Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

O
oliverkinne
November 30, 2021
87 0

The Metaverse

Essays
O
oliverkinne
November 29, 2021
297 0
O
oliverkinne
November 26, 2021
529 0

Lunar Base Board Game Review

Board Game Reviews
B
BradHB
November 26, 2021
375 0
J
Jackwraith
November 25, 2021
668 0
W
whowhatwhycast
November 24, 2021
342 0
A
adamr
November 24, 2021
696 0
T
thegiantbrain
November 23, 2021
315 0
O
oliverkinne
November 23, 2021
445 0
O
oliverkinne
November 22, 2021
553 0

Tharos Board Game Review

Board Game Reviews
B
BradHB
November 19, 2021
448 0
J
Jackwraith
November 18, 2021
1143 0
W
whowhatwhycast
November 17, 2021
457 0
O
oliverkinne
November 16, 2021
665 0
MB
Michael Barnes
November 15, 2021
1478 0
B
BradHB
November 12, 2021
549 0
×
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Aliens: Another Glorious Day in the Corps

More
20 Feb 2019 13:24 #292755 by ubarose
Players can play up to six different missions, taking them...

Aliens is a co‑operative survival boardgame where you and your team of specialist Colonial Marines will gear up with serious firepower and head into Hadley's Hope to find survivors and answers. But you're not alone. To survive, you'll need to work together, keep your cool, and stay frosty to fight off relentless Xenomorph ambushes and get out of there alive.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2019 14:44 #292756 by Msample
The genre and IP may be tired, but if anyone can pull it off it's GF9. Color me interested.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2019 14:53 #292759 by charlest

Msample wrote: The genre and IP may be tired, but if anyone can pull it off it's GF9. Color me interested.


I don't think we can give GF9 the benefit of the doubt anymore, their entire design team left to form Monster Fight Club. The designer of this game , Andrew Haught, was responsible for their Dr. Who game (which had mixed reactions here and mostly ratings of mediocre eslewhere).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, southernman, Gary Sax, jpat, Msample, Frohike, WadeMonnig, Vysetron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2019 14:59 #292760 by ubarose
@Charlest

What is Monster Fight Club working on, do you know?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2019 14:59 #292761 by Vysetron
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, charlest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2019 15:14 #292766 by charlest
Yeah, they just unveiled that at New York Toy Fair. I think they've also hinted at some kind of miniatures game with a fantasy theme, but that was only a single promo shot recently.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2019 08:09 #292806 by Jackwraith

charlest wrote: I don't think we can give GF9 the benefit of the doubt anymore, their entire design team left to form Monster Fight Club. The designer of this game , Andrew Haught, was responsible for their Dr. Who game (which had mixed reactions here and mostly ratings of mediocre eslewhere).


Not trying to split hairs because it's a valid point, but it wasn't the whole design team, right? IIRC, it was Kovaleski, the founder, their officer manager, and (the most important part) Aaron Dill, who was lead on Spartacus, Firefly, and Star Trek: Ascendancy. Dill is obviously the key there, since those are probably GF9's best releases, but I don't think the studio was totally gutted.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2019 08:33 - 21 Feb 2019 08:35 #292808 by Josh Look
I’m still curious about this, but not like I was when it was announced a year ago. I think the main force driving my interest at this point is whether or not GF9 can rebound. The Doctor Who game was a misstep, but the real trouble started in Firefly Adventures, a fine game with cool ideas, but it’s in desperate need of an editor and feels like development was abandoned somewhere in the homestretch. I’m not hearing terrific things about Vault of Dragons, either.
Last edit: 21 Feb 2019 08:35 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2019 08:45 - 21 Feb 2019 08:46 #292809 by charlest

Jackwraith wrote:

charlest wrote: I don't think we can give GF9 the benefit of the doubt anymore, their entire design team left to form Monster Fight Club. The designer of this game , Andrew Haught, was responsible for their Dr. Who game (which had mixed reactions here and mostly ratings of mediocre eslewhere).


Not trying to split hairs because it's a valid point, but it wasn't the whole design team, right? IIRC, it was Kovaleski, the founder, their officer manager, and (the most important part) Aaron Dill, who was lead on Spartacus, Firefly, and Star Trek: Ascendancy. Dill is obviously the key there, since those are probably GF9's best releases, but I don't think the studio was totally gutted.


If you look at the design credits on all of their games of the past (besides Dr. Who), Kovaleski, Dill, and Sweigart are the listed designers. Sweigart passed away, and Dill and Kovaleski have left as you noted.

Peter Przekop is the other person who left. He handled PR, demos, kind of jack of all trades. He also handled playtesting (he was lead on that) and wrote their rulebooks I believe.

I'm sure there's some behind the scenes people that were there before still plugging away, but I hardly think that should breed confidence. The trio of designers for all of their hits are gone.

I'm still excited for this game by the way and not trying to be overly negative, I'm just issuing caution.
Last edit: 21 Feb 2019 08:46 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Jackwraith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2019 09:35 #292814 by Shellhead
Gale Force Nine hasn't been the same since Sweigart died.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2019 10:01 - 21 Feb 2019 10:03 #292817 by WadeMonnig

Josh Look wrote: I’m still curious about this, but not like I was when it was announced a year ago. I think the main force driving my interest at this point is whether or not GF9 can rebound. The Doctor Who game was a misstep, but the real trouble started in Firefly Adventures, a fine game with cool ideas, but it’s in desperate need of an editor and feels like development was abandoned somewhere in the homestretch. I’m not hearing terrific things about Vault of Dragons, either.

I'm going to make some assumptions here, so don't take this as gospel. When Brigands and Browncoats was announced, they said there were other ideas kick around for firefly: The game and this was one of them. Swiegart is listed as a designer on the bgg page for this. So, maybe they took his unfinished ideas and made this game. It would explain a lot.
Last edit: 21 Feb 2019 10:03 by WadeMonnig.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2019 10:28 #292822 by Shellhead
I think that both the Doctor Who and Firefly Adventures games were works in progress when Sweigart died. That seems like the turning point in terms of quality.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2019 10:39 #292824 by Sagrilarus
Is someone credited as Developer? The more I look the more I find that that's the role that seems to be critical to success on bigger games. A good developer herds the ideas, and points out the problems before they go to press.

I think I've only played one Gale Force 9 game -- Firefly -- and not with all the expansions. Seemed like a very good time to me. But I sure ain't an expert on their stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2019 10:57 #292828 by charlest

Shellhead wrote: I think that both the Doctor Who and Firefly Adventures games were works in progress when Sweigart died. That seems like the turning point in terms of quality.


Unless I'm mistaken, Sweigart (and the other designers) had nothing to do with Doctor Who. They're not credited and it looks like they never worked on it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2019 11:03 #292829 by hotseatgames
While I know very little about this game, I suspect it will have a hard time beating Nemesis at its own game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds