October 09, 2023
2490 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2689 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Star Wars: Armada

More
23 May 2016 15:27 #227972 by Hex Sinister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2016 19:17 #227977 by Michael Barnes
Alright! Looking good...and I'm thinking one of each will be sufficient given the descriptions. Sounds like the Liberty is more of a "melee ship" like the Gladiator (7 dice and five shields on the front!), and the Interdictor looks like a more technical, strategic vessel for the Empire

More
23 May 2016 19:20 #227978 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic FFG's Star Wars: Armada
Like. Will buy.

More
24 May 2016 14:55 #228036 by Hex Sinister
I think I'll get one of each too. The Liberty is the last of the original ships left, no? I was hoping they would make the Finalizer from FA but I just saw that it's twice the length of a classic star destroyer. So I guess that's out. JJ loves to bigger-ize everything, look at the Enterprise =P

More
29 May 2016 00:28 - 29 May 2016 00:34 #228352 by Gary Sax
Played my first two games with a live opponent tonight. Ginned up some 175 point fleets out my collection w/o any upgrade cards. My opponent was really insistent that we needed to play the whole 3x6 play space rather than the 3x3, felt it disadvantaged the rebels. I can see that, I think I'll buy another space mat.

Good time. The rebel advantage in maneuver really had never hit me before I couldn't predict what my opponent was playing for commands. Hope we play again.
Last edit: 29 May 2016 00:34 by Gary Sax.

More
29 May 2016 15:21 #228362 by Hex Sinister
Cool, we played yesterday too.

Me: MC80, FF, 2x Corvette, Nym, 2 A-wing
vs.
2 ISD, Bossk, Fett, IG-88, Tie, (Admiral Motti adds 3 hull each ship)

Objective was Ambush Zone and my first mistake was deploying my big ships out there instead of my faster, more nimble corvettes. The ISD's were in parallel and my plan was to converge on the (slightly) leading one simultaneously for a huge barrage. I always underestimate the speed so of course she moved the leading one to cut my fleet in half and then forcing me to crash my Home One into her. Worse, the other ISD goes Full Stop(!) so now the two are forming a death pincer for my MC80. (She's really clever about protecting her flanks.) Meanwhile Boba Fett is taking big turds on my Corvette while IG-88 and Bossk rip the shit out of my squadrons. IG-88 vs. A-Wings, no competition. Ugh.

At the crucial moment when I needed to hammer the lead ISD with my flagship, I choke and take shots with my FF who is going to lose optimal range/arc. That got my flagship blown up before it could fire... noooooo! First turbolaser barrage was 9 damage w/ 2 crits (from abilites). Add accuracy results so no brace and flanking shields were hosed so redirect useless. All crew to escape pods! Disengage fleet to hyperspaAAGh!

Final Score:
Empire 267
Rebel 167 =P

More
31 May 2016 15:25 #228419 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic FFG's Star Wars: Armada
One of my coworkers is asking me why all of a sudden everybody is selling tons of Armada stuff for 30% off. I told him we should maybe open the box and actually play it first before buying more stuff*. Setting that aside, any ideas on this discounting from our Armada experts?

*I'm not going to bust his ass too bad - I've done the very same thing. I try not to buy stuff that won't get played at home, but the flesh is weak, feet of clay, etc.

More
31 May 2016 21:53 #228441 by gorm
Replied by gorm on topic FFG's Star Wars: Armada
Started playing this last night with a buddy of mine - great game. We tried the game out last year when it came out, but did a bunch of stuff wrong and ultimately shelved it. However, since we are all recovering minis gamers, the thought of buying prepainted ships that look good and the gameplay has a couple of us giving it a second chance. This time, we are taking it slow - playing more simply with a few ships and then folding in the nuances as we learn. Going much better this time and we are already planning next Sunday's scenario. Glad we stuck it out.

One note - while at Geekway last week, MM was selling a handful of FFG's play mats for half price. We both snagged one and the look of mat vs. our using black felt is sooo much better.

Steve G.

More
31 May 2016 22:05 #228442 by Gary Sax
I need a second one badly.

More
01 Jun 2016 04:26 #228450 by Hex Sinister
How slippery are the playmats? They're just like mousepads, right? Sorry, I can't remember if I asked before.

RobertB, it seems like Armada goes on sale a lot. Every few months at least. I always wait for a sale but that usually means not getting new stuff in a timely fashion.

More
28 Jul 2016 15:39 #231033 by Gary Sax
Unless I missed it, no one is talking about this?

www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/s.../corellian-conflict/

I get why they're doing it, it's a smart idea... but this is definitely not why I play Armada. It is a little annoying that they're doing it X-wing style and packing in card products you might want (e.g. titles) even if you have 0 interest in the campaign.

More
29 Jul 2016 04:32 #231057 by Hex Sinister
I put up a mini blurb about it about 5 days ago but it's still pending moderation...

Initially I was a little meh about it but the idea is growing on me. Back in the day I always wanted to do an epic SFB campaign using the Federation and Empire strategic board but never got to. I mean you would literally need to be trapped on mars with nothing else to do for the next 20 years but play that out. I like the idea of it though but no thanks. This isn't quite that but more do-able. It does suck about the cards though.

More
29 Jul 2016 06:37 #231058 by Gary Sax
It's also like 30 MSRP which is palatable given how expensive Armada is in general.

More
29 Jul 2016 10:57 #231068 by SuperflyPete
Speaking of X Wing...

I saw these at Kohl's and am thinking we're seeing future waves.
Attachments:

More
30 Jul 2016 00:25 #231128 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, I dunno...I'm not interested in campaign anything, really. But I'll probably wind up reviewing it. I would rather this have been a scenario book or a collection of things like new rules for terrain, boarding, optional advanced rules, that kind of thing.

Much more interested in the new ships.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds