petersen.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2018 14:28 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.457 seconds