October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Star Wars: Armada

More
20 Sep 2016 18:06 #234634 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic FFG's Star Wars: Armada
Nice! You got a really nice starting mix. If you like your first couple plays add a bigger rebel ship and you're golden, fighters would be next, then maybe the raider.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2016 19:15 - 20 Sep 2016 19:17 #234638 by lj1983
Replied by lj1983 on topic FFG's Star Wars: Armada

Msample wrote: I can't believe there would be anything left at Hastings considering they started liquidating almost two months ago.

Yeah, but it wasn't until recently that the discounts started being competitive with an OLGS. Most of those two months their game stuff was ~25% off, which still makes it more expensive than Amazon. These were deep discounted, but most of their game stock is still at 50% off, and didn't start moving until it hit 40-50% off. Aaaaand they still bring out new stuff...i dunno, stuff found under old couches in the back?
Last edit: 20 Sep 2016 19:17 by lj1983.

More
21 Sep 2016 08:05 #234652 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic FFG's Star Wars: Armada
This is really cool:

Also a question on Fab- I have two base sets but if I want to use expansion versions of the ships would I "fake" the builder by saying I have one base, plus one Victory, one Nebulon, etc? I also wish it would print out everything in detail (so I can just have sheets instead of cards/laptop open through the game) but I can understand why it doesn't.

More
21 Sep 2016 09:14 #234658 by Gary Sax
I think you can tell it you have two cores. The only issue with saying you have a core and two expansions is that it will think you have upgrade and title cards you don't physically have (but could proxy, of course).

More
21 Sep 2016 09:19 - 21 Sep 2016 09:20 #234659 by JEM
That's what I'd want to do. Ideally I'd never use the physical cards or I'd paste them up. I'm never going to play in tournaments or any kind of organized play. I have the models, I don't want to pay $70 for a few cards.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2016 09:20 by JEM.

More
21 Sep 2016 09:43 #234660 by Gary Sax
Yep, I hear you. FFG sucks when they do it.

More
21 Sep 2016 10:05 #234668 by SuperflyPete
I have one of everything in Waves 1 and 2, plus an additional Victory and Spacewhale. I think I'm pretty much set for life, but I am intrigued by the flotilla stuff. I also kind of think the Imperials have better shit on balance, making the Rebels need more, smaller ships to kill something like the Imperial Class SD.

More
21 Sep 2016 10:16 - 21 Sep 2016 10:26 #234669 by JEM
I feel like there should be some kind of rule stating that rebel fleets have to be scrappy and rag-tag. Maximum duplicates of *-wing type squadrons and the like.

I like the output on Armada Warlords, eg:
armadawarlords.hivelabs.solutions/view_l...d7187200938728ae026b
Last edit: 21 Sep 2016 10:26 by JEM.

More
21 Sep 2016 12:08 #234673 by Gary Sax
^really nice if you don't want to get the physical product out (or are proxying)

Yeah, I'm not sure you really need all that much more, superfly. The things they've been releasing are cool and fun, but with the exception of the Liberty I think Wave 1-2 and are basically your core fighting ships.

More
21 Sep 2016 17:46 - 21 Sep 2016 17:49 #234707 by SuperflyPete
?'s:

1. If a ship card has no blanks in their speed for 3 and 4, does that mean they can't go that fast or simply can't turn without aid of a Nav token? Think Victory II.

2. Not rules, but concept: basically, rebels use cap ships to kill defense tokens and the f/b squads come in to shoot up hulls? That seems to be what the game wants...?
Last edit: 21 Sep 2016 17:49 by SuperflyPete.

More
21 Sep 2016 17:53 - 21 Sep 2016 18:04 #234710 by Gary Sax
1) If there's NOTHING, then it means you can't go that fast. If it has no || or | icon but a filled white bar, it means that you can't make a turn on that click. So the victory can only go 2 speed, and when it's going to 2 speed it can only turn 1 click on the second (IIRC) speed.

2) Interesting question. Fighters are actually way more effective than capital ships vs. defense tokens so it's sort of moot? Specifically, in Armada you'd rather roll a black die 10 times against a ship than roll a single 10 dice attack. Fighters generally do 1-2 damage at most, which means that the enemies only real option is a brace to move damage from 2->1 or shield deflection, which fighters can minimize by always being on the most vulnerable side of a ship if they're activated. I think an interesting open question is, all things being equal, if you want to fire your small cap ships first or your big cap ships. In practice, I find the point is often moot because you HAVE to fire something first or else the enemies get to move out of your best arcs.

As a larger point, you're getting at why the core game doesn't provide a very fun game. It's really hard to blow up decent size ships unless you play a 300-400 points game---it's difficult to exhaust or make an opponent discard defense tokens unless you concentrate fire of several capital ships against an enemy. With a 2 v 1, the Victory will often not even ever have to discard one of its defense tokens and can stay in the fight forever. With a bigger fleet action ships go down a lot faster and the game is much more deadly and fun---defense tokens getting knocked out all the time completely. I've had ships with no defense tokens left at all.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2016 18:04 by Gary Sax.

More
21 Sep 2016 18:33 #234715 by SuperflyPete
My observation is that it's always advantageous to have more ships even if they're weaker because you get more activations. It's always the same with most mini's games. More activations = more shots and with dice games, you generally get lucky if enough rolls are tossed
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
21 Sep 2016 19:02 #234724 by Michael Barnes
That's exactly right. More guns, more shooting. The cards futz with this somewhat, but by and large if I were playing SIRRISLY I would go for more ships over more cards. The points don't balance out either/or, but putting more guns on the table is never not a great idea.

On the wave 3+ thing...I alllllllllllmost think that casual players could call it a day after getting all of the wave 1/wave 2 stuff and then a Liberty just to give the Rebels a ISD-class ship. The other stuff, the flotillas and whatnot, are very much "advanced game" kind of additions. With all of wave 1/2 and doubles of everything EXCEPT the ISD and the Rogues and Villains pack, you have the makings of pretty much any kind of engagement you could want out of a space battle game. I really like wave 3 and the wave 4 stuff looks awesome so far, but I don't feel like they are essential.

I think the game actually works really well in balancing out the capabilities of F/B squadrons and cap ships...they can and will shoot the shit out of a cap if you can drop some defense tokens and give them some support.

Gary is totally right, in 300 points and up, you see ships get melted A LOT quicker than with just the base stuff. It can be kind of shocking how easily a mismanaged ship winds up getting annihilated early on.

What a funny rumor there is out there about Armada being originally designed at FFG to be a Battlefleet Gothic game...I think it is almost certainly bullshit (like GW was going to let FFG do a minis game like that), but it does point out a lot of the similarities between the two games. I think Armada is better, but there are some definite resonances.

More
21 Sep 2016 21:25 - 21 Sep 2016 22:21 #234734 by Gary Sax
I'm really skeptical about this next fighter pack (z-95 headhunters? shuttles?) , but I think the new small cap ships they're selling (from Rebels) look cool. Everything they've made so far has been cool enough that they've got the benefit of the doubt with me.

edit: All this Armada talk making me itch to get it on the table again.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2016 22:21 by Gary Sax.

More
22 Sep 2016 12:42 #234775 by SuperflyPete
I've found that 2x Space Whales and a X-Wing are a solid match against a Victory.

Only 1.5x the price, too! What a value!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds