October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Star Wars: Armada

More
26 Aug 2016 14:18 #232865 by Michael Barnes
You can squeak by with 4x3, 5x3 if you have to but that 3 is minimum. I have the FFG mats too and frankly, they were worth $5 more or whatever because they come in good looking sturdy boxes. Some others do not.

but yeah, I usually put everything on the mats- cards, order dials, etc. so you don't need all this space and then more. I usually play it in the floor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2016 14:23 #232867 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic FFG's Star Wars: Armada

Michael Barnes wrote: I'm thinking about going twos on the Gozantis and the Rebel Transports...mainly because they are flotilla ships (2 per base) and they make your fleet look damn cool. Both are what I would consider "advanced play" ships.

Have you used these much? Seems like they're highly contingent on the upgrade cards you equip them with.

More
26 Aug 2016 14:37 #232872 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, I've messed with them some. The Gozantis are really fragile and should definitely be viewed primarily as support for fighters. It's best upgrade cards enhance fighters' power and durability. You also get Agent Kallus (From Rebels, he gives a bonus against unique squadrons...so he's a headhunter.

The Rebel Transports have little (or no) firepower. It is all about repair crews, jamming, bomber command, rerolls, obfuscation, etc

You wouldn't run either without a few cards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
26 Aug 2016 15:28 #232876 by SuperflyPete
I really like the idea of those 2-up frigates/cruisers. That's a great way to split the difference between fighters and cap ships.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Hex Sinister

More
26 Aug 2016 16:10 #232878 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, and going to two on those also puts more ships on the table...which looks awesome. You'll find that they get melted easily if you are not careful (witness Gary Sax'd photo), but they can wriggle in and cause manuvering issues for the large ships or wear down shields nicely. Even if you don't go to two of the caps, I would strongly recommend 2x on the Nebulon B and C90 (which means just two small blisters plus ) and the Imperial Raider. I was thinking this was cheap...but even just that upgrade is like $50.

More
26 Aug 2016 16:25 #232881 by SuperflyPete
I just need some fucking money LOL.

If I could go back in time I'd have kept all that Armada stuff.

More
27 Aug 2016 15:24 #232913 by Gary Sax
Playing again tonight, probably 300 point game, no upgrades. My guess is he's going to use Soontir Fel and the two interceptors I have (soon 2 more!) along with some Ties to really stick it to my fighters since it worked so well last time. Trying to decide how to handle it. I'm kind of thinking of just taking an frigate, placing it behind the line and keeping it near the fighter furball to fire its 2 medium shots in and hopefully shred his fighters, keeping it facing forward and firing at anything at long range. I'll need the 2 a-wings and an x-wing or two to tie them down, methinks. Maybe take Wedge or the a-wing character.

Do you guys try to kill their anonymous units before you hit their characters? My instinct is to go after the character first because he's so shitty in his buffs for those around him, but swarm and brace mean it's hard to pile damage on them so it's really a turn or two thing while ignoring other fighters...

More
28 Aug 2016 02:34 #232924 by Hex Sinister
I tend to go after the nasty aces but it depends.

There was a wierd situation I had where I had a fighter with 1 hp engaged with a Counter X ship so I could either attack and probably suicide or just tie him down for another round and keep him away from my other groups. That was probably kind of lame huh *shrug*.

More
31 Aug 2016 18:47 - 31 Aug 2016 18:49 #233141 by Gary Sax
Just got my shipment. The Interdictor and the transports/carriers are really interesting. They're kind of niche/support but I can totally see where they fit. I'm excited to run a transport support ship that trails Home One or the Liberty.

The Liberty is less interesting but more necessary. It fits right into Wave 1-2---I think it's a legitimate question whether you want the Liberty or Home One for your big rebel ship.
Last edit: 31 Aug 2016 18:49 by Gary Sax.

More
01 Sep 2016 12:32 #233176 by Gary Sax
I also just got a full set of segments for range rulers and fighter move rulers from this place:

recreatorstudios.com/collections/1105794-armada-compatible

His prices are VERY, even exorbitantly, expensive relative to some other options you have for this stuff but holy shit do they look good. I'll upload some pics later, but honestly the finished product looks almost better than the pictures. Makes me want to spend some god awful amount upgrading everything else in my set (e.g. check out the replacement shield dials and defense tokens).

Highly recommend if you have the money, looks like he has some great looking x-wing stuff too.

More
01 Sep 2016 12:46 #233178 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic FFG's Star Wars: Armada
Very snazzy!

I think my base box(es) should be arriving today, so some reading to do tonight.

More
01 Sep 2016 13:22 #233182 by Hex Sinister
The range 1 stick is totally needed. Weaving that ruler through the chaos gets annoying as fuck sometimes. But guess who's getting two root canals/ crown. Yeah, no toys for me for a while *tears*.

More
01 Sep 2016 14:19 - 01 Sep 2016 16:40 #233184 by Gary Sax
Ugh, crowns are so damn expensive!

Here a shot---little hard to see since it's on the dark table but they're on very nice colored acrylic and the details are painted in. Everything was as close as I can tell exactly on with what came in the box, also, which is probably the most important thing. I went with the distance rulers because, as hex says, they're the most game useful, shoulda-packed-in type upgrade.

Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Sep 2016 16:40 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, JEM

More
01 Sep 2016 15:14 #233187 by Hex Sinister
I'm sold. I got custom x-wing templates as a gift so I'm spoiled. I'm surprised Team Covenant doesn't make these too.

More
01 Sep 2016 15:34 #233189 by Gary Sax
Yeah, I was surprised too. There are a bunch of other places that make ones as well and they're cheaper... they don't look quite as nice but that's just me being a snob. You can get stuff like this for a lot cheaper than the place I linked to.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds