October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Star Wars: Armada

More
10 Aug 2014 13:39 #184480 by ChristopherMD
They should have Kickstarted it and charged twice as much. Then BGG wouldn't complain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2014 13:52 #184481 by Hex Sinister
Thing is though, even if there is only like two squadron engagements the focus is still playing X-Wing twice to Armada once. If the average engagements are 3 or more than the play ratio gets really out of whack. That's cool if you want to mostly play X-Wing with Armada as a backdrop. Assuming each generic stand is a 100pt squad or something I don't see why you couldn't. But having an hour long squad duel where you're left with a 2 hit point tie fighter that just gets squashed in one dice roll by point defense weapons seems funny.

More
10 Aug 2014 14:12 #184482 by Gary Sax

Mad Dog wrote: They should have Kickstarted it and charged twice as much. Then BGG wouldn't complain.

God that is so true.

More
10 Aug 2014 17:44 #184498 by Sagrilarus
Looks cool, but this is no Saturn Offensive.

More
10 Aug 2014 19:59 #184507 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Re: FFG's Star Wars: Armada
Dude... the game comes with 10 squadron bases. I ain't playing it X-Wing style...

More
10 Aug 2014 20:58 #184512 by Jackwraith
Being able to transition between Armada and X-Wing would be kind of cool if you could sort it out. A couple friends and I played a 40K/BFG/Epic campaign where we would have all three games set up on separate tables. We'd start with BFG (like breaking a blockade to support a ground operation) and then shift to Epic (a reconnaissance in force) and then 40K (retrieving a fuel depot) at the appropriate points. It would take the better part of a day, but we were geeks like that...

More
11 Aug 2014 10:11 #184540 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic Re: FFG's Star Wars: Armada
This looks awesome. Seems to be the answer to getting large imperial ships into play, since there was no way to get Star Destroyers in an X-wing scale. I wonder if this means that there will be no huge ships for the imperial side in X-wing made.

I am really intrigued by the movement template and the idea that larger ships require more planning in advance on action (I picture Robo Rally type mistakes here, such as launching fighters off the board or taking evasive action when no other ships are anywhere close.)

Hopefully my buddy who owns all things X-wing will pick it (and all expansions) up and I can just play his copy. Although it might go on a Christmas wish list, because there is no way I could get away with spend $100 on another game, hell I have only bought one Wave 4 ship so far.

More
11 Aug 2014 11:10 #184550 by Sagrilarus
So . . . I haven't read all the promo material . . . this stuff is all coming unpainted? Assembled presumably?

More
11 Aug 2014 11:15 #184551 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Re: FFG's Star Wars: Armada
The little fighter squads are unpainted.
The bigger ships are.

I'm guessing the ships will be in the same quality and style and presentation of XWing.

More
11 Aug 2014 12:34 - 11 Aug 2014 12:35 #184557 by charlest
So something I've been thinking about related to this - anyone have a guess on whether the base game will include enough units for a full game (100 points in X-Wing)?

Does this mean a typical, 2-hour game, will include only a single Imperial ship yet it's called Armada? That's kind of strange.

Ok, say it doesn't and it's like 50%. You still can't field 2 actual Imperial Star Destroyers (which are bigger than the Victory Class Star Destroyer) right? Still odd since these are the iconic ships.

Step further, say the core is like 30% of the points of a full game and you can field 2 Imperial Star Destroyers in a normal full game (maybe if you take cheap ones). To get a full sized army, you're talking about 2 core sets and maybe an expansion or two.

For the equivalent in X-Wing, you'd be able to buy 2 core sets and 10 individual small ship expansions.

How much money do you have to spend in Armada to get a decent variety? Is two or three capital ship choices for the Imperial player enough to withstand many plays?

Just worrying out loud here as I'm trying to convince myself I don't need this. I have about $250-$300 in X-Wing and I feel I could play it every week for the rest of my life and have enough variety. I'm having a hard time imagining that being the case with 2 core Armada sets and a 3 or so expansions.
Last edit: 11 Aug 2014 12:35 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
11 Aug 2014 13:11 #184564 by SuperflyPete
With regard to "painting", I think mixing up a thin black wash and dunking the squadrons in (upside down) would be sufficient to bring out enough detail that they would look OK on the table. If you really wanted to go whiz-bang, break out an 000 brush and paint some orange on the hood, some sky blue on the windows, and then dip them in the wash.

More
11 Aug 2014 13:20 #184565 by VonTush
Pure wild guess here...So let the speculation commence!

I think it will feel more complete out of the box than XWing did. XWing has the general scenario of kill your opponent. Yes there are other missions, never played them myself, and know few people who have. That meant that the XWing v 2 Ties got boring quick...Especially with the fairly limited options as far as upgrades in the base game.

With Armada though I think it will have a bit more legs out of the box. With the game being objective focused (via use of those cards) and the game end triggering off of those you'll have more dynamic fleet construction.

It will have limits though. I have no illusions of this being anything but the beginning of a subscription purchase game. But I'm hoping that each new expansion ship is going to include a few more of these objective cards. That will hopefully keep the prior releases dynamic and fresh as they need different equipment/upgrades to function well with the new objectives/goals.

But then again...Maybe I'm giving these objective cards too much credit to mix up the game.

Another guess/speculation on my part is that I don't think we'll see the same use of clam-shell type packaging for this game. My guess is that we'll see them in little windowed boxes maybe paired with an additional fighter squad. Maybe a pair of Rebel Cap Ships. I'm guessing that Star Destroyer is about 5" in length.

More
11 Aug 2014 13:42 #184569 by Shellhead
This thread has me picturing a bunch of FAT:ties flopping around on the ground with fishhooks in their mouths.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, san il defanso, wadenels

More
11 Aug 2014 13:51 #184571 by Gary Sax
True. I'm willing to admit that a capital ship minis system set in the star wars universe does not have a serious hurdle to overcome with me.

More
11 Aug 2014 14:13 - 11 Aug 2014 14:14 #184575 by VonTush

Shellhead wrote: This thread has me picturing a bunch of FAT:ties flopping around on the ground with fishhooks in their mouths.

Except that its of my own free will if I purchase and play or not. I'm not being duped into buying something different than what I think it is.

And in general...Every time I see a post belittling or just looking down on people trying to, you know, talk about games on a website focused on, you know, games gets me pretty sad.
Last edit: 11 Aug 2014 14:14 by VonTush.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds