October 09, 2023
2456 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2660 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

The Romans - The Ragnar Brothers' Final Game

More
05 Feb 2019 14:15 #291663 by ubarose
Game description:
The Romans traces the history of the Roman Empire...

Ragnar Brothers last self published game is now in production and on schedule for delivery in late May. Less than 400 copies are avalible for purchase by emailing Ragnar Brothers at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2019 12:39 #291664 by ubarose
I can't decide whether to get this or not. I'm afraid it sounds a bit too much like they leaned in to make it more appealing to Eurogamers, and now the description sounds like a point salad. But the rest of the description makes it sound like an awesome Dudes on a Map Game. I may just have to make myself watch one of those play through videos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
06 Feb 2019 12:49 #291667 by Jackwraith
I'm in the same spot. First off: Rome! Hell, yeah. I'll play almost anything Rome.

The Romans traces the history of the Roman Empire from its inception as a small Italian Kingdom, through its development and expansion as a Republic and thence to the full blown Empire that dominated the classical world. Enemies mount challenges throughout the game and ultimately the barbarian invasions drive deep into the Empire with Rome itself as their target.

Traces the path of history! I'm on board. This will be like Sword of Rome, a game I love but rarely get a chance to play.

But this is not just a game of conquest. Senators grapple for power in the buildings of the capital and players will score victory points by developments through the game.

Hrm. Sounds kind of like the one Rome game I never really liked: Glory to Rome. Plus Lords of Waterdeep, which isn't bad, but which I already own.

Players start with four Senators and their number increases through the game as five buildings come into play. These Senators can be placed in the various buildings to gain promotions, recruit legions, take revenue and build cities, fortifications and fleets, gain victory points, and a whole lot more. Alternatively, the Senators flip to become Generals which the player then deploy with armies on their own map board to expand the Kingdom, Republic and Empire.

Even more Lords... but they become Generals! So you balance between keeping your senators home to gain VPs in town or sending them out to defend the Republic/Empire. This sounds like Republic of Rome, another game I loved but sold because it never (and I mean NEVER) got played.

Players make a range of decisions as there are multiple scoring opportunities and routes to victory.

I like this.

Game play is speedy and at time simultaneous.

I like this.

The fortune of dice rolling is mitigated by the sharing of many rolls and players who fall behind in the game will benefit from three recovery mechanisms that ensure the game remains tightly balanced until the dramatic climax of the game.

Uh... wait. That sounds like way too much of a patch job ("Euro players won't like dice! We need to tack on obvious workarounds so they won't simply reject it!")

This is the third quantum game from the Ragnar Brothers and gives players a unique opportunity for each to experience the thrilling rise of Roman power. The game also builds upon the auto-player mechanisms which have been a feature of the solo rules in their recent games.

Haven't played their other games, so nothing to compare it to in that respect. I'm still intrigued.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, bendgar

More
06 Feb 2019 13:10 #291677 by ubarose
You summed up my feelings exactly. It sounds like worker placement with senators in the buildings. There is some sort of conquest thing, but it is on your own board?????

Ragnar Brothers did History of the World, Promised Land & Angola. So they have serious DoaM and Wargame cred. But they also did Fire & Axe, DRCongo, and some other totally euro type games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith

More
06 Feb 2019 13:15 #291678 by Ken B.
Trajan featured the ability to turn your pieces into generals/armies for a map at the top part of the board. In fact, if I squint reading this description I can see Trajan in it. I enjoy Trajan but I'd never dream of calling it anything other than an optimization/point salad, just one with thematic trappings that I like and an inability to pinpoint the "super optimum point strategy" at any given time.

I'll look into this one as well, but just from a light reading this won't likely be a Dudes on a Map game, at least not as we know them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
06 Feb 2019 14:05 #291690 by Jackwraith

ubarose wrote: Ragnar Brothers did History of the World, Promised Land & Angola. So they have serious DoaM and Wargame cred. But they also did Fire & Axe, DRCongo, and some other totally euro type games.

Oh, right. Always wanted to try Angola, but never got to it.

More
06 Feb 2019 15:28 - 06 Feb 2019 15:28 #291697 by Space Ghost
Sort of off topic -- but, if you like Rome, I can't recommend Prof. Mary Beard's (from Cambridge) excellent history of Rome --- SPQR enough. Just an excellent book.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2019 15:28 by Space Ghost.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, RobertB, Cranberries

More
06 Feb 2019 16:06 #291703 by Jackwraith
Yep. Read it. It's solid.

More
06 Feb 2019 19:05 #291728 by Msample

Jackwraith wrote:

ubarose wrote: Ragnar Brothers did History of the World, Promised Land & Angola. So they have serious DoaM and Wargame cred. But they also did Fire & Axe, DRCongo, and some other totally euro type games.

Oh, right. Always wanted to try Angola, but never got to it.

Top 10 game for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds