October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Aliens: Another Glorious Day in the Corps

More
22 Feb 2019 15:49 #292925 by charlest
Peter Przekop reached out to me to clarify some things and he OK'd me sharing this:

"Hi Charlie

I saw the thread regarding GF9's forthcoming Aliens game on There Will Be Games. I wanted to chime in with my own two cents.

My main role in games development was getting our work approved by our licensing partners, I also coordinated some our playtesting in our Virginia studio, but Aaron also coordinated playtesting from his home in Georgia and the other other Battlefront offices in the US, UK and NZ also contributed to playtesting.

Rulebooks were written by Aaron and Sean.

You are correct that no one from our studio did any work on Doctor Who and Aliens.

Battlefront, Gale Force Nine's parent company has studios both in New Zealand and the UK. The NZ studio is responsible for the development of Battlefront's miniature games, they also handled the development of Doctor Who and Aliens (and coordinated the graphic design of Tyrants of the Underdark which was designed by Peter Lee and Rodney Thompson from Wizards of the Coast). Our small team developed the rest of the boardgames beginning with Spartacus.

Monster Fight Club has two boardgame designs that we are currently working on as well as a miniature project. Tentacle Town is the first of those boardgames and we'll be talking about that more next month. We're also doing a lot of behind the scenes stuff, working with other entertainment and game companies, helping some with design and production or just doing general consulting for others.

We're all proud of all the work that was done at Gale Force Nine and we're excited to see what they will be doing in future."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2019 05:57 - 24 Feb 2019 06:03 #292958 by Shapeshifter
Gosh, I was looking forward to this one. Purely as a concept (i'm not a as big a fan of the movie as I once was) I just love the whole claustrophobic setting of a team trapped and confronted with an unbeatable nemesis.
I tried the leading edge game, and while the rules were a lovely read, full of fiddly detail, the actual gameplay worked better using the online flash-version than as an actual boardgame, at least for me. For years I was hoping someone would snatch the license and offer us a streamlined experience based on this movie.

And here we are. A full co-op game with what looks like a smart card mechanic on offer (based on some detail shots of cards found elsewhere over the net). And yet I feel a bit reluctant to be hopeful for a worthy Aliens game.
Somehow the bland tiles, space hulk-blips and generic overall look doesn't scream freshness to me.
That, coupled with the fact galeforce is not galeforce as we knew it, makes me a bit lukewarm on this release.

And still...I am pretty sure I will grab a copy as soon as it hits my local flg. Maybe out of nostalgia for the past. Those glorious days when the movie hit theatres and we were all sitting back and experiencing this rollercoaster trip. I was just the right age for this movie to be both exhilirating and scary. And yes, there is still a craving for a cool Aliens game.
I hope this game will simulate the feeling of dread, moving inside these tight corridors with an invisible enemy approaching...not knowing when it will strike. An aspect the leading edge game did quite well (in a charming oldskool kinda way) through random spawning on the board.

Time will tell...
Last edit: 24 Feb 2019 06:03 by Shapeshifter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, Gary Sax

More
25 Feb 2019 21:58 #293030 by jason10mm
Wasn't there just an aliens tactical mini game? The IP is an instant win for me but how many times can we re-fight LV426? I need something that expands the IP. Get some of that Arcturian poontang!

Who even controls this IP anymore? Some lawyer at Fox? Cameron? Disney at this point?

More
13 Jul 2020 18:07 #311990 by jpat
The expansions' names seem, like the Colonial Marines themselves, trying too hard to be cool. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have some problems with either publicity or FLGS shelf presence. Mayhap they will reconsider.

More
09 Aug 2020 18:23 #312932 by Kadmon
This was an interesting preview, thank you! I've linked your work in my article about the game: alkony.enerla.net/english/the-nexus/boar...game-base-set-review
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds