October 09, 2023
2497 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2699 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Star Wars: Armada

More
04 Aug 2018 15:19 #279198 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic FFG's Star Wars: Armada
lol, didn't see the price. Yeah, that's too steep for me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2018 15:47 #279199 by Michael Barnes

Ha ha ha ha ha ha....

More
04 Aug 2018 16:05 #279200 by Gary Sax
So on one hand, it has 8 dice up front. On the other hand, the assault frigate has 7 IIRC.

I think this could be fun as almost a set piece. It's so fucking slow it basically just has to fly straight down the middle of the table barely turning. On the other hand, it has coverage of like the whole table from all its arcs if it's near the middle of it.

Also, two blue anti-squadron is more than I would have expected.

More
04 Aug 2018 20:16 #279221 by BillyBobThwarton
$200? FFG is rebranding as FFS
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Matt Thrower, Gary Sax, SebastianBludd, jpat

More
05 Aug 2018 04:32 #279224 by Matt Thrower
First thought I had when I saw it is who would bother with a $200 model of such a boring looking ship.

I actually thought support for Armada was being quietly dropped in favour of Legion and X-wing 2. Guess I was wrong.

More
05 Aug 2018 09:47 #279234 by Gary Sax
They just do a lot fewer releases for Armada... which I prefer anyway!

More
27 Jan 2019 11:21 - 27 Jan 2019 11:34 #290747 by Gary Sax
cannotgetyourshipout.blogspot.com/2019/0...rmada-is-at.html?m=1

This is a really good post that honestly is right on with a couple of problems I have with the game. The aces thing is very on point. In particular, stacking so many "within 1 distance" effects for fighters is just bad for game flow and poor design. That stuff doesn't matter to me much because I play so casually... also note that I do think the cap ships should have these effects. I still think Armada is, overall, better designed than X wing so I'm not sure as much would need to be changed in a 2.0

I'd be cool if they never did any more Armada stuff. I still haven't gotten profundity and thrawn, though I will if I happen to see them and money is in my pocket, they were not "too much" over the shark releases. I would also buy 2.0 upgrade kits to cover my shit if they ended up doing that. I *will* be interested to see if they decide to go xwing 2.0/GW and split imperial/rebel into eras/sides.
Last edit: 27 Jan 2019 11:34 by Gary Sax.

More
26 Mar 2019 14:09 #294537 by Gary Sax
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
26 Mar 2019 16:53 #294547 by Michael Barnes
Let me rewrite that press release as a courtesy for them:

“Distributor and retailer preorders for this extremely expensive product of very limited appeal that is intended to expand an unpopular and relatively unsuccessful range are lower than anticipated. We are assessing whether we want to continue with releasing it at a loss or writing off the development costs and cancelling it”.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jpat, Msample

More
26 Mar 2019 21:29 #294559 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic FFG's Star Wars: Armada
It’s a better game than X-Wing is and, for a while, was one of FFG’s top sellers.
The expansions are constantly needing new production runs after selling out and there is always a call for more releases on the forums.
But, sure...

More
26 Mar 2019 22:13 #294561 by Gary Sax
I feel like (0 inside info) X-wing has really ruined Asmodee execs on what success means in the minis space.

More
27 Mar 2019 05:07 #294567 by Matt Thrower

n815e wrote: It’s a better game than X-Wing is and, for a while, was one of FFG’s top sellers.
The expansions are constantly needing new production runs after selling out and there is always a call for more releases on the forums.

It's a better system than X-Wing. But I do feel some of the expansion material has spoiled it. The whole game now seems to be the meta where certain list types beat certain other list types. While there's an element of that in most list games, it seems particularly pronounced in Armada.

The problem is exacerbated by a lack of interest from the publisher, driven by poor commercials. I don't really feel the desire to play it anymore.

But then I've barely touched X-Wing 2 which did get the support and is, in theory, a significant improvement over the original, especially in terms of exactly that meta-problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
28 Mar 2019 16:02 #294687 by Gary Sax
www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/s...ducts/rebellion-rim/

Wasn't really expecting another campaign pack... but I will say from what I've heard the last one was quite, quite good. Basically it gives you a reason to try to not to get everything destroyed every game and makes you conserve resources a little. It also has very limited upgrade cards use iirc. Malloc swears by it and he plays a ton of Armada. I wish I had a partner to play regularly with, the campaign box would be very welcome if I did.

More
30 Mar 2019 10:17 #294781 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic FFG's Star Wars: Armada
FFG does do a poor job handling it, although I am happy that it is not the endless expansion pit that many games end up being.
I also don’t play competitively/in tournaments so I am not burned out on “the meta”.
There is a lot to discover and have fun with, even if they stopped making it now.
Some of the two dimensional qualities (ramming) could be improved.

Matt Thrower wrote:

n815e wrote: It’s a better game than X-Wing is and, for a while, was one of FFG’s top sellers.

It's a better system than X-Wing. But I do feel some of the expansion material has spoiled it. The whole game now seems to be the meta where certain list types beat certain other list types. While there's an element of that in most list games, it seems particularly pronounced in Armada.

The problem is exacerbated by a lack of interest from the publisher, driven by poor commercials. I don't really feel the desire to play it anymore.

But then I've barely touched X-Wing 2 which did get the support and is, in theory, a significant improvement over the original, especially in terms of exactly that meta-problem.

More
02 Aug 2019 10:34 - 02 Aug 2019 10:35 #300403 by Gary Sax
www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/...a-new-age-of-battle/

So both of these ships look really nice, I like them better than the SSD release and the themed old ship releases. I also like the very slow pace they're releasing these, whether that's because of slow sales or something else. But ultimately their problem is that they did such a good job in wave 1-3 that this game is pretty complete unless you're super into the game or a tournament guy. I still need to pick up the special thrawn ISD and the matching rebel ship before I even think about these.

I feel like they released a complete line and they keep once a year releasing ships to please the collectors and tourney folks but they 100% don't need to. I think I'm kind of happy with this release model, actually? It's sort of like releasing niche promo ships once in a while to please the BIG FANS but still having a pretty rock solid base game w/ early waves.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2019 10:35 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.350 seconds