October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Great read about Glory to Rome

More
09 Sep 2018 12:35 #281331 by Michael Barnes
Would that were more games writing like this (staaaaaaaafffffffffff......).

arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/09/how-a-ceo...tter_impression=true
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, waddball, ChristopherMD, Jexik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2018 14:33 - 09 Sep 2018 14:34 #281335 by ChristopherMD
I remember playing the first edition right when it came out. Seemed like just the latest in a long line of mechanics-first Euro's that were just a progression of things already done. Never understood why its so special other than rarity. Not saying its bad just there are hundreds of games just as good or better.
Last edit: 09 Sep 2018 14:34 by ChristopherMD.

More
09 Sep 2018 15:11 #281336 by Jackwraith
Yeah, I'm with Chris on this one. I got the game in a math trade once, believe it or not, and played it a few times, but was just never blown away by it the way others were. What kind of struck me was that this was a game identified with "Euro" mechanics, but one which was subject to as much randomness as any Games Workshop polyglot creation ever. The article even details the "runaway victory" aspect that is often beyond the control of other players. And yet people complain about rolling a handful of dice... I ended up either selling or trading my copy, somewhere along the way.

More
09 Sep 2018 15:29 #281337 by Michael Barnes
I like the game but I don’t know what it is about it that makes people believe it’s better than, say, Race for the Galaxy. Part of what I think is so interesting about it is this weird cult that’s developed around it...people act like it’s this holy grail thing but there are really better games in its class. I still think it’s funny that the art choices are god fucking awful cartoon or Third Reich.

It’s also interesting, I figure, because it’s Chudyk’s first and best known design...but Innovation is so much better...

To date, it is still the only Kickstarter I’ve ever backed.

More
09 Sep 2018 17:27 #281343 by Jexik
The article touches on some of what makes it different - the fact that certain card combinations can make the game quickly unstable and lopsided. Seeing something break and then winning with it can be fun if you're into that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, jeb, Msample, san il defanso

More
09 Sep 2018 18:08 #281345 by san il defanso
Yeah, the sharp edges are the distinctive element. For AT fans it's not unusual for a game to feel like it could be unbalanced in any direction, but it's a different feeling in a staid Euro design. The alternate win conditions are fun too. It's a game that really rewards repeated plays as you see what it can do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
09 Sep 2018 20:59 #281360 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Great read about Glory to Rome
It's hard to fuck somebody up in SAN JUAN, but you can just blow everyone out of the water in GLORY TO ROME. I backed that Black Box ed too, no regrets.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Frohike

More
09 Sep 2018 22:49 #281366 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Great read about Glory to Rome
The three responses above speak to what I like about it. I'd much rather play GtR than the other ones that sit in the same basket for those reasons - it's just that bit wacky. Another reason I like it is because I am something of a Roma-phile and love the way the whole patron client thing is represented and all the little latin quotes and stuff (I don't mind the garish version in the slightest).

More
09 Sep 2018 23:16 #281367 by san il defanso
Objectively the original artwork is terrible, and the black box version is way more appealing. I'm not sure that it's great though. It feels much more abstract to me. Tasteful, yes, but it feels a lot more...I guess pretentious is the word I'm looking for. Surely there must be a happy medium? Oh wait, there is, it's the European version.

On the article itself, it's very good. That's probably as close as anyone will get to knowing what in the world happened to this game. There are still a lot of question marks, like the precise nature of the falling out between Chudyk and Carter, but that's just how it is. It is definitely a product of how much this industry blurs the lines between business and passion projects.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
09 Sep 2018 23:39 #281368 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Great read about Glory to Rome
The good thing about the original artwork is that the brightness makes it easy to see what's what. I can only go off the printed-paper-in-sleeves version I made of the black box edition, so maybe it's not quite fair to compare, but now I have a copy of the original it's a whole lot easier. Yeah it's not "tasteful" (I think pretentious is not far off) but it's not a "tasteful" card game. Like someone else said it doesn't have a euro sensibility at all.

The article has mined some of the threads on BGG for a lot of it, and there's some more details in those that tell Carter's side of things. What it adds though is the stuff from the lawyer which is interesting.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds